• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yeah I think Bros and Easts are good examples of depth. Their prems qualified along with their reserve and third grade teams as well.

If you want to believe Bond has good depth. Fair enough.
Absolutely agree. Bond has depth, but Easts and Brothers have GREAT depth. Whilst Bond appear to be the darlings of the 2023 season, Easts are a team that has for the past few seasons, shown heart, talent and depth across the board. They are the template/exemplar for other clubs to follow.

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
No UQ on that list? I guess they’ve been underdogs.
There's a list? UQ have been less underdog and more U-boat this season. Whilst I might appear to advocate for Bond, I advocate more for heads up end to end, and last gasp effort rugby - which Bond has consistently delivered this season. They give the fans something more than run-of-the-mill robotic gameplay, and they challenge other clubs to do the same. Easts have been the template for this (in fact Eli Pilz and Max Craig are my two favourite QPR players by far - and I reckon Craig would be leading the try scoring if not for his U20s stint)). Bond are flying a similar banner to Easts and seem to love scoring from anywhere on the field. I get that the old guard want to discount or discredit them by labelling them ' mercenaries' and a ' cash club' - but I know for a fact that there are multiple players who have turned down paid playing gigs so they can play for Bond for free. They just love their footie.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Does anyone know if you get anything for finishing first?

Like prize money for the club (like they do in the nrl)?

Cos you dont get a home semi.....so whats the benefit of finishing 1st? i guess a second chance in the finals thats about it really?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Does anyone know if you get anything for finishing first?

Like prize money for the club (like they do in the nrl)?

Cos you dont get a home semi.....so whats the benefit of finishing 1st? i guess a second chance in the finals thats about it really?

You win the minor premiership.
You get a flag

This is club rugby brother, there’s not a free car waiting behind door 3 for the minor premier

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
You win the minor premiership.
You get a flag

This is club rugby brother, there’s not a free car waiting behind door 3 for the minor premier
haha fair enough.

If Easts lose this weekend and drop down to 3rd that wouldnt be the worst thing. They would then get the minor semi at home.

Interestingly, Easts are the outsiders of the top 4 to win the premiership with Ladbrokes paying 6 bucks.

Willo

Stan Wickham (3)
Will be a great game this weekend Brothers V Easts. I will be interested to see Brothers backline with James O'Conner back. Creighton has been killing it at flyhalf. Any ideas on the 9-15??

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Will be a great game this weekend Brothers V Easts. I will be interested to see Brothers backline with James O'Conner back. Creighton has been killing it at flyhalf. Any ideas on the 9-15??
Assuming everyone else is still available I feel like the ideal would be to play O'Connor and Stewart for half each at 12. Alternatively you could push Flook to the wing and run O'Connor at 13, but it's been a while since O'Connor has played at 13.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
Yeah I think Bros and Easts are good examples of depth. Their prems qualified along with their reserve and third grade teams as well.

If you want to believe Bond has good depth. Fair enough.
Backing this point up, every senior men's and colts team at Brothers are in the Finals and Easts are in a similar position, missing two I believe.

@hdnmstsnr
Bond have Prems and women currently in the 4 and need a win in colts 1 against Souths whom have only lost 1 game all season to scrape in there.
It's fair to say not only do they not have the numbers but they aren't competitive across the whole as a club. The Doughty Shield is the best reflection of a clubs strength and they also don't compete there.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Backing this point up, every senior men's and colts team at Brothers are in the Finals and Easts are in a similar position, missing two I believe.

@hdnmstsnr
Bond have Prems and women currently in the 4 and need a win in colts 1 against Souths whom have only lost 1 game all season to scrape in there.
It's fair to say not only do they not have the numbers but they aren't competitive across the whole as a club. The Doughty Shield is the best reflection of a clubs strength and they also don't compete there.
Bond don't compete well in the Doughty Shield because they don't field teams in all Grades or all Colts.
Souths will likely be in three grades finals and three Colts(potentially four) finals. 1st grade very competitive in 2023 defeating Uni and Easts twice, however letting a couple of games in the first half of season, get away by very narrow margins. It looks like Souths could get very close to the Doughty Shield, if they perform well against Bond and Brothers drop a few games against Easts.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Bond don't compete well in the Doughty Shield because they don't field teams in all Grades or all Colts.
Souths will likely be in three grades finals and three Colts(potentially four) finals. 1st grade very competitive in 2023 defeating Uni and Easts twice, however letting a couple of games in the first half of season, get away by very narrow margins. It looks like Souths could get very close to the Doughty Shield, if they perform well against Bond and Brothers drop a few games against Easts.
Souths as a whole club have been super impressive in my opinion.

If it wasn't for their 20's missing games, their first grade would of definitely been in with a chance for the finals as well.

Colts program has improved out of sight as well

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Irony of the current points table is that Easts 57 (11 wins), and Wests 55 (9 wins) are two points clear of Brothers 53(10 wins). Wests do have a draw to their name.
But again 10 wins generally gets you into the top 4, and that is generally the benchmark across the grades.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Sheesh that is a red hot brothers team this week

I don’t think there’s one backline player that played in the last game against easts this year. Means the second grade team will be red hot too.

Got to feel for the 1st grade players that got dropped the last few weeks who have toiled all year to get brothers into finals contention in the first place. drop ins are just like “thanks boys we’ll take it from here”

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Sheesh that is a red hot brothers team this week

I don’t think there’s one backline player that played in the last game against easts this year. Means the second grade team will be red hot too.

Got to feel for the 1st grade players that got dropped the last few weeks who have toiled all year to get brothers into finals contention in the first place. drop ins are just like “thanks boys we’ll take it from here”
Don't think it's quite like that. And Aus A selections will likely give them their chance to play semi finals and finals anyway.