• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hmm interesting to hear that the playing numbers are down across all clubs. I was worried it may have been only GPS! The Gallopers won't have any trouble fielding a 3rd grade side but in years past there were another 20 or so excess blokes to make up 4th grade and they are no where to be seen. In fact some of the coaches have been strapping up the boots to provide some reserve numbers during these hot early trials. Not an ideal situation to be in just before Round 1 starts.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
That is indeed a good side TT.

Hopefully Gunn pulls on a Red jersey this weekend and not a Blue & Gold one ;)

Not sure on ours yet. Will need to assess the injuries from Saturday as we seemed to lose a few!!! Was very frustrating.

Will let you know on Sat at 3.19pm :D

Yeah very similar situation at Norths, Big Dog. Boys playing 1 & 1/2 to 2 games on the weekend and then backing up again. Not good for the health for sure. I wonder what the ARU stance is on this? Increased risk of injury, possibly decreasing playing group numbers even more :(

Something needs to be done quick smart, for the good of the game!!!
Yes its only lower grade stuff, but it has an impact on the highest grades for sure

ANYWAY I digress... again.... :D

On a side note, our Colts coaching and management team have done a great job in increasing the playing numbers at Shaw Road this year. Some massive young men coming through. Hopefully they stay in the game as long as possible, for Norths and QRU sake.

T

Tigers Tale

A Souths source told me that they were struggling for numbers in Colts.

A second Souths colts side (i.e. Colts 1) playing out the season is doubtful for 2015.

This is not just a one club issue but is another issue that hits the participation numbers - when I raised the issue of an inability to engage school leavers to continue in rugby in 2013 as being a major issue (Easts & Wests struggled with colts number that year) Rod McCall told me that it was a club issue and other clubs had to be more like GPS who don't struggle for colts numbers.

With respect I think playing numbers at colts level is a QRU/ARU issue and they need to work with the clubs to ensure that the school leavers are not lost to the game.

Great to hear that Norths are doing well in this regard as it shows a real sign of their endeavour to achieve sustained improvement from the bottom up - I hope they get some good results on the paddock just not this Saturday.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TT funnily enough I just heard the same thing about Souths Colts numbers. Apparently they are in serious trouble.

Seems really odd to me as they have great pathways coaches at Souths in Picone (player manager) and Arnold (Aus U20s). I wonder where they have all gone as Souths were able to field a Colts 2 side last year.

T

Tigers Tale

Big Dog - I think Souths might even have been colts 2 premiers in 2014.

No Uni beat Logan in the 2014 Colts II GF.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm not an astute business man... BUT:

200 players paying $200.00 is better for the game than 100 players paying $400.00.

Isn't it?? o_O

Moving on now... I promise.

#QPR2015 will be an interesting one.

I think the Reds performances will have a big impact on the club scene with players getting a shot a bit earlier in their careers than expected as RG will try to stop his ship from sinking.

Just seems to be a lot of injuries around in all levels. Earlier start? Harder grounds?

How will Bond go with their new and unique set up. What is their goal and how soon? If they don't make top 4 this year, will it be classed as a failure with all the $$ that have been thrown at it?

Will Sunnybank be ok through the early part of the season with the 7s program running at the same time? Do they have the depth to manage?

Will UQ push through the season with a solid record again?

Will Brothers and the Tupou's "TwoBros" (see what I did there? :D) be as damaging as their preseason form indicates?

Will the Norths, Easts, Souths and Wests fly under the radar?

Will the experience at GPS get them through to another top 4 spot?

Will I find a sunscreen lotion that doesn't sting my eyes when my head leaks in this early season sun!!

All very important questions :)

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
TT funnily enough I just heard the same thing about Souths Colts numbers. Apparently they are in serious trouble.

Seems really odd to me as they have great pathways coaches at Souths in Picone (player manager) and Arnold (Aus U20s). I wonder where they have all gone as Souths were able to field a Colts 2 side last year.

I think alot of the guys around this age are going to league as there are opportunities for them to make teams in 18's and 20's club rugby fails the guys at this age as there is nothing to strive for. The colts know that if they haven't made a school boy team there chances of going any further with union are slim. Rugby union needs to do more to keep all the young men in the game not just the ones that were great at school.

T

TOCC

Should colts be realigned to a U20 pathway, especially now with Queensland student finishing school when they are 18, that's 1 less year that players will be able to turn out for colts.. Colts numbers will struggle even more once this has filtered through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The cohort that started in prep are now in year 7. When they finish I expect the colts age to rise. Increasing the Colts age now could actually decrease numbers as guys could be 17 playing against 20 year olds.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
In Prems you could have 18-20 year olds playing against 30+ year olds??

E.g. Garrath Ryan @ Norths. One of the better and consistent PROPS in QPR2014. (biased opinion of course ;))

I never played in a Colts grade set up at club - something I'll always regret. School to Prems etc. But I think if the Rep team is U20... then the club grade should also be U20. Not rocket science.

Back then (in NZ), there was Under 19s and Under 21s. They were the rep sides. So the club sides were also U19s and U21s. Just makes sense.
Out of School - into U19s then move up to U21s or Prems if you were good enough, otherwise it was a good stepping stone for some kids who couldn't quite match it with the big boys yet and it kept them in the game longer. Some developed into Premier players through this pathway. Some didn't and went on to play grade rugby for the next 10+ years.

Nothing wrong with that.

Similar thing needs to happen with U20s.

E.g. At the moment, a colts 1 or colts 2 player - who, at the age of 19, isn't a big man or a great player, has to move into grades against guys who may be mid 30s, played 10-15 years of prems, or think they should have.

Not very attractive for a kid who just wants to play some rugby.

Where does he go??? If there isn't a team for him... he is lost to the game :(

Again - referring to NZ (sorry) - we have an Under 85kg grade and it is MASSIVE in Auckland and across NZ.

Maybe something to look at to attract more players, or keep existing ones??

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Easts side will be something like:

1. Paraka
2. Ready
3. Sanday
4. Moore
5. ???
6. Barker
7. Gunn (if released by QRU U20)
8. Fox
9. Mullins
10. Brandon
11. Wilder
12. ??
13. White
15. Elliot Hagan

That's not a bad side - it will win more than it loses.

TGB what will the Norths side look like?

Hagan has gone to Easts?! Man that is a big pickup... he was very good for UQ a couple of years back. No doubt a season or 2 over in NZ has continued his development. Wish he had come back to the Heavies.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Back then (in NZ), there was Under 19s and Under 21s. They were the rep sides. So the club sides were also U19s and U21s. Just makes sense.
Out of School - into U19s then move up to U21s or Prems if you were good enough, otherwise it was a good stepping stone for some kids who couldn't quite match it with the big boys yet and it kept them in the game longer. Some developed into Premier players through this pathway. Some didn't and went on to play grade rugby for the next 10+ years.

This changed in Oz in 2000 I believe. Used to be u19 & u21. It's a tough one, go much more than u19s and you can have a huge size differential. Issue then is you have 19/20 year olds playing against opens after colts.

We had an unofficial Under 21/20 team after our colts years for transition and keeping those players together, also at the time the club had more than enough grade players. Obviously the well developed players went straight up into Reggies and Prems if they were good enough (Squeek, Graham, Mitchell etc). Well over half of that u21 team then went on to play Premier grade... pretty much all the rest contributed immensely to the higher grade rugby in the years after that.... then slowly slipped down as the bodies broke and work took priority. I see a lot of younger guys take a year or two off after colts because they don't feel they are physically ready for grades or are worried about not playing with their mates.

It's something I think could help with the retention of those players who aren't going to be superstars but are still very good rugby players. The type of guys you build a good amateur rugby club around.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have always wanted premier colts to be under 20's with the rest of Colts under 19's.
This way Prem colts can play under the proper laws and we can develop frontrowers.
It also a good pathway for those fridge players because if they are 20 and don't make prem colts that week they slot into grades and learn that it's not the scary playing with the older fellas.
I understand prioritys change but the loss of players from colts to grades is criminal if we want to keep this sport alive.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Colts was U20 across the board in 1999, then went to Under 19. I can't recall if there was an U21 grade, but I don't think so.

It went to U19 because the (then) IRB decided to have an U19 world championship and then an U21 world championship. When they reverted to the single Junior World Cup the QRU didn't switch back.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Colts was U20 across the board in 1999, then went to Under 19. I can't recall if there was an U21 grade, but I don't think so.

It went to U19 because the (then) IRB decided to have an U19 world championship and then an U21 world championship. When they reverted to the single Junior World Cup the QRU didn't switch back.

Apologies I Meant U20s and and u21 comp which changed in 2000 to U19. Don't quote me on then u21 finished but there definitely used to be a comp for that just prior to the u19 change. Remember the club discussing it but was just before my time.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets what is the Sunnybank side for round 1 looking like?

I no longer work at Sunnybank TT so I have no knowledge about how they are going.

I am looking at heading down to St Lucia on Saturday to watch Uni play Bond.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
When I left school we player Colts (U19) and then transitioned into U21's. I think 1995 was the last year it was a proper competition as I player 1st Grade (Premier) in 1996 when still eligible for U21 as there wasn't a comp any more.

U21's was the best fun I had in rugby, mostly due to having a great squad of players. There was only one team so we were together the entire year, apart from when some players player 1st Grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.