• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
this could be controversial....so make of it what you will.... but a mate of mine went out to watch one of the prem games on the weekend and said that he overheard a coach get pissed off at his trainer for attending to one of his injured players and heard him say to him "I told you no headknocks".....
Perhaps i didn't explain it well or maybe ppl just dont care but a trainer was told that he is to make sure that the player being removed from the field is not taken off as a "head knock" (even if it is) in order to bypass the concussion protocols that come with it e.g mandatory standdown.

I would of thought that in our day and age where concussion is huge it'd be an issue.

I guess not. play on.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Perhaps i didn't explain it well or maybe ppl just dont care but a trainer was told that he is to make sure that the player being removed from the field is not taken off as a "head knock" (even if it is) in order to bypass the concussion protocols that come with it e.g mandatory standdown.

I would of thought that in our day and age where concussion is huge it'd be an issue.

I guess not. play on.
If true it's terrible, absolutely no excuse. Just don't expect anyone to be up in arms about a 3rd hand report of what an unspecified coach of an unspecified team may have said.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
If true it's terrible, absolutely no excuse. Just don't expect anyone to be up in arms about a 3rd hand report of what an unspecified coach of an unspecified team may have said.
fair enough. dont think its my place to name the coach or club.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
From RA website. A good reminder to all clubs at this time of the year.

If a player has signs or symptoms of a potential head injury or concussion no person (e.g. physio, coach, trainer, or doctor) can over-ride the requirement of a player to remain off the field.

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
fair enough. dont think its my place to name the coach or club.
The people who can do something about it (referrees, QPR) need to be notified by your mate (who apparently heard it). Nothing anyone here can do. Coach will deny saying it if there is no actual recording or other witnesses but if there is a report of it then there is a record.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
How many games a year for a professional rugby player in the UK/ France?

Pre-COVID, English Premiership Clubs were guaranteed to play 22 Premiership Games, 4 Cup games and 6 European Games. Clubs could potentially play an additional 2 games in the premiership, 2 games in the cup and 3 games in Europe, comprising knockout finals. Cup games took place during International Windows (EOYT & 6 Nations) and are expected to see clubs heavily utilise their academy and extended squads.

In the Top 14, that's 26 Domestic + 6 Europe and 3 & 2 knockout finals. ProD2 does not compete in Europe but plays 30 games with 3 finals.

Typically you have said clubs contracting 40-50 players with an additional dozen or so players in their "senior academy", who may either be loaned out to the RFU Championship or the Nationale, or be rotated through the squad during international windows and/ore "dead rubber" european games (especially the latter for French teams)

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Makes our work load management look a little overprotective.

You see it time and time again in both league and union where players coming back from a break in play are often a little off the pace in their first game back. Team mates and coaches almost expect that to be the case.

Why would we expect things to be different for our Wallabies?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Heard that Easts will be hosting semi finals this year with their refurbished field opening next week.

You mean qld rugby will be using the Easts rugby ground to host the qpr finals?

If Easts lose their next 3 games is their a pathway for GPS/South’s into top 4?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
yeah Easts rugby ground hosting the semi finals games.

I’m just being a smart alec… I think Easts will get thru to the finals but with matches against gps, wests and brothers remaining and all 3 of those teams sitting behind them - chance they can slip out of favour

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
I’m just being a smart alec… I think Easts will get thru to the finals but with matches against gps, wests and brothers remaining and all 3 of those teams sitting behind them - chance they can slip out of favour
hmm but they already beat GPS on the weekend?

you reckon sitting on top of the table with 53 points and losing 3 games will make them fall out of the top 4?

Souths are 5th with 36points?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Easts also has a bye week… that could be their downfall - wests has a bye week as well…

I think out of the top 6 teams - Easts road home is the hardest

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
The top 3 have enough buffer to remain in the top 3.

Souths and GPS are 3 wins behind third-place Bond who you think will beat Norths so neither will gain any ground. I cannot see Souths beating Easts this week. I don't believe Souths have recorded a win since their U20s team members departed and haven't beaten a top 4 team since round 6.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Brothers (4th) are 7 points ahead of GPS. Whilst I can see Jeeps maybe having a win over Brothers, they looked like their 15, 12 and 9 were all injured v Easts. But they have depth at the club so you never know.

I am not convinced by Brothers who still look too slow, are flat track bullies when they play Norths/Sunnybank but haven't beaten a top 4 team since round 3 when they came from behind to beat Bond after Connor Pritchard was controversially Red Carded.