• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
When do QPR teams start trialing and who is playing who and when?
There are a few trials listed against Reds A/Reds Academy on rugby explorer:

QLD Reds A vs Easts on the 24th of February
QLD Reds A vs Souths on the 1st of March and QLD Reds development vs Souths on the 2nd of March (might be a duplicate listing)
QLD Reds A vs Brothers on the 9th of March

Souths also have trials listed against Bond (9/3) and Norths (16/3).

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Are you talking about the right Smit brother?

Alex probably has more natural ability than Matt, but Matt is a premiership player - he played well that year after switching from the Bulldogs.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Alex do well at the Brumbies - would be another that the Reds failed to identify.

Good luck to Alex & the youngest Kirk.

Kirk who is a #9 was excellent in the Reggie’s finals last year - especially in the preliminary final v Brothers (BOG).
Ah yes correct i had the wrong brother.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
There are a few trials listed against Reds A/Reds Academy on rugby explorer:

QLD Reds A vs Easts on the 24th of February
QLD Reds A vs Souths on the 1st of March and QLD Reds development vs Souths on the 2nd of March (might be a duplicate listing)
QLD Reds A vs Brothers on the 9th of March

Souths also have trials listed against Bond (9/3) and Norths (16/3).
think thats Easts from Sydney

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How are all the fields looking around QPRland? The wet El Niño and a fence has done wonders down at Sylvan Road

Will Crosby road be the place to be for the yearly brake outs of staph infections?

First look at qpr this weekend for souths v reds development team.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
How are all the fields looking around QPRland? The wet El Niño and a fence has done wonders down at Sylvan Road

Will Crosby road be the place to be for the yearly brake outs of staph infections?

First look at qpr this weekend for souths v reds development team.
Crosby Road has been suffering from an invasive species wearing butcher stripes for quite some time, they have a tendency to swarm around the nearest official and protest loudly after every penalty given.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
With pre-season trials to kick off soon, would like to hear from the Forum about players to watch this year and what player and coach movements have happened.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Some interesting info in Jim Tucker's preview of the Reds Academy game against souths this weekend:

Not sure if any of this has been mentioned yet but:
- Connor Vest to souths
- Sean Farrell back from Italy
- Toutai Kefu to coach defence and ruck for Souths

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Some interesting info in Jim Tucker's preview of the Reds Academy game against souths this weekend:

Not sure if any of this has been mentioned yet but:
- Connor Vest to souths
- Sean Farrell back from Italy
- Toutai Kefu to coach defence and ruck for Souths

Vest to Souths.

Sounds like they’ve recruited pretty good… I swear some Souths supporters suggested they’ve had more losses than gains early in offseason - but a welcome addition to bolster a solid back 5 in forward pack!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Vest to Souths.

Sounds like they’ve recruited pretty good… I swear some Souths supporters suggested they’ve had more losses than gains early in offseason - but a welcome addition to bolster a solid back 5 in forward pack!
Yeah, 3 fringe super props in Francis, Sula-Siaosi and Romana is a great base. Lots of current or up and coming talent in the backline too with Prass, Raboliku, Alofa Alofa and Bierton.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
What’s the go with Taj Anan - is he fit to go with the Magpies?
Should be, Annan lined up at 13 for the Reds development side last weekend. That said he's a pretty good chance of getting called into the 23 this weekend with Petaia and Paisami both probably out with concussion. How much time he gets n clubland might depend a bit on how he goes there.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
UQ appear to have a very large Colts program this year. I heard they currently have enough players for something like 6 teams! Not sure how that one will play out with the Colts competition but I hope it can to keep these young men fit and busy. Grades were hard to judge at this early time but 3rd grade looked particularly strong again.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Rant time...the new low tackle rule is an absolute joke. Went to a trial game on the weekend and there were about a thousannnnnd penalties for great tackles that were chest high but were pinged for a high tackle.

Rugby just find ways to turn people off. Because there were so many penalties from tackles at the chest the game had no flow. It completely takes out "big hits" from the game which was one part i loved. I remember one moment in the match where i thought nope this is not rugby was watching a tackle where the prop made a dominant Brian Lima vs Hougard esque tackle and it was penalised. What a sad sad thing. Think id rather watch league.

And more to that how do you even police it. Some tackles that were the exact same had no penalties and others were stopped. The referees have a hard enough job let alone adjudicating every single tackle. pffft they said it would promote running rugby. How does it do that when penalties have increased and more stoppages.

I had a mate in the lower grades tell me that the referee didnt even bother with the rule cos it was first game in.

Surely im not the only one that thinks this is detrimental to the game. The best hitters in the game Jerry Collins, Brian Lima all tackled chest high.

Very Sad