• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That was a brilliant game. Wests were fantastic that first half with some brilliant turn over counter attacking tries and massive defense. But their ill-discipline was their down fall and they struggled to create anything in attack. A much more clinical Brothers just wound them down. They were never going to as many opportunities pass as they did in the first half.

I thought that last maul was very obviously collapsed by Brothers but that just creates to the drama and the mythology for years to come. A great one to have back at Ballymore.

Oh and Tim Ryan - just wonderful. Loved Angelo Smith's work too and obviously Anderson and Wilson came up with some massive plays each for their side.

Ballymore10s

Frank Row (1)
That was a brilliant game. Wests were fantastic that first half with some brilliant turn over counter attacking tries and massive defense. But their ill-discipline was their down fall and they struggled to create anything in attack. A much more clinical Brothers just wound them down. They were never going to as many opportunities pass as they did in the first half.

I thought that last maul was very obviously collapsed by Brothers but that just creates to the drama and the mythology for years to come. A great one to have back at Ballymore.

Oh and Tim Ryan - just wonderful. Loved Angelo Smith's work too and obviously Anderson and Wilson came up with some massive plays each for their side.
You've hit the nail on the head Reg. Great game to finish off our club season. Bring on 2024.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)

The game seemed to get better the longer it went, it was a great atmosphere out there.

Ballymore10s

Frank Row (1)
Is the start of the season ideal for the club championship match? Somewhere midseason be a better period for this match? Regardless, it's been a great season of club rugby across all grades.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Some of the comments on social media are appalling. I agree controversial end but geez the ref bagging is disgusting.

Also one commenter claiming the refs wanted to ‘send Harry Wilson off for his fairytale ending’. Didn’t realise he was retiring at 23 years old.

Sam Old

Herbert Moran (7)
Good hard rugby and great atmosphere at Ballymore. Could have gone either way up to the last few seconds ( and as Reg intimated, I am sure the Wests supporters will be debating those last 30 seconds for many many years to come). When does the next season start??? Can’t wait.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Some of the comments on social media are appalling. I agree controversial end but geez the ref bagging is disgusting.

Also one commenter claiming the refs wanted to ‘send Harry Wilson off for his fairytale ending’. Didn’t realise he was retiring at 23 years old.
The ref was fine he actually let a few things go but fair to both sides. Honestly couldn’t see the last play from where I was sitting however with the assistant ref close by happy enough it finished that way.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)

If you’re feeling brave check out some of the comments on the Colts 2 result. Some brave anonymous souls throwing some horribly racist stuff at the Souths boys.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The ref was fine he actually let a few things go but fair to both sides. Honestly couldn’t see the last play from where I was sitting however with the assistant ref close by happy enough it finished that way.

I thought the ref was fine with Wests their own worse enemy. My only issue, and its a biggun, is the last rolling maul was pretty clearly taken down by Brothers.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I thought the ref was fine with Wests their own worse enemy. My only issue, and its a biggun, is the last rolling maul was pretty clearly taken down by Brothers.
Yeah that was pretty blatant but missed a few things both ways so can’t complain for the Wests.

Cabous will be a wallaby by next year.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought the same Reg, it was obviously dragged down, penalty at least. The Stan replay also shows Wests getting the ball down off the next play which you couldn’t see live. The refs were in good position to make a call, you can’t award what you can’t see, so don’t think there is an issue there. A TMO would have awarded it.

For Wests though they lead 19-0 just before half time and had a penalty with 3 mins to go that would have had them up by 1 with not much time left to play, they went for the corner instead and fluffed the lineout. Only would have had to retain possession from the restart for the title. That was the biggest head scratcher for me and totally on Wests.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Last maul might have been taken down. Hard to see clearly.

But last play the 2 Brothers guys (one was the winger Ryan) who tacked the Wests guy who allegedly got held up (footage shows ball on turf) were both offside and clearly in front of the tryline. Penalty and yellow card in other games all year.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Thoughts on Ballymore….. great looking facility, was happy to see the party area behind the stand getting set up for some live music and Bundy Rums. The flow around the place works well.

Wonder if there is any plans for a player’s area though. The bench were sitting in the sun for the earlier games and no real separation from the punters other than a rope like every other suburban ground.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Thoughts on Ballymore….. great looking facility, was happy to see the party area behind the stand getting set up for some live music and Bundy Rums. The flow around the place works well.

Wonder if there is any plans for a player’s area though. The bench were sitting in the sun for the earlier games and no real separation from the punters other than a rope like every other suburban ground.
If was bloody hard to get a beer @The Nomad during and just before the game. New stand looks great , just need to sort out the eastern side if this is to be become a boutique stadium. Looks very sad with missing seats and no one in it.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
If was bloody hard to get a beer @The Nomad during and just before the game. New stand looks great , just need to sort out the eastern side if this is to be become a boutique stadium. Looks very sad with missing seats and no one in it.
Yeah the line up to the bar near the hill was nasty at times. I kept going around to the after party area behind the new stand and had no issues. The MC kept spruikiing the area plus the Eastern stand and concourse. Not sure why everyone lined up for a beer at one spot and not the others. Was worth the walk not to be standing in a line.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Yep great game really enjoyed that, thought wests were hard done by.
Even when they got the yellow card in 74th minute I didn’t think that tackle was that late but I thought Hamish Stewart should have been penalized instead for his shove and that would have been in an easier position to kick the goal.
Definitely agree with the mail that would be called penalty 99% of the time normally

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
So if Harry Wilson did indeed tell Eddie he wanted to stay home win a QPR premiership instead of play for Aussie A - and I’ve only heard that from one source so not entirely sure it’s true…but is he vindicated in that decision?

Wins the premiership and gets the Tony Shaw medal. As he probably should have, he and Eloff probably the two players on the field who I would say played at a proper Super Rugby level. Lots of good performances but I thought those two were standouts.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
To change the subject slightly from what was a great grand final......saw that GPS won the 3rd grade final in a draw...again.

So they lost their first final, drew the semi final and drew the GF and ended up winning the premiership.

Sheesh if QRU needs a reason for a rule change for extra time, that is it right there. Mind boggling