• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
that's still quite new really. Shouldn't have to resurface fields that frequently.

There's something not quite right with that pitch at Wests, it's been looking like shit for a few years now. Assuming they actually spent a bit on the irrigation and drainage when they realigned it, the ongoing condition and state of the pitch is a real disappointment
Those fields do get heavy daily use with Wests being a massive junior/senior club and no other adjacent areas for teams to use to train (unlike Norths, Easts, UQ etc). All turf variety regardless of irrigation/ sunlight need a break to repair from continuous wear and tear. Unsure if their allowed to use chemical fertilisers or anything to help push it along as it's a public park?

All considered it's probably reasonable to expect that the fields need a resurfacing every year or 2.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am no turf expert but my understanding is that flood waters leave a film of crap below the grass level witch should be scraped off otherwise the roots of the turf can’t penetrate the film crust left behind and perish.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Can we expect to see Reds players filter back into QPR this week - important games this week Brothers v Bond, Souths v GPS, UQ v West.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Can we expect to see Reds players filter back into QPR this week - important games this week Brothers v Bond, Souths v GPS, UQ v West.

In recent years there has been at least a week off for most of the main group Reds players.

Not sure what Eddie's directive will be for the blokes who are likely to be involved with the Wallabies either.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am no turf expert but my understanding is that flood waters leave a film of crap below the grass level witch should be scraped off otherwise the roots of the turf can’t penetrate the film crust left behind and perish.
Nor can water/ oxygen/ nutrients get down to established roots as easily.

#turfchat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There’s a lot of players at wests who’ve been at wests and then went onto earn a super rugby contract.

in 2020 during that awkward Covid year - the bulldogs had an amazing colts team that missed out on finals. Mason Gordon, David & Glenn Vaihu, Keynan Tauakipulu, Lopeti Faifua. None of these boys had super rugby contracts yet but they went onto higher honours. All repping at aus u20 level and getting super rugby contracts.

last year Angelo Smith, Ben Navosalagi & Ethan Dobbins all got super rugby contracts from qpr form.

these are bulldogs products first. Super rugby players second.
Out of interest who is coaching Wests colts nowadays, Rob Roiri was doing them in 2020 and I been back in nZ since then.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Given the field's positioning and surrounds, I don't think they get much winter sun and therefore struggle with growth/rejuvenation throughout the season. The floods last year wouldn't have helped either of course

Had a look on Nearmap, the field issues date back to 2017 with running repairs, especially on the half closest to the clubhouse between the 22s.

I just don’t think it was laid well to start with, surprising given it was a new build

IMG_0696.png

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Had a look on Nearmap, the field issues date back to 2017 with running repairs, especially on the half closest to the clubhouse between the 22s.

I just don’t think it was laid well to start with, surprising given it was a new build

View attachment 16435
The side of the field nearest the clubhouse spends a lot of time in the shade over winter and the foundations of the clubhouse are also close to the sideline preventing natural drainage that way, so it’s all on what’s under the turf to let excess water disappear.

The north eastern end of the field is cut out of a hill with a substantial retaining not far from the dead ball line. This end always seems damp, most likely from moisture further up the hill.

I’m no expert, but seems like the turf was always going to struggle.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Begs the question...who's got the best fields from a spectator perspective and turf quality?

Id say UQ. They have stadium style seating with shade and the fields are maintained by full time green keepers.

that athletics track around the field also prevents any ugly incidents you might get at Easts, Brothers and GPS where the wrong bounce of a ball out of bounds could have some unwanted interaction with player and drunken spectator. If Easts and Brothers had athletics tracks around their paddock they’d still have average fields… if you put the athletics track out at Yoku and then provided shade for their bleacher style seating, GPS does keep their fields in immaculate shape.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Id say UQ. They have stadium style seating with shade and the fields are maintained by full time green keepers.

that athletics track around the field also prevents any ugly incidents you might get at Easts, Brothers and GPS where the wrong bounce of a ball out of bounds could have some unwanted interaction with player and drunken spectator. If Easts and Brothers had athletics tracks around their paddock they’d still have average fields… if you put the athletics track out at Yoku and then provided shade for their bleacher style seating, GPS does keep their fields in immaculate shape.
Your miles from the action at Uni and it has very little atmosphere - I enjoy watching from both Norths and Brothers amphi-stadiums

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Your miles from the action at Uni and it has very little atmosphere - I enjoy watching from both Norths and Brothers amphi-stadiums

Yeah atmosphere is lacking but it’s great sight lines to be honest.

I’ve been to a lot of sporting events and row 20 is always better than row 1. You kind of want to be a little away so you can see everything

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Field conditions aside, I really enjoy going to Wests for games. Love the setup there.

Makes me a bit envious as a GPS supporter, honestly I’m not overly fussed with the clubhouse reno at Yoku. I’m obviously not across the ins and outs of it all, but doesn’t seem as substantial as I expected considering the build up. No beer taps etc like at Wests which I think is a big miss. Also still confused why it’s all maroon coloured.