• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It’s the best strategy I reckon… what souths has done with supplying an hoard of talent for Aus u20. They could fill out that team with a couple of incoming super rugby players and be under the cap.

The cap system is a mess however like there’s so many players whom you got to ask if they are “super rugby = 10 points”

Sorovi is unsigned - didn’t play a minute of super rugby this season.:: do you give him 10 points because he was super rugby qualified at start of season or is he 1 point cause he’s just a 3rd tier halfback now.
Players with Super Rugby or Mitre 10 cup experience start out at 10 points but are then discounted based on number of years out of contract, history with their Club e.g. come through Juniors and/Colts or long service(5 years or more).
For example Kohan Herbert from Souths started out as 10 points but was discounted down to 9 points because he is out of contract this year. Theo Fourie and Phransis Sula-Siaosi were discounted because of their Colts years with Souths. Souths never got near 100 points even with their under 20's and Super Rugby players because a number of players had history with the Club through Juniors and Colts.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Players with Super Rugby or Mitre 10 cup experience start out at 10 points but are then discounted based on number of years out of contract, history with their Club e.g. come through Juniors and/Colts or long service(5 years or more).
For example Kohan Herbert from Souths started out as 10 points but was discounted down to 9 points because he is out of contract this year. Theo Fourie and Phransis Sula-Siaosi were discounted because of their Colts years with Souths. Souths never got near 100 points even with their under 20's and Super Rugby players because a number of players had history with the Club through Juniors and Colts.

Thanks for explanation…

Theo Fourie Is a 1 point player in my view. The rebels didn’t want to resign him and is now a free agent - so he should be reclassified as an amateur rugby player… just like Sorovi.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Thanks for explanation…

Theo Fourie Is a 1 point player in my view. The rebels didn’t want to resign him and is now a free agent - so he should be reclassified as an amateur rugby player… just like Sorovi.
I don't think you could reclassify a player during the current season just because they don't have a contract for the next season. There's every chance they pick one up in the interim. It may not be a perfect assessment but I think you have to make that judgement call at the start of each season and set down the base score for each player. Chopping and changing mid season like that would make it harder to calculate and enforce and opens too many potential loop holes.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think you could reclassify a player during the current season just because they don't have a contract for the next season. There's every chance they pick one up in the interim. It may not be a perfect assessment but I think you have to make that judgement call at the start of each season and set down the base score for each player. Chopping and changing mid season like that would make it harder to calculate and enforce and opens too many potential loop holes.

I agree - allocation should happen at start of season, but a player shouldn’t be classified as a super rugby player if they haven’t gotten any super rugby caps yet.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Chopping and changing mid season like that would make it harder to calculate and enforce and opens too many potential loop holes.

Agree - imagine the feeding frenzy at the end of Super Rugby when all the 'off contract' players hit the market. QPR teams would be going hell for leather to try and sign a bunch of fringe professionals to bolsters their premiership chances.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree - imagine the feeding frenzy at the end of Super Rugby when all the 'off contract' players hit the market. QPR teams would be going hell for leather to try and sign a bunch of fringe professionals to bolsters their premiership chances.

Sign???

You mean recruit? But yeah I would actually enjoy the anarchy of a mid season transfer window…

But I understand it won’t happen…

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I agree - allocation should happen at start of season, but a player shouldn’t be classified as a super rugby player if they haven’t gotten any super rugby caps yet.
Is that not how it already works?

I know the Shute shield has different gradations of pro:
1692069892019.png

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fairly sure Theo has signed with the Tahs would not surprise me if he ends up in Shute next season.
The points system is not based solely on the player's current status i.e. contracted or not. It is a reflection of the player's experience and the highest level that they have achieved. There are different point allocations for players who have previously played Premier rugby, as well as higher points value for players who have played 35 or more 1st grade games across various Clubs. It is based on the player's history not JUST their current contract status.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
So it would appear the points systems and Phil Waugh's dream of having a good number of Wallabies and Super players running out for clubs may be incongruous?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So it would appear the points systems and Phil Waugh's dream of having a good number of Wallabies and Super players running out for clubs may be incongruous?

If Phil Waugh plan proceeds - the cap system will be thrown to scrap heap and it will just become some ugly non-grass roots arms race between a couple of clubs

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
@Wilson Would you say brothers the best off out of the three remaining then? They'll run out the same as last week. With Uru and Paisami being massive for Wests last week and Bond now without two capped wallabies Props in Gibbon and Zane N.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
@Wilson Would you say brothers the best off out of the three remaining then? They'll run out the same as last week. With Uru and Paisami being massive for Wests last week and Bond now without two capped wallabies Props in Gibbon and Zane N.
It really leans into that run of form they've had, alongside the fact that they come into the semi off a challenging but easier game then Bond had last week. Wests are probably relatively well prepared to lose the players though, Paisami and Daugunu haven't really been there this year and I think they have good cover for Uru. All that said I'm not counting Bond out just yet, there's still heaps of talent in that side and they've been really strong this year. It's still a very even 3 teams remaining and I could easily see any of them winning it.

Reactions: Ras

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
I wasn't a Creighton fan but he has been super impressive for the brethren in their finals run. He was sensational against Easts i thought again.

As much as i hate the filth...it'll be a real shame for them to get to the final this week with a squad that's only half strength cos of Aus A duties. Coming down to the wire, and from a spectacle point of view... best players should be playing.
I hate to say it, but I agree. I've never been a Creighton fan, but that was a champagne performance from him on Sunday. So good.