• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Interesting you mention that Red Heavy because I was about to say, I think gambling on games would be a bigger integrity issue at this level.

Every betting agency these days carries markets for premier grade, sometimes margin markets as well.

Performance enhancing drugs have no place in any sport. I would hope the QRU and RA are doing their part to monitor gambling and gaming trends as well.

Hi Phil
I did read an article on soccer where some of the betting pools on Australian games from Asia dwarf the NRL and guys have been offered money in excess of the yearly salary playing in Australia to throw games.

I would not think it was an issue at premier club level as the pool is quite small and any large bets would immediately attract attention.

Re PED's it is a big issue as all levels as boys see the big fat kids getting picked over them all of the time at the lower levels so they know that size is valued over skill and fitness. With the current way that replacements are going I can only see it getting worse.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ruggy your new talent leads me to something that I have see over the last 5+ years is the fast tracking of school boy star straight into Premier grade first year out of school & the fact that some clubs use the promise of a premier grade spot in the recruitment of the tender aged talent.

Is it in the player's best interest in terms of their rugby development?

I know the Lynagh's, Little's, Flatley's play for Qld first year out but the Eales, Horan's, Kefu's all came through colts.

I'm not professing either pathway as it is a horses for courses scenario - just food for thought.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
It's such a great question, my beliefs is a lot of it depends on the player (which I think you were getting at). Some players are physically up to playing the top tier of club land and some players end up with injuries (which might not of happened if they were playing a less physical opposition).

Do you think players feel like they have to make it in prems straight out of school or they'll miss out on pathways or a potential career?

Ruggy your new talent leads me to something that I have see over the last 5+ years is the fast tracking of school boy star straight into Premier grade first year out of school & the fact that some clubs use the promise of a premier grade spot in the recruitment of the tender aged talent.

Is it in the player's best interest in terms of their rugby development?

I know the Lynagh's, Little's, Flatley's play for Qld first year out but the Eales, Horan's, Kefu's all came through colts.

I'm not professing either pathway as it is a horses for courses scenario - just food for thought.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
it
It's such a great question, my beliefs is a lot of it depends on the player (which I think you were getting at). Some players are physically up to playing the top tier of club land and some players end up with injuries (which might not of happened if they were playing a less physical opposition).

Do you think players feel like they have to make it in prems straight out of school or they'll miss out on pathways or a potential career?

It really comes down to position but the reality is the Reds have already picked the boys out of school.

They dictate who plays where much of the time and make sure there boys play a minimum of Colts 1 regardless of the meritocracy within the club.
Pathway is an interesting as boys know if they don’t get selected for under 19 NRC then they will never be looked at.
Backs can play Prems straight out of school but forwards should not men are just stronger and I would argue that a 18 to 19 year old prop or hooker needs to be looked after.
Even Taniela Tupou got his arse handed to him during his first year of Prem grade.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think there could be an argument be made that playing premier club rugby will prepare players better for the physicality or super rugby then say touring with the Australia u20s and playing a bunch of minion nations at the U20s World Cup.

The u20s probably have a more professional setup in terms of training.

But how do you think Premier team in Brothers or GPS would fair against a u20 team other then the powerhouses (let’s cross off England, RSA, NZ & AUS) ????

I personally think brothers premier team could beat every u20s team other then than the top 4 teams I’ve listed above (and even then I think they may give those 4 teams above a run for their money)

If a coach is recruiting young prodigy with promise to play premier rugby. It probably means they have higher ambitions and they are aware of the success that comes with QPR>NRC>SUPER RUGBY

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
it

Pathway is an interesting as boys know if they don’t get selected for under 19 NRC then they will never be looked at.

Sad indictment for the sport in Australia if that is the case. It means John Eales would have missed boat. First rugby rep team he was ever selected in was not until after he turned 20.

If Jonathan Thurston was a young up and comer in this code, he would also not be identified.

Too often we go through easy option of picking talent that may be playing in an uneven environment and we leave behind late developers or young talent within an age bracket.

Hard to quantify, but there must be some talent lost through this narrow approach.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Talking of talented youth - do you think Souths will bring through into QPR20 a fair swag of their 2019 Colts 1 premiership team who were very dominant this year?

Souths have been smart in terms of a development from the bottom up as opposed to the Buzz buy/bring in method which worked in 2015 but not so good for long term club culture in my honest opinion.

Camo I am giving South a wrap here.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Talking of talented youth - do you think Souths will bring through into QPR20 a fair swag of their 2019 Colts 1 premiership team who were very dominant this year?

Souths have been smart in terms of a development from the bottom up as opposed to the Buzz buy/bring in method which worked in 2015 but not so good for long term club culture in my honest opinion.

Camo I am giving South a wrap here.

Will be interesting to see how the flow of BBC players to Souths Colts are.

BBC is the form Brisbane GPS school and now Souths have hired the bbc coach.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I always thought the nickname for Drahm was Dammers (slang) but Shane Drahm and Todd Dammers are 2 different people.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
The interesting thing this year is that with Colts going to twenties. Clubs will need to align the senior and colts programs.

Some school superstars will find it hard playing against boys who are older and with a year or two of senior footy under their belts. Many who go to a strong program may actually benitift playing colts 2.

Some boys who are eligible for 20's will get nothing from playing another year at Colts. Some will benefit from playing Prems or Reggies more than continuing in Colts. Managing expectations will be harder ever.

This will make the year harder than ever. particularly if a club with good colts realises it is out of the Prems comp. Tipping could be a nightmare.

PS Jets I hope you are going to run it again this year.