• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Swansong - be careful we have heard gloom and doom from GPS before!!

They seem to have great sponsorship support - well done & good luck to them on that front - so they probably have their financial viability secured which is great for the GPS club, but they do seem to suffer from the same thing that QLD Cricket did before they won their first Sheffield Shield in 1995!!

Problem with a reputation of just coming up short is that you can't rid yourself of it until you actually win it, and you only get one chance a year to achieve that.

Given the list of player movements at GPS that I listed yesterday I think they may struggle to make the top 4 this year purely on the basis that they won't secure enough wins throughout the course of the season before they get all their stars back for an end of season assault - you only have to drop 3 games at the start of the season and you are very nearly on wood.

(This is based upon prior season stats which show if you drop 5 games you'll miss the top 4 and if you drop 4 you may or may not make it.)

They play away in all bar 2 of their first round matches (except Bros & Bond) so they will have their hands full in the first part of the season - I hope Easts can make it difficult for them this Saturday at Bottomley.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Swansong, your mail is a bit off but generally hit the right notes. Matt Winkley is no longer the S&C for Premier Grade. There were creative differences between him and the coaches from what I understand and they agreed to part ways.

Winkfit is still very much a part of the GPS community and that relationship is strong. Hardly falling a part at the seams but it is sad that Winks wasn't able to continue his work with Prems.

Thanks for the vote of confidence TT. I think it will be a hard slog for the boys during the first round but over the last few weeks I've gotten some faith that Dammers is doing a pretty damn good job.

T

Tigers Tale

There doesn't seem to be a Doughty Shield table in the QRU website.

It use to be with the Premier Rugby stuff along with top points/try scorers.

T

Tigers Tale

Just had to throw some darts before this weekend Big Dog.

Looking forward to it - GPS & Easts have had some very tight contests over the last 5/6 years, with both clubs sharing the spoils.

Strangely I think that the away team might have been more successful than the home team over that period. I can certainly remember some costly losses for the Tigers at Bottomley.

Last year it was a draw at Yoku and a win for Easts at Bottomley. In 2013 I think it was two wins to GPS in the regular season and two wins for Easts in the finals.

The game should give both clubs a good gage as to what their respective seasons might deliver.

Pardon the pun but with GPS having the bye last week Easts will be hoping that GPS are short of a gallop!!!

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
I am sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what the GPS side (1-15) was that played Qld 20's on the weekend. Obviously due to the bye, they are the only team who's current starting XV we don't know.

From what I can remember/players I know.
1. Ryan Freney (returning 2014 player)
2. Feleti Kaitu'u (from souths)
3. Dylan Lindsay (returning to the club after a number of injuries)
4. Dan Gorman (returning 2014 player)
7. Waita Setu (has been all over the shop, wests most recent qld team?)
8. Michael Richards (returning 2014 player)
9. Tom Christie (returning 2014 player)
10. Edan Campbell-OBrien (from ACT, was involved with Canberra Vikings)
11. Isaac Weir (returning 2014 player)
12. Somi Tupou (returning 2014 player)
13. Kimami Situata (Has been with reds, brumbies, rebels, and most recently bay of plenty in the ITM cup)
14. Byron Roberts (returning 2014 player)
15. Dan Earley (returning to the club after working in the mines..?)

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Whilst it seems GPS may be a victim of their own success, I honestly cant see that happening at all.

Building such a great playing group and depth over the past several years will benefit them in the years to come.

Whilst they may not have brought home THE Trophy as many times as they would have liked, they still have plenty of silverware in their cabinet.

The majority of the GPS players that have developed into Reds or other Rep players, have done so through the GPS system.... so something there is working.

No reason why that system wouldn't or couldn't continue with the current club playing and coaching group.... unless there is a drastic change in the way things are done??

But again, I can't see that happening. If there was something out of order, I'm sure the club wouldn't let it develop.

Now if they could just prevent the temperature from dropping 10 degrees when that sun disappears over the hill... that would be great :D

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
GBS - $475 seems like a fair whack, but I imagine all other clubs are around the same. Out of interest, what do players get for that money?

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
GBS - $475 seems like a fair whack, but I imagine all other clubs are around the same. Out of interest, what do players get for that money?

The 475 will get you shorts/socks/cap and I think maybe a polo. Also hopefully free entry for all home games. Our numbers are ok but I know for a few it has been the one issue for not playing this year.

T

Tigers Tale

At Easts its $515(Seniors) & $350(Colts), so that is comparative to Brothers - $475.

Clearly Filth the admission revenue is providing your guys with a $40 reduction on the Tigers.

I will say it again - Brothers should not be allowed to charge people to watch Grades & Colts rugby - it is just outrageous.

What are the rego fees at the other clubs?

I see for 2015 UQ is $380 (Seniors & Colts).

On the GPS website they have their 2013 registration fees which were $400 - so with the recent ARU/QRU hikes they would have to be in excess of $500.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
$495 for Seniors and I think $350 for Colts (not absolutely sure) at Souths. So certainly comparable with most Clubs.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Why is University a lot cheaper than all the other clubs?

The contribution from the Foundation (varies each year) and bucketloads of fundraising events go a long way to covering the operational costs of the club so that more $$ can be put towards making rugby affordable for students to play.

Without the Foundation (the club will forever owe Bruce Brown, Eric Anning et al for the action they took in the mid-90s) I have no doubt the cost of playing at Uni would be well in-line with all other clubs.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
$425 @ Norths for Seniors. Unsure for Colts but I THINK its around $250?

Socks, Shorts, Training Singlet, Training Shirt and Polo Shirt.

And of course all the ARU insurances in the world that only seem to cover one guy - Jack Schit.

Imagine if they got rid of all that?? On the Rego form - "Do you have your own Insurance - Yes/No" - "Please provide details"
And then a waiver - "play at your own risk - the ARU are not liable for any injuries".

Would that stand up???

butcher

Frank Row (1)
At Easts its $515(Seniors) & $350(Colts), so that is comparative to Brothers - $475.

Clearly Filth the admission revenue is providing your guys with a $40 reduction on the Tigers.

I will say it again - Brothers should not be allowed to charge people to watch Grades & Colts rugby - it is just outrageous.

What are the rego fees at the other clubs?

I see for 2015 UQ is $380 (Seniors & Colts).

On the GPS website they have their 2013 registration fees which were $400 - so with the recent ARU/QRU hikes they would have to be in excess of $500.

Bring your $5 for parking when you go Sylvan Rd this year. Not too sure if the Brothers situation is better or worse than the Dogs charging people to park on council land.

T

Tigers Tale

Looks like we might see how the famed GPS Reserve Grade side who plenty have said would hold their own in Premier Grade will go this year given the lineup that Eldiablo published yesterday - namely:

From what I can remember/players I know.
1. Ryan Freney (returning 2014 player)
2. Feleti Kaitu'u (from souths)
3. Dylan Lindsay (returning to the club after a number of injuries)
4. Dan Gorman (returning 2014 player)
7. Waita Setu (has been all over the shop, wests most recent qld team?)
8. Michael Richards (returning 2014 player)
9. Tom Christie (returning 2014 player)
10. Edan Campbell-OBrien (from ACT, was involved with Canberra Vikings)
11. Isaac Weir (returning 2014 player)
12. Somi Tupou (returning 2014 player)
13. Kimami Situata (Has been with reds, brumbies, rebels, and most recently bay of plenty in the ITM cup)
14. Byron Roberts (returning 2014 player)
15. Dan Earley (returning to the club after working in the mines..?)

Would it be fair to say that only Freney, Gorman & possibly Roberts would have been full strength Premier Grade selections for GPS last year.

Granted there are a number of players here who are returning to or joining the club, I think it would be fair to say that many of these guys would not have played much Premier Grade for GPS in 2013/2104 if at full strength.

Where have Zangary, McWhirter, Herbert, Ferguson, Jono Ellis, etc gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.