• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Schools Trial Games and Selections 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Villanova are looking to be the top team for 2010 in the AIC competition, having already knocked over St Laurences and Ashgrove.

The Villa fullback(unsure of name) is apparently a bit of a tryscoring machine

I think you will find it is the one of their wingers that is the try scoring machine. Goes by the handle of JK. The number 15 is Bell and captain.
However the best player in the side is the number 7. They also have some very large and handy locks.

W

Wantok

Without going into the whole GPS vs AIC vs CHS nonsense there is little doubt GPS will dominate QLD schoolboy selections.
However look out for some AIC potential starters including the Villa winger (allready an NTS player) mentioned above , the Ashgrove No3 Maafu and maybe some of the Villa forwards either 1 or 3 .
I am also hearing a couple of CHS players are likely starters.

T

TheTruth

Without going into the whole GPS vs AIC vs CHS nonsense there is little doubt GPS will dominate QLD schoolboy selections.
However look out for some AIC potential starters including the Villa winger (allready an NTS player) mentioned above , the Ashgrove No3 Maafu and maybe some of the Villa forwards either 1 or 3 .
I am also hearing a couple of CHS players are likely starters.

Wantok
GPS sides always seem to dominate CHS, AIC etc but there are always some great players in these sides. Hard thing for selectors is to identify those players in "average" teams being generally in losing teams that would be successful in a better side. Thankfully I'm am not a selector and cop all the crap that goes with it (and I can then bag them for some of their selections Ha Ha) Mongel job but someone has to do it

T

TheTruth

Just recalled Ben Daley played for CHS against GPS and look how far he has gone and is going - am sure there ARE plenty of others as well

W

Wantok

Yes It is a difficult job being a selector - and we all reserve the right to offer our expert opinions !

Truth is they are genuinelly trying to get the best teams , so I hope they cast a wide net to get talent regardless of where they play.

T

TheTruth

Yes It is a difficult job being a selector - and we all reserve the right to offer our expert opinions !

Truth is they are genuinelly trying to get the best teams , so I hope they cast a wide net to get talent regardless of where they play.

"The older I get the better I was" just thought I'd chuck that in. but agree that they want to win with the best team - it gives them kudos - thankless bloody job open to subjective comments from mongrel parents often trying to live their lives thru that of their kids - happens from the under 7's thru to opens.

I remember years ago being told by a rugby age co-ordinator at a Brisy GPS school that the worst day of the year was when the teams were picked - mothers and orfathers would front him up or call him and say that their little Johnny was better than Freddie and he should be in the Under 16C's and not the D's etc etc etc

D

Doc

I'll try and do a write up of any contentious decisions and arguments from the meeting. Live posting might be a bit obvious.

W

Wantok

Appreciate any and all of your insights into this "mysterious" process of selection !!!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Trials for Qld schools are next week. Bit out of touch with schools footy these days but might venture out to Ballymore.

Anyone got some names to look out for? If seasons past are any indication the GPS sides will be too strong but it would be good to hear about a few non GPS boys who might be worth watching.

R

rugbywhisperer

Queensland Championships:

Thursday 24 June:
16:15: GPS 2 v AIC 2
17:30: CSS 2 v AIC 1
18:45 CSS 1 v GPS 1

Friday 25 June:
17:10 AIC 2 v CSS 2
18:20 GPS 2 v CSS 1
19:30 AIC 1 v GPS 1

Sunday 27 June:
10:00 GPS 1 v AIC 2
11:00 CSS 2 v GPS 2
12:00 AIC 1 v CSS 1

NOVOTEL AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS CHAMPIONSHIPS

BALLYMORE BRISBANE 6 July - 11 July
Pool A – NSW I, QLD II, COMBINED STATES, VICTORIA
Pool B – NSW II, QLD I, ACT, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Day 1, Tues 6 July
A:
NSW I v VIC
QLD II v CS
B:
NSW II v WA
QLD I v ACT

Day 2, Thursday 8 July
A:
NSW I v CS
QLD II v VIC
B:
NSW II v ACT
QLD I v WA

Day 3, Friday 9 July
A:
NSW I v QLD II
CS v VIC
B:
NSW II v QLD I
ACT v WA

Day 4, Sunday 11 July
Finals

W

Wantok

People to watch from AIC - Klassen ( winger) , Bell (Fullback) , Maafu (tighthead) , McIntyre (tighthead) all have a shot at getting into a Qld team.

R

rugbywhisperer

GPSII - 73 v AIC II - 0; pretty entertaining game with some good rugby by GPS
Tries for GPSII: Fairnington, Adkins, Timu (2), Goodrich(2), Hymel Hunt, Lollback,petaia, Talialui (Res) Taefu 9/11 Conversions. Unfortunately for AIC II they had little workable posession and there weren't any standout players. Gor GPS Fairningon at #9 had a very good game, Henry Taefu #12 very grrod and John O'Connor #15 played very well making three decisive breaks. Honourable mention to Caleb Timu #8 and Will Slipper # 6.

CSSII - 19 v AIC I - 29; quite an even game without much excitement until the last 15 where AIC took control – sorry, didn’t get the scorers. No massive standouts here and the more fancied AIC I players not stamping their mark. CSS II did very well to contain them as long as they did and we were expecting a boilover until AIC I took control.

CSS I - 19 v GPS I - 31; GPS were dominant in the first half but their forwards were a bit kacklustre, CSS put it to GPS in the second half with some good rushing defence. Tries to CSS I: Santo,and Parker (2), for GPS I: Elijah Paulupe (2), F’Sautia and Crook (2), Phillips 2 conversions and Carpenter 1 conversion. For CSS I Caden Matehaere was solid playing at 10, safe and secure, Dion Taumata at #15 gave good direction (why at 15 and not 10 or 12?), Michael Parker at #2 also a good game. No great brilliance but wonderful resolve by these guys to contain the more fancied GPS I side. CSS I forwards were good as a pack. Gor GPS I Giorgio Phillips at # 15 very solid and safe, some good runs, Chris F'Sautia again showing his class and dependability, great try through his efforts, Lindsay Crook played R wing with #11 on his back?? scored 2 great individual tries and the halves Ben Meehan #9 and Grant Davies at #10 were solid but no great overstatement. Michael Bermingham at #3 great, very solid, Mitch Carpenter #4 again very good and Elijah Palupe at #2 good. Disappointed in the loose forwards allowing CSS I forwards to dominate the second half. CSS I won some very good turnover ball at the breakdown and really put the acid onto the GPS I forwards with some good aggressive play.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Thanks for the report rw. CSS I v GPS I is always the best game of the weekend. The CSS boys don't seem to be intimidated by the big names of the GPS team. Also normally the only night that the GPS team play their top players.

R

rugbywhisperer

Thanks for the report rw. CSS I v GPS I is always the best game of the weekend. The CSS boys don't seem to be intimidated by the big names of the GPS team. Also normally the only night that the GPS team play their top players.

I would think that not many stanped their superiority other than F'sautia, Phillips, Crook and Hynt. The rest i would think are to play again to cement their spots. Even Curtis Browning was unusually quiet last night and Palupe at 8 was very unseen.

T

TheTruth

I would think that not many stanped their superiority other than F'sautia, Phillips, Crook and Hynt. The rest i would think are to play again to cement their spots. Even Curtis Browning was unusually quiet last night and Palupe at 8 was very unseen.

Palupe was terrible, Browning quiet (but all know his ability) - Sautia very good but Crook the stand-out in GPS 1 - Thought they were lucky to get away by 12 in the end - No.9 Fainington good in GPS 2 with some fantastic bullet - like passes - Will Slipper very good at 6 and just controlled what was around him and got a few solid hits - Brother of JOC (James O'Connor), Johnny O'Connor played very well at 15. and will get call-up into one of the Qld teams IMO - IMO Dion T. should be the QLD 1 half and with a good backline will be dynamite at nationals and give the team some mongrel and go-forward

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wonder if anyone in Qld could tell me what has happened to George Brimmer, a backrower with tons potential, from Noosa? I lived in Noosa for several years up to couple years ago, and had met him few times, and was in the Red development squad last I heard, and would be in his last year of school, so any news about him would be appreciated...apparently his dad knocked back an offer of a partial scholarship to Nudgee on his behalf...

O

Overseer

Wonder if anyone in Qld could tell me what has happened to George Brimmer, a backrower with tons potential, from Noosa? ..

Never heard of him.

GPS 2 defeated CSS 1 34 - 10
GPS 2 played their skins out to show they are better than the GPS 1's and the score is some indication of the difference in the forward attitude. Backs not in the race but there could be some forward switching come Sunday. Slipper again dependable, Timu very mobile and effective. John O’Connor tried a fer good runs but handling let him down and Walter Petaia did some good things and tried hard. All the GPS forwards played exceptionally well and manned up very effectively. Ready at hooker was very good. Fairnington’s passes were crisp and bullet like.
For CSS I, I was a little disappointed by Dion Taumata. He kicked a bit too much for mine but he really didn't penetrate or set the backs alight like I had hoped for and their attack depended on him being more than effective. They missed Caden Mataehaere and he might put in a run on Sunday to restore some pride for himself and the side and this side should account for AIC 1 quite easily one would think.

GPS 1 defeated AIC 1 - 59 - 5
GPS 1 pulled most of their back line at half time and gradually replaced the remainder of the side from then as did AIC so the result is not really indicative. The score at halftime 33 - 0. Steve Hunt was replaced just before half time by Henry Taefu. Cox twins came on for Davies and Taefu and played the house down. They could press for selection with that display. By full time only 2 or 3 original GPS 1 players remained on field which is the norm. The GPS 1 backs clicked very well and the forwards played far better than the previous evening. AIC put it to GPS in the first 10 mins or so but as soon as the scoring started the floodgates opened. Sautia very devastating at 13 and once he learns how to use Crook on the wing it will be a scoring bonanza. A couple went begging through poor or ill timed passes and a teeny bit of hogging but nothing too serious. Steve Hunt very good but took it himself a bit too much. Georgio Phillips is very dependable and elusive as the custodian. I understand he and Crook run sub 11 sec so it is a very fast back three that should grace Qld 1.
Really AIC never looked the piece once GPS got their legs but it was a great initial 10mins. Such was the domination by GPS that AIC players were on the back foot most of the first half and we really never got a chance to see them attack which is a shame as Klassen at 11 is a good player and he suffered through his team’s domination by others. I hope for him he gets a better game and more ball on Sunday but I fear it won’t be the case.

R

rugbywhisperer

Thanks overseer. I miised the games last night through other commitments.
Did the GPS #9/10 combo improve as they were a bit unco on Thurdsay. Having said that I believe they will be a potent combo moving forward as will the back 4.

The final day saw a mix and match GPS teams take on the AIC and CSS 2 teams. The results were significantly closer that would normally have been.
In all honesty we here at rugby house in Brisbane centre area have not been impressed with too many at all from the AIC and CSS outfits and I worry that the entire Qld teams will be comprised of GPS players, such was the dominance of the GPS players over their opponents. Team wise CSS were competitive to a degree but there aren't too many if any players you would put into a Qld team over any of the GPS players.
Reality will however take a stance and we must see some token AIC and CSS selections, maybe in the reserves area but certainly not in Qld I where I would expect the GPS 1 team to go to nationals intact except maybe for the left wing where I would expect Nowlan to be replaced by either Goodrich of Toowoomba or Taliauli from TSS who put in a sterling performance today with 5 tries against AIC 2's. I would prefer Goodrich for his ingenuity and speed but Taliauli is big and occasionally size does get confused with ability.

Results from Day 1 of Queensland Schoolboy trials at Ballymore:

Results from Day 1 of Queensland Schoolboy trials at Ballymore:

GPS 2 73 (T Lollback 2, C Timu 2, J Goodrich 2, M Fairnington, H Hunt, W Petaia, L Taliauli, D Tomlinson tries, H Taefu 9 cons) def AIC 2 0

AIC 1 29 (E Carter, M Richards, L Russ, J Creighton, D. Morseu tries, E Bell 2 cons) def CSS 2 19 (E Brown, D Eason, K Palmer tries, B Kent 2 cons)

GPS 1 31 (M Ngauamo 2, L Crook 2, C F’sautia tries, G Davies con, G Phillips 2 cons) def CSS 1 19 (M. Parker 2, D Cockin tries, D Taumata 2 cons)

Results from Day 2 of Queensland Schoolboy Rugby trials at Ballymore:

CSS 2 26 (B Kent 2, D Eason, R Courtice tries, B Kent 2 cons, D Eason con) def AIC 2 10 (C Myers, J Watson tries)

GPS 2 34 (W Petaia 2, A Ready, C Timu, W Barrett, L Taliauli tries, J Milne 2 cons) def CSS 1 10 (J Hennaway try, D Taumata pen, con)

GPS 1 59 (G Davies 2, L Crook, G Nowlan, G Phillips, J Goodrich, S Cox, N Connelly tries, G. Davies 3 cons, H Taefu 3 cons, B Meehan con) def AIC 1 5 (A Shipp try)

T

TOCC

Queensland Schools 1
1 Elijah Palupe (BSHS)
2 Maile Ngaumo (IGS)
3 Michael Bermingham (BGS)
4 Curtis Browning (BSHS)
5 Jack Bridges(GT)
6 CalebTimu (NC)
7 Kristian Satui (NC)
8 Elisha Paulpe (BSHS)
9 Ben Meehan (BSHS)
10 Grant Davies (BGS)
11 Lindsay Crook (TSS)
12 Henry Taefu (ACGS)
13 Chris F’Sautia (BSHS)
14 Walter Petaia (BSHS)
15 Giorgio Phillips (NC)

16 Campbell Wakely (TSS)
17 Jake Payne (St Edmunds)
18 Josef Horomia (BSHS)
19 Will Slipper (TSS)
20 Ryan O’Connell (Downlands)
21 Dudley Tomlinson (ACGS)
22 Cayden Matehaere (Keebra Park)
23 Sean Cox (TSS)

Queensland Schools 2
1 Pettowa Paraka (TSS)
2 Andrew Ready (GT)
3 Tonga Maafu (Marist Ashgrove)
4 Brendan Mitchell (Siena)
5 Mitchell Carpenter (BGS)
6 Tim Lollback (NC)
7 Joseph Swan (BSHS)
8 Michael Richards (Marist Ashgrove)
9 Nathan Lennan (Downlands)
10Dion Taumata (Keebra Park)
11 Lausii Taliauli (TSS)
12 Cameron Patrick (Mountain Creek)
13 Stephen Hunt (NC)
14 James Klassen (Villanova)
15 Emmanuel Bell (Villanova)

16 Michael Parker (Ignatius Park College)
17 Jack Straker (BGS)
18 Ethan Brown (SCGS)
19 Dean Cockin (Saint Stephens College)
20 Aiden Kelly (Villanova)
21 Mitch Pilat (Marist Ashgrove)
22 Sam Cox (TSS)
23 Jeriah Goodrich (TGS)

Status
Not open for further replies.