• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Colt 1 Premiership winner - the last Souths team to win Colts 1 had Billy Rutherford and Hugo Smith as their 9s, what club and year are you referring to?

Word on the street is that Conner Vest and Kalani Thomas are being paid to play.
Whilst Kalani didn't play in the GF in 2019, he did play in a number of Colts 2 and Colts 1 games during the season, while still at school.

VDLRugby19

Frank Row (1)
Garrick Morgan speaks about the upcoming Hostipal Cup and players to watch out for

VDLRugby19

Frank Row (1)
Toutai Kefu speaks about his new role with Souths, how he can help Pasifika players embrace their natural skills, his time with the Tongan Setup and his Japanese Rugby Experience

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I wonder what Les Kiss position is on reds in QPR. Brad Thorn seemed very supportive of sending players back to 3rd tier where most players not playing seemed to be a wallaby RA directive.

round 1 - reds bye week… I’d probably tell Tate and the filth they aren’t playing club rugby this weekend (too valuable for reds playoff chances)

everyone else- get down to your local club on Tuesday and Thursday cause your playing round 1 QPR.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I wonder what Les Kiss position is on reds in QPR. Brad Thorn seemed very supportive of sending players back to 3rd tier where most players not playing seemed to be a wallaby RA directive.

round 1 - reds bye week… I’d probably tell Tate and the filth they aren’t playing club rugby this weekend (too valuable for reds playoff chances)

everyone else- get down to your local club on Tuesday and Thursday cause your playing round 1 QPR.
I doubt anyone from the core 15 will play club this week, but maybe a few who have featured on the bench will - Nasser, Bryant, Thomas, Annan, Ryan and one of Creighton and McLauhglin-Phillips. Maybe Alex Hodgman and George Blake too but that will depend on how Hodgman is going with his recovery.

Beyond that its been a pretty full 6 weeks for these guys so a bit of rest is probably for the best. I expect the rest of the squad will be released, injuries permitting. Les Kiss has been pretty supportive of the club game so far and doesn't seem like the sort of coach to cotton wool a bunch of squad players.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Week 1 QPR is here

my top 4: Wests, Brothers, Souths, (Bond/GPS/Easts)

my hottest of Hot-Tip… UQ for the Spoon. Double digit loss this weekend to their postcode rivals Bulldogs

top try scorer: Ilikena Vudogo 15+
top point scorer: Lawson Creighton 200+
Alec Evans medal winner: Kohan Herbert

also there’s going to be an uncapped + unsigned club rugby player that will eventually get a super rugby contract end of year that segways into featuring in RWC2027 (unsure who that is - I’m guessing it will be a lock playing colts/premier grade)

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
UQ looked pretty good the other week against the Reds Academy. They'll be there or there abouts.
Really interested to see how the Bank and Norths go, as I think all clubs rosters have improved.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
UQ looked pretty good the other week against the Reds Academy. They'll be there or there abouts.
Really interested to see how the Bank and Norths go, as I think all clubs rosters have improved.

yah I’m just trying to manifest something I would love to see.

don’t think they’ll be top 4 though

Wilson

David Codey (61)
also there’s going to be an uncapped + unsigned club rugby player that will eventually get a super rugby contract end of year that segways into featuring in RWC2027 (unsure who that is - I’m guessing it will be a lock playing colts/premier grade)
I don't think this is too outlandish but Lock would have to be the most unlikely position given the demands for them in the pro game over the past few years.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Trevor King doesn't have a Super Rugby contract right?
He has some sort of Academy/EPS at least:

Given the other names in that article (Harry McLaughlin-Phillips, Max Craig, Tim Ryan and John Bryant) you'd have to think he's very much in the fold.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think this is too outlandish but Lock would have to be the most unlikely position given the demands for them in the pro game over the past few years.

Valid point Wilson - maybe backrower than - I chose lock because it seems like a high turnover position for the wallabies/clubs. Outside backs & locks are usually the first player to be offered a contract in France or Japan.

also I never said they’d be a wallaby lock… there could be a bolter in QPR with a foreign passport who goes onto be a nationally capped recognised player in 4 years time.

Also didn’t France just give a cap recently to some NSW tall timber who was kicking around in shute shield who took a chance and relocated to France?

Downtown

Frank Row (1)
Week 1 QPR is here

my top 4: Wests, Brothers, Souths, (Bond/GPS/Easts)

my hottest of Hot-Tip… UQ for the Spoon. Double digit loss this weekend to their postcode rivals Bulldogs

top try scorer: Ilikena Vudogo 15+
top point scorer: Lawson Creighton 200+
Alec Evans medal winner: Kohan Herbert

Probably correct with your top 4 but UQ will give it a proper go this year. They have the class and depth to challenge.

I wonder how the tigers will respond after their end of season losses to Brothers in QPR23. A very loyal and committed clubman as head coach who has toiled hard to get into this position. Can he use his strengths in scrum and contact dominance to get the tigers firing?

As for GPS they are in a similar position player wise to easts with the retirement of some 1st grade stalwarts. I’m backing them to win a few tight ones but believe they are a few years from being an elite performing team.

Am tipping norths and Sunnybank to come out swinging this year. They’ve got nothing to lose and can gain confidence through some early wins. Expect enterprising footy down at both Shaw Rd and Sunnybank

predictions: Brothers double up 23 and 24.
Creighton top point scorer
Speight top try scorer

Other notable things: Frankie Goldsborough to break into the easts inside backline earlier than expected
Taine Roiri to be the backbone of Sunnybank

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Also didn’t France just give a cap recently to some NSW tall timber who was kicking around in shute shield who took a chance and relocated to France?
On a 5 year turn around - there's no way a residency pick from QPR will make the 27 world cup for another country