• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Yes love the mans versatility. what positions can he cover in 15s? I know his played 9 and 15, think I recall a bit of 10. assume his played on wing as well because of his speed

Huge loss for Norths! But good on him for using QPR as stepping stone too bigger and better things

Awesome club and team man - Norths have a coach yet?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If true, I feel like Norths are setting themselves up for long term failure.

There is a larger problem here with regards to player managers being actively involved with the day to day coaching of club rugby teams, that's a different discussion.

But it sounds like Norths are looking for the easy fix in terms of becoming competitive. Bring in the NewStar team, get some players, MAYBE win the comp in the next couple of years. But when things turn south, you're left with a big hole.

And unlike GPS and Souths who've come before them, Norths don't have the cattle to stay competitive once the NewStar blokes leave. Even Souths who are a much more successful club than Norths are currently climbing back up the ladder and have gone back to basics, recruiting a strong Colts program and rebuilding the club from the ground up.

Shungmao

Stan Wickham (3)
If true, I feel like Norths are setting themselves up for long term failure.

There is a larger problem here with regards to player managers being actively involved with the day to day coaching of club rugby teams, that's a different discussion.

But it sounds like Norths are looking for the easy fix in terms of becoming competitive. Bring in the NewStar team, get some players, MAYBE win the comp in the next couple of years. But when things turn south, you're left with a big hole.

And unlike GPS and Souths who've come before them, Norths don't have the cattle to stay competitive once the NewStar blokes leave. Even Souths who are a much more successful club than Norths are currently climbing back up the ladder and have gone back to basics, recruiting a strong Colts program and rebuilding the club from the ground up.
Aren't most of Newstar players at GPS? He assistant coached last year at Norths and they came equal last.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Most newstar players seem to be in Japan by the bucketload as I'm sure the commission dollars make it in agents best interests, not sure what players would be at Norths anyway. Good luck to them, we've had the Newstar thing before at Yoku with mixed results - our premiership came post newstar interestingly. I have heard their colts program is making progress though, although when you're at rock bottom I'm sure marginal improvement aint hard.

Interesting mention of souths - I'm hearing they'll be lucky to field 2 colts teams and that things are very tense there in the premier set up. Not that our colts are much better, but maybe not the best post newstar sugar rush example given then current climate there.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh I don't think many Newstar guys would still be at GPS, Picone's last involvement with the club was around what 2013/14? A few stayed on but not many.

Interesting you say Souths aren't looking so hot, I thought things were looking better under Dammers and the up and coming Souths young guns was big news? Or has that all changed in 2021?

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Some good young players there yes, but from what the old guard there tell me (divide by 1.5 at times) there's plenty of unrest in the playing group and a result having to rely on very young players to step up into the top grades which has caused problems below that. The old guard still blame GPS for 'taking' a lot of old souths players, most had close ties to Elia though.

Can anyone from wests shed some light on how Elwee is going? I hope he does well, but it's also great having Shane back.

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
Have heard similar thoughts re: Souths and the player unrest, which I'm told is linked to Dammers (lack of) man management and people skills. Apparently its a bit of a "Yell first, talk later" type dictatorship.

I do hope that for the clubs sake there is further success to be had on the field in 2021.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Have heard similar thoughts re: Souths and the player unrest, which I'm told is linked to Dammers (lack of) man management and people skills. Apparently its a bit of a "Yell first, talk later" type dictatorship.

I do hope that for the clubs sake there is further success to be had on the field in 2021.
What a load of c..p.
I am a life member of Souths and a player and administrator at the Club for nearly 50 years and if the playing group that I observed last Saturday, as they went through a full days training camp and intraclub trial game, lacks harmony then I think it is time for me to go watch another sport. The playing group and coaching group are together on a mission. To bring Souths back to the best Club in Australia, as it was during to late 80's and all the 90's. Yes, some players left after 2019 and a couple of players have this year been given an opportunity at Super Rugby but the squad has the experience of a half year of Premier Rugby in 2020 and they will be the better for that. Sean Farrell is back from the Reds and his brother, Jack is back from the Rebels. Both are big gains in any club. Keep to facts!

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
What a load of c..p.
I am a life member of Souths and a player and administrator at the Club for nearly 50 years and if the playing group that I observed last Saturday, as they went through a full days training camp and intraclub trial game, lacks harmony then I think it is time for me to go watch another sport. The playing group and coaching group are together on a mission. To bring Souths back to the best Club in Australia, as it was during to late 80's and all the 90's. Yes, some players left after 2019 and a couple of players have this year been given an opportunity at Super Rugby but the squad has the experience of a half year of Premier Rugby in 2020 and they will be the better for that. Sean Farrell is back from the Reds and his brother, Jack is back from the Rebels. Both are big gains in any club. Keep to facts!

Apologies warhorse and happy to be proven wrong on this. As with some of the "news" in these threads, it was from the grapevine and likely stemmed from a disgruntled former player and seemingly does not reflect what's happening down at Chipsy Wood at present

Great to hear the Farrell brothers together for this season, huge gains indeed.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
A bit out of the loop. Who have we got potentially starting in this year’s teams? Particularly Brothers. Will Lawson and Hudson return to play the club season?

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
What a load of c..p.
I hear that you have landed Andrew Romano that probably is the best tight forward prospect in this year’s Colts rookie class

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With trials starting next week, anyone got any predicted line ups for sides?
I’ll have a crack at a Wests side
1. Liam Usher
2. Ethan Dobbins
3. Branson Tauakipulu
4. Lopeti Faifua
5. Rob Puliuvea
6. Jeremy Skelton
7. Connor Anderson
8. Tyrone Pritchard
9. Joel Atkins
10. Cooper Whiteside
11. Shea Lalagavesi
12. Christian Krause/Isaac Henry(if reds make him available)
13. Nikau Te Rupe/Illaisa Droahehe (Same as Henry)
14. Ben Navosailagi
15. Jono Kent

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Is Taine Roiri still at Wests? Is he a chance of playing Premier or will he stay in Colts?