• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Sam Old

Herbert Moran (7)
Not Bond’s day today. Brothers relentless and too good. Based on their form and their run into the final, Brothers should go in as heavy favourites but the final should be a good one.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
At 10-12, Bond just needed to make it to halftime but couldn’t find touch and Brothers did a “Crusaders” scoring either side of HT.

Neither of the minor premiers in first and second grade made the GF.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Well done Brothers. Certainly showing the benefit of having the Super Rugby players back the last few matches. How many Super Rugby players are likely to line up for Brothers and Wests next week?

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
Wilson, Stewart, Creighton and James (barely).

Smith, Anderson, Eloff, Sorovi and Glen Vaihu for Wests.

I think.
Based on that matchup Brothers look to have the edge on experience. Wilson, Creighton (in great form last few weeks), and Stewart make for a formidable lineup.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great season from Bond - they road their luck on a few occasions but were deserved minor premiers but just couldn’t match it with reinforced Wests & Brothers sides in the finals.
More surprising result was in reserve grade where Easts progressed over Brothers. The Easts side had 5 out from their minor semi side due to ineligibility after their 1st grade side was eliminated last week.
Brothers Reserves went through the first 16 rounds undefeated and since then lost to Wests (Rnd 17), beat Easts by 1 point(18), lost GPS(major), & lost Easts (preliminary) - quite a dramatic fall from grace, whilst their first grade side over the same period has been undefeated.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
I wonder if injuries and fresh bench has anything to do with Brothers 2nd Grade change of form - in saying that dont be fooled East are looking sharp and could easily take home the chocolates next week.
Apparently brothers lodged a complaint midweek about Easts players being ineligible. Even though the players played in the first final the week before. Im not sure whos fault that is (QRU) but you cant have players playing one finals and not the next. If they played the first one then they must be eligible.

I think the rules need to change. All the players that were ineligible was because they played too many Prems games. But the players legitimately were dropped down to 2nds for several weeks and so did play several 2nd grade games. Its not like they played prems all year and then dropped to 2nd grade just for finals to bolster the team. Anyway brothers still lost lol

I think brothers 2nd grade season is the definition of a choke

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Apparently brothers lodged a complaint midweek about Easts players being ineligible. Even though the players played in the first final the week before. Im not sure whos fault that is (QRU) but you cant have players playing one finals and not the next. If they played the first one then they must be eligible.

Not necessarily.

The rules change once a higher team gets knocked out. I honestly can't remember the exact details of how it works - but once the Easts prems got dusted, it changed the landscape for a couple of players and their eligibility.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Not necessarily.

The rules change once a higher team gets knocked out. I honestly can't remember the exact details of how it works - but once the Easts prems got dusted, it changed the landscape for a couple of players and their eligibility.
Hmm well thats just stupid. Have one team for one final and then a raft of changes for the second game if they win. They should either be allowed to play both or not. Pretty simple.

Even those drawn matches yesterday. Cmon is it so hard to have extra time.

Reactions: Ras

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Not necessarily.

Hmm well thats just stupid. Have one team for one final and then a raft of changes for the second game if they win. They should either be allowed to play both or not. Pretty simple.

Even those drawn matches yesterday. Cmon is it so hard to have extra time.
Agreed 10 mins each way. How hard is that?? There was ample time and the Bank was buzzing. Would have added to a great day of rugby. Very disappointing. Time to rethink the rule book on this. Add to that the Colts 1 GF last year.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Judging by some social media comments it sounds like the Brothers Reggies did the same for GPS after the Major Semi and wanted the result overturned. Too worried about what everyone else was doing and then went out in straight sets..?

Willo

Stan Wickham (3)
Super rugby players for West...you forgot Louis Werchon and now Tim Ryan for Brothers. He just sign a full contract last week.