• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
So they lost their first final, drew the semi final and drew the GF and ended up winning the premiership.

Yeh I am a GPS supporter, and it is definitely one of the less inspiring ways to win a premiership. In saying that, at least they earned themselves a penalty to win the game.

Some of the social media comments are again ridiculous, claiming GPS should have gone for a try on the final play instead of kicking a goal, so they could 'win the game properly'. Like seriously, I don't think any team is going to turn down the chance to win a premiership on the final play in that situation.

I actually spoke to a club official out at Ballymore about the whole no extra time situation because I agree it's bizarre. He essentially said it's unlikely to be overturned because there is even more emphasis on player duty of care these days, limiting contact hours at training and maximum minutes a player can play over the course of a day/weekend etc.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
To change the subject slightly from what was a great grand final......saw that GPS won the 3rd grade final in a draw...again.

So they lost their first final, drew the semi final and drew the GF and ended up winning the premiership.

Sheesh if QRU needs a reason for a rule change for extra time, that is it right there. Mind boggling
Or framed differently, were unbeaten in their last 14 games except for the one match that didn't matter.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Yeh I am a GPS supporter, and it is definitely one of the less inspiring ways to win a premiership. In saying that, at least they earned themselves a penalty to win the game.

Some of the social media comments are again ridiculous, claiming GPS should have gone for a try on the final play instead of kicking a goal, so they could 'win the game properly'. Like seriously, I don't think any team is going to turn down the chance to win a premiership on the final play in that situation.

I actually spoke to a club official out at Ballymore about the whole no extra time situation because I agree it's bizarre. He essentially said it's unlikely to be overturned because there is even more emphasis on player duty of care these days, limiting contact hours at training and maximum minutes a player can play over the course of a day/weekend etc.
I've got no problems with GPS taking the penalty. Why wouldn't you. you'd be stupid if you didnt.

In regards to no overtime...wow may as well stop playing rugby. You could get hit in the head or injured in the first minute. What difference is it if its in the 85th minute.

QRU and ARU in general continue to make some bizarre decisions.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Or framed differently, were unbeaten in their last 14 games except for the one match that didn't matter.
hahah interesting way to look at it.

i'm not having a go at GPS. it could be any club. im talking more about the rules.

If any club didn't win one finals game and ends up with the premiership, you'd be scratching your head a bit.

Putmeoncoach

Allen Oxlade (6)
Let’s not forgot Brothers being held up twice and a knock on scoring attempt in the first 30min. I think if Brothers had been awarded those points West would have panicked earlier.

Reactions: Ras

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
To change the subject slightly from what was a great grand final......saw that GPS won the 3rd grade final in a draw...again.

Sheesh if QRU needs a reason for a rule change for extra time, that is it right there. Mind boggling
I'm glad someone has brought this up. It is a joke that a team that has not won a finals game can be awarded a premiership. There was ample time to play 10 mins extra time. If at the end of that time, scores are still drawn, well fair enough the higher ranked team can be awarded the win. Third grade kicked off at 2.15pm so there was ample time and daylight to play it out. There was no other game scheduled. I'm not sure what other comps do in Sydney etc but I recall that if semis were drawn, then the higher ranked team advanced but in GFs extra time was played. Come on QRU - this rule needs to be changed!!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
In regards to no overtime...wow may as well stop playing rugby. You could get hit in the head or injured in the first minute. What difference is it if its in the 85th minute.

Yeh I'm not disagreeing with you, but just to provide some more context and potential reasoning for it. It's not so much about the head knocks but for about 20 years now there have been some baselines around the maximum minutes a player is supposed to play during a single day.

I couldn't tell you what the number is and I know over the years they haven't exactly been monitored closely, for example I've seen more than a few former 1st graders play a full game of 5ths and then bulk minutes off the bench in 4ths, 3rds and a cameo in 2nds and no one really batted an eye (and is why there are so many 40yr old clubmen with 300 caps!!). But it sounds like these types of events are being more heavily scrutinized now, particularly at finals time.

I'm guessing the thought process is that if you allow extra time to be played and someone plays the whole game plus 20mins extra time, that essentially would rule them out from playing off the bench for another team. I know in this particular scenario the 3rds game was the 'main event' but I guess you need a blanket rule for everyone.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What do you guys think of a qpr magic round at ballymore?

Would require a competition wide bye round with only premier grade playing on that week. (One team would miss out)

Would be nice to have something like this where qpr fans could meet and watch some back to back to black top tier club rugby…

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What do you guys think of a qpr magic round at ballymore?

Would require a competition wide bye round with only premier grade playing on that week. (One team would miss out)

Would be nice to have something like this where qpr fans could meet and watch some back to back to black top tier club rugby…
Love this!
Or could have the team on the bye being Brothers who play the Australian club championship as the final game

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
I like the idea. Would have to start very early unless they got the lights happening. Maybe its a round 1 or 2 day so its better daylight.
So Brothers get bye round 1 and have to play? That works !!

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)

I think it's there because of the broadcast deal with Stan. To get the Firsts televised on time you either have to have no extra time or build in enough time between games for it - which means you'd have massive breaks between games.
Trade off with getting the matches on telly! There is extra time in Firsts, just not the lower grades.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Love this!
Or could have the team on the bye being Brothers who play the Australian club championship as the final game

The brothers boys have scored the trip away to Sydney next year to play equally hated Randwick

But that’s a good suggestion. Club championship game for the bye week earner

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Bond - missed opportunity in big games
Easts - young talent needs another year
Souths - look out 2024 if they keep that team
GPS - need to strengthen key positions
UQ - didn’t turn up most weeks
Sunnybank - not up to this standard
Norths - same story. Lack depth
An alternate view:
Bond - Consistent throughout 2023. Lacking in finals footie experience and stepped outside of their lane.
Easts - The REAL stars of 2023. Kept all others honest with an almost traditional brand of club footie.
Souths - Exciting and dynamic. Building their own brand of club footie
GPS - Disparate and tended to expect to win, rather than play to win
UQ - There was a UQ team??
Sunnybank - Needs Lucas brothers
Norths - Needs to not to be robbed of playing stock by big city/money clubs and GPS programs