• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
kuidrani on the Challenger XV team thought ran well and with purpose. Moli Sooaemalelagi bagged 4 tries.

HMP in the 10 jersey was real sharp for the reds. I thought Matt Gicquel was phenomenal.
For my money, I think the #10 jersey in the Reds next year is between Creighton and HMP.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
For my money, I think the #10 jersey in the Reds next year is between Creighton and HMP.

Not saying those blokes don’t deserve a shot. But you’ve essentially got Lynagh as the incumbent now. The Reds organisation have a made substantial investment in him. From memory he’s one of a few players who sat on a full deal but only played club rugby (colts at that) during his first season.

Obviously that was the Thorn era, but I would be surprised if they tossed Lynagh in the bin so quickly. I don’t think he deserves it.

And 3 months ago Creighton looked like he would end up in Brothers Reggies. Too early to call that 10 spot now.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Not saying those blokes don’t deserve a shot. But you’ve essentially got Lynagh as the incumbent now. The Reds organisation have a made substantial investment in him. From memory he’s one of a few players who sat on a full deal but only played club rugby (colts at that) during his first season.

Obviously that was the Thorn era, but I would be surprised if they tossed Lynagh in the bin so quickly. I don’t think he deserves it.

And 3 months ago Creighton looked like he would end up in Brothers Reggies. Too early to call that 10 spot now.

Lynagh stock is dropping.

There was a lot of promise at the start and had looks good in moments …but I think due to the injuries - he’s development has stalled and HMP/Creighton are the better options in 2024

That of course is my opinion and Les Kiss will be picking his lineups jan/feb 2024.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Creighton is just a steady footballer but he won’t make the Reds an elite side. I’d personally consider JOC (James O'Connor) a better 10.

Lynagh is still so young. The amount of potential growth in his game is huge. Look at the step up Gordon had with the Rebels between 2022 - 23.

HMP is a really good prospect and I think he’d be great off the bench.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Why not allow HMP a full season of QPR to consolidate the promising (junior) portfolio of rugby he has already produced - what’s the hurry.
He is a talent but he is not ready for Super Rugby, let him have another 12 months in the system, then Super Rugby in 2025, Wallaby squads 2026, Wallaby #10 at RWC27.
Let him dominate for Souths and then he steps into Super Rugby with the tools to cope with the next level.

Last edited:

Hugh Jardon

Bob McCowan (2)
Creighton is just a steady footballer but he won’t make the Reds an elite side. I’d personally consider JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) a better 10.

Lynagh is still so young. The amount of potential growth in his game is huge. Look at the step up Gordon had with the Rebels between 2022 - 23.

HMP is a really good prospect and I think he’d be great off the bench.
yeah HMP is gun! he has a huge future

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Why not allow HMP a full season of QPR to consolidate the promising (junior) portfolio of rugby he has already produced - what’s the hurry.

Why couldn’t same been done for lynagh though.

Hadn’t had one single start of QPR and was thrust into super rugby straight from colts rugby.

I see 2 similar talents in HMP and Lynagh how were one getting preferential treatment because of nepotism name recognition.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Creighton was pretty good for Brothers in the championship rounds in 2023.

That being said some guys shine at club or junior level but can’t step up to the next level - I am not saying that is or will be the case with him - it is just what happens.

Crieghton’s portfolio is against men in QPR whereas the others have only done it against boys.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Creighton was pretty good for Brothers in the championship rounds in 2023.

That being said some guys shine at club or junior level but can’t step up to the next level - I am not saying that is or will be the case with him - it is just what happens.

Crieghton’s portfolio is against men in QPR whereas the others have only done it against boys.

Creighton has over 20 caps for the Reds, many as a starter, nearly double as many as Lynagh.

Hasn't exactly blown the bar doors off with his Super Rugby performances. Maybe so much that people in these forums don't even remember him playing...

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Phil - I think Creighton is ahead of these blokes due to his experience. He played a lot of QPR before he got his Super call up.
I think the higher you play is very much a factor of consistency of performance which I think is what we have seen from him in the last couple of seasons.
Consistency leads to confidence.

Reactions: Ras

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)

This is an interesting article written by Christian Welch about RL moving in on GPS players who would previously have gone onto play Rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

This is an interesting article written by Christian Welch about Rugby League moving in on GPS players who would previously have gone onto play Rugby.
Rugby League froth on this bloke. Someone gets a degree in that sport and they all and they look at him like the chimp who made fire.

It’s shit to watch an NRL game and see 6-7 players who went to a NSW or QLD GPS school but in a lot of cases they have been sent by the Club and they only play Rugby because they are there.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Absolutely. Resource and exposure problem as much as anything.

Imagine selling Rugby if we go out in the Pools…

Fortunately for wallabies - the lions/RWC hosting in 2027 is going to be enough of a carrot to dangle RL way in terms of recruitment.

But a pool exit and 2 decades of Ditch dysfunction… the league recruiters would have a field day selling league whilst dumping on 15s in process

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Fortunately for wallabies - the lions/RWC hosting in 2027 is going to be enough of a carrot to dangle Rugby League way in terms of recruitment.

But a pool exit and 2 decades of Ditch dysfunction… the league recruiters would have a field day selling league whilst dumping on 15s in process
That carrot is going to have to be bigger though.