• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
This was before Mitch Third was confirmed to be leaving the club for Bond.

Jake wanted to start for a Premier Grade side and was thoroughly blocked at Sunnybank before both obstacles vanished.
Once he was starting there was no reason to leave, much to Wests disappointment.

Thanks - that makes sense. Why leave home if you don' have to.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Congrats to GPS today in Premier Grade - it is always a tough encounter.

29-27 was the final score with a conversion missed at the end by Bros. Brothers spent the majority of the game with only 14 players. And at one point 10 mins with only 13. To get within a conversion of drawing the game shows a bit of guts by Brothers.

The refereeing was below average and that description is being very generous. I don't usually criticise referees as it is a tough job, but honestly some of the decisions were atrocious. It is a bit disappointing, but that's footy. Not taking the win away from Jeeps, though.

Congrats to the other teams who won.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Been a big couple of weeks for UQ as a club. The kings college trip to Hong Kong not only took the 6 premier grade players The king mentioned before but a total 14 players from prems to 2nd grade which has obviously forced a huge amount of reshuffling.

Add to that Mitch Wade, Jimmy Dalgleish, Angus Scott-Young and Maclean Jones where all out this week joining Sam Reiser, Tonga Maafu, Harry Parker and Cliffy Setu on the short term injury list.

So to get away wins over pretty good opponents in Bond and Wests not only in Premier Grade but a lot of the grades is a great effort by the club.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Also a shout out to wests. Not the result they where casing in Prems but watching all of their team help pack up the fields post game just goes to show a really good and strong culture they are building down there.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Premier
Norths 36 (A Gibbon 3 D Paia’Aua M Fuller tries D Paia’Aua pen 4 cons) d Easts 18 (A Campbell L Wright tries M Mason 2 pens con)
GPS 29 (F Kaituu M King W Setu P Nicholson tries Penalty try R Batibasaga 2 cons) d Brothers 27 (M Felsman 2 tries E Bailee M Mafi tries S Hyne pen 2 cons)
Sunnybank 42 (S Mellor T Tualima G Bloomfield I Fines-Leleinasa J Laloifi tries J Strachan 3 pens 4 cons) d Bond University 28 (M Sikuea T Siakisini G Qasavarptini T Harris tries M Third 4 cons)
University of Queensland 35 (L Fiddow J de Guingand J Birch T Banks tries Penalty try T Pincus 5 cons) d Wests 17 (R Cleeton L Ferry tries R Aitisi pen 2 cons)

Team P W L D F A DIFF 4+ >7 T
University of Queensland 4 3 1 0 107 75 32 2 0 14
Norths 4 3 1 0 108 106 2 2 0 14
Souths 3 3 0 0 85 72 13 1 0 13
Brothers 4 2 2 0 132 95 37 3 2 13
Sunnybank 4 2 2 0 134 128 6 3 1 12
GPS 3 1 2 0 73 80 -7 2 2 8
Wests 3 1 2 0 58 62 -4 1 1 6
Bond University 4 1 3 0 97 120 -23 2 0 6
Easts 3 0 3 0 38 94 -56 0 0 0

Premier Reserve
Norths 27 d Easts 15
Brothers 42 d GPS 21
Sunnybank 25 d Bond University 17

Premier Colts
Easts 31 d Norths 15
Brothers 22 d GPS 8
Bond University 28 d Sunnybank 27
University of Queensland 19 d Wests 15

Brisbane Premiership
1st Grade
Easts 16 d Norths 7
Brothers 20 d GPS 12
Sunnybank 11 d Logan City 8
University of Queensland 25 d Wests 5

2nd Grade
Easts 73 d Norths 12
Brothers 45 d GPS 7
Logan City 42 d Sunnybank 20

3rd Grade
GPS 19 d Brothers 14
University of Queensland 32 d Wests 22
Logan City wof Sunnybank

4th Grade
Brothers 56 d GPS 0

Women
Sunnybank 52 d Logan City 0
Wests 46 d University of Queensland 7

Colts 1
Easts 57 d Norths 8
Brothers 50 d GPS 5
Bond University 40 d Sunnybank 37
University of Queensland 69 d Wests 0

Colts 2
Sunnybank 39 d Easts 36
Brothers 24 d GPS 19

Round 1
Colts 3
Helensvale 38 d Ipswich 5

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
GPS got their season off the launch pad with a fantastic win over Brothers on Saturday. Solid performance in all areas.

How about Norths!! On top of the table equal with Uni having now won three from four.

Top 5 have now established a one game break on the chasing pack but watch out for GPS - next four matches are against Bond, Wests, Easts and Norths which look like they represent a good opportunity to extend winning streak to five matches.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Should be noted that 4 out of the top 5 have played an extra game so really just Bond and Easts falling behind so far.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It doesn't get any easier for Easts, as they verse the Students this weekend. Followed by Sunnybank the week later.

Mind you, it also doesn't get any easier for Brothers who take on premiers Souths this weekend. It is at Crosby Park which helps the home team. Can't recall the last time the Magpies had a victory on Jack Ross Oval, maybe 2006-07?

Should be an awesome game. Let's hope there are no coloured cards distributed like the last regular fixture game. Best behaviour from your boys Warhorse. Haha.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Filth do you know exactly how many cards were given in the game? I thought I had it right but am hearing different stories.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS v Bros on the weekend.

Am I right that there was a red card involved? And GPS finished the game with a man/men in the bin?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Correct.

Matt Mafi and Fitzgerald (or another back) both received a yellow followed by Symes with a Red. GPS then received two very late YCs in the 79th and 80th minute respectively.

I won't say much more, but some were very debatable, even the second one to GPS.

Your boys played well though, BD. Brothers can take a lot of positivity away from the loss though. In previous years, if playing with 13 men for 10 minutes - the floodgates would have opened up. Keeping a red hot GPS team to scoring only one try in that 10 minutes was a very good effort. A lot of fire in the belly with Brothers this year. Hopefully we can get a few more wins.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Correct.
I won't say much more, but some were very debatable, even the second one to GPS.

Not Having a go, but I think you might have the butcher-stripe tinted glasses on... Just watched the stream and from what I saw and heard from the ref all cards were fair and by the law.
  • Matt Mafi (BROS) gets a YC at 24 minutes for a neckroll; no arguments; WR (World Rugby) directive that dangerous play to the neck constitutes an automatic binning.
  • Symes (BROS) Red Card at 54 minutes for a headbutt in the scrum; you can see the head come through in the video not sure if it connects. Afterwards a Brothers players pulls him to the back saying "don't be F***ing idiot." If he has headbutted a player, then he deserves to be sent off, no arguments. And the player had none after he was shown the red.
  • Pierce Fitzgerald (BROS) gets a YC at 59 minutes for a cynical knockdown in the in goal area, preventing a try. I was taught this from u6 that if you knocked the ball out on purpose to prevent a try you're going to give away a penalty try and probably get binned. An that's what the ref did.
  • Then in the last 2 minutes GPS give away repeated penalties at the breakdown, with GPS #19 & GPS #6 both getting given the YCs. Too many cynical breakdown offences conceded, Yellows deserved.
The Ref did seem a bit average in his communication I must admit, but overall his decisions made seemed sound.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It doesn't get any easier for Easts, as they verse the Students this weekend. Followed by Sunnybank the week later.

Mind you, it also doesn't get any easier for Brothers who take on premiers Souths this weekend. It is at Crosby Park which helps the home team. Can't recall the last time the Magpies had a victory on Jack Ross Oval, maybe 2006-07?

Should be an awesome game. Let's hope there are no coloured cards distributed like the last regular fixture game. Best behaviour from your boys Warhorse. Haha.
I was out of the country for the last 2015 fixture between Souths and Brothers but I watched the video and if memory serves me well it was a Brothers player who received a Red card. I know there was a stupid act by a Souths reserve from the bench but not from the Souths players on the field. Should be a good game all the same.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Neville Magee

Stan Wickham (3)
Good memory WH. One of the Brothers' forwards took the bait and paid the price. Silly behaviour.
That was the same game that saw Felsman, late in the game, dart out in the course of a penalty conversion attempt by the Souths kicker and actually get to the ball before the kicker after he shimmied in the lead up to his kick and misjudged Felsman's speed.
The ref was talking to the waterboy and missed the whole thing and ruled against Felsman. (He was not in the image as he had turned to the waterboy and stepped towards him) Kick converted, Souths win by 1 point and then did not look back for the Finals' series as the win pushed them into the final four ahead of the Bank. If the ref was watching, they lose by 1 point and go no further. The reality check is that everyone read the scoreboard at the end of the game. The clutch of refs (is that the collective noun) sitting on the fence behind Felsman were gobsmacked at the call. Pinecone is still probably chuckling. Check the video.
2015 Rd 18 Brothers v Souths_Premier Grade (773).JPG

2015 Rd 18 Brothers v Souths_Premier Grade (774).JPG

2015 Rd 18 Brothers v Souths_Premier Grade (778).JPG

2015 Rd 18 Brothers v Souths_Premier Grade (780).JPG

So, yes, definitely will be a good game on Saturday.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Wasn't the Brothers player who was sent off last year Taniela Tupou's brother?
Correct. It was Criff. Had to be red after he threw a couple. Teams learnt he had a short fuse when it came to looking out for his 'little' brother. They left him alone and went for Taniella, got the result. The Souths supporter who threw the bottle at Green from the sideline is however still out there !!! Still a muppet and not funny. Had no issue however with the Souths players on the field. Hard but fair. Looking forward to the weekend.

Watch out for Bill from the ARU at Crosby this weekend. Spending the day at QPR rugby to get a feel apparently. I am certain he would love as much constructive and respectful feedback as we all can muster. Hopefully he walks the ground.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Bumped in to Dallan Murphy at the Hong Kong 10s. Didn't ask whether he was coming back, but I remember spotting someone on the forum say he was.

What happens if D Murphy is back, and Stefano Hunt comes back from injury? Do the filth stick with Paddy James (no pun int.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom