• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Combined States was announced last night.

ASRU Combined States 2015 Named

By Andrew on June 21, 2015 in News
The Combined States team to compete at the Sebel ASRU Championships has been selected:
(in School alphabetic order)

Name, School, State
Connor CHRISTENSEN, Brisbane Boys College, QLD
Campbell HALLIDAY, Brisbane Grammar School, QLD
Fraser McREIGHT, Brisbane Grammar School, QLD
Alex CRONAN, Canberra Grammar School, ACT
Jordan IEREMIA, Hoxten Park High School, NSW
Ryan CONNOLLY, Hunter Sports High School, NSW
Richard MUNCHOW, Kirwin High School, QLD
Joe WILLIAMS, Knox Grammar School, NSW
Netane MASIMA, Lumeah High School, NSW
Alex POHLA, Narrara Valley High School, NSW
Andrew GRAHAM, Oakhill College, NSW
Charlie WILLIAMS, Ormiston College, QLD
Austin LATU, Patrician Brothers, NSW
Will HASKINS, Shore School, NSW
James GREEN, St Columban’s College, QLD
Andrew RICHARDSON, St Edmund’s College, QLD
Josh SCHWEITZER, St Edmund’s College, QLD
Michael FENN, St Ignatius’ College Riverview, NSW
Patrick CARRIGAN, St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace, QLD
Tom ZAPPALA, St Joseph’s Nudgee College, QLD
Phillip HUNT, St Patrick’s College, QLD
Sam MUSGROVE, Sydney Boys’ High School, NSW
Ryan LONGVILLE, Trinity Grammar School, NSW

Mods Edit: Slight formatting changes made to OP.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
As a general summary the best game of the championships was GPS 1 v GPS 2 with a draw 26-26.

High quality game, forwards (less Hewat and Luka) were better structured then the previous day, although GPS 1 scum was still fairly poor as GPS 2 had the ascendancy during the match. Lineout I think also went to GPS 2, but not by much.

GPS 2 on paper seemed a lesser team but shown some determination to silence their more fancied foe.

The performances of both sets of backs were at a very high level with some wonderful football played all round. It was genuinely a very good game of schoolboy football with some great tries by both sides.

GPS 2 were the superior team on the paddock but were unable to convert two movements with the try line open 10 m out, but dropped the ball on both occasions. Two of the GPS 1 tries were from broken play in which the movement came from deep in their half (against the run of play) and they were good enough with some great link-up passes to convert their chances.

Notables:
GPS 1: 4 Swain, 7 Farrell (ankle niggle), 11 Verevis, 12 Smit, 13 Ikitau, 15 Ngamanu & 20 Allen
GPS 2: 2 Maafu, 7 Zappala, 8 Shelton, 9 Lenac, 12 Watson, 14 Filson, 15 Robertson, 20 Macmillan & 23 Vary.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
The second best game was between AIC v CSS, however both teams did not have the finish of the top two GPS sides, particularly in the backs. Good quality game without the "bells & whistles": Final score was 21-15.

From the kick-off CSS regained the ball and within a couple of plays the #10 Williams scored within a minute (CSS 5 AIC 0). Another try was forthcoming from the kick-off again. There was a few phases after an AIC error which ended with Van der Laan scoring off the back of a maul (CSS 10 AIC 0).

AIC did not have much possession and at this stage it seemed that the momentum was with CSS whom were well drilled and more hungry for the ball. In the 22nd minute after some lose play again from AIC saw the #11 Polata (?) scored in the corner (CSS 15 AIC 0).

Last 10 minutes AIC finally had some decent ball and CSS did a lot of defending as AIC controlled the ball well. It was only penalties that kept the AIC flow from converting the pressure into points. This "boughs" finally broke with a scrum 40 m out, AIC went blind a good series of draw and passes, with the #14 Richardson who ran 20m to the line to score adjacent to the posts. The conversion was successful: Half time (CSS 15 AIC 7).

Early in the second half (3rd min) there was another try for AIC (details nil; can't read my writing!!). (CSS 15 AIC 14). CSS was absorbing a lot of pressure and AIC must of had the "super oranges" as they continued the attack seen late in the first half. Again in the 18th minute there was lose scrum which saw the #6 Schwenke taking the ball and in a barging run ran 15 m to score adjacent to the posts. Conversion successful (CSS 15 AIC 21)

CSS had a good opportunity to take the match late, with a AIC knock-on from the kick-off 18 m out. The CSS # 8 took the ball from the back of the scrum, went blind and the pass was knocked on just metres from the line. Game Over! Final score AIC 21 CSS 15.

General comments: Was some basic errors from kick off and some set piece (sloppy scrums) which lead to tries. CSS was a well drilled side (as was AIC), but AIC just wanted the game more. It seemed that AIC dominated the majority of the game and I felt were the more threatening team.

Notables: AIC #1 O'Toole, #3 Adams, #4 Wood, #6 Sikemeti, #7 Schwenke, #9 Baker & #14 Richardson
CSS #3 Green, #5 Van der Laan, #10 Willaims, #13 Coventry & #14 Walker

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With Q1, Q2 and Combined States now named, are there any players who may be pushing for National honours (Schoolboys or Schoolboy Barbarians) who missed selection for National Championships due to injury?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Hugh I'm not really in a position to say whether there is or not, because I don't really know all the players that were injured at the time and didn't play the trials. The ones I do know about (who played the trials) I don't know of the outcome for the medicals.

However, I do know that Hewat, Luka and Farrell all had some small degree of discomfort with ankle injuries. Hewat and Luka played less than half a game for the weekend.

Hunt I think has a foot injury, the degree of severity which I do not know (not privy to the scans), however he finds it very uncomfortable to run. I think he may struggle to play all the matches (rumour is that it may be a fracture). He only played less than 10 minutes maybe? as he couldn't run without major discomfort.

Meni has a hand injury that required x-rays/scans. He played very well when he did and with a lot of purpose, however the hand injury may explain a lot of dropped ball by him.

Richmond I think is one you may want to watch. In the pre-trails played with control and vision. Dislocated shoulder has him out for 6 weeks. I also thought that Gunter deserved a chance, however does tend to be a little injury prone.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is Calvin Pritchard injured or does he have some commitments to the Dark Side?

He had a good National Championships last year until he received a pretty bad knock to his tight IIRC in the Thursday game. There are probably some relieved centres around the country that he is not returning this year to oppose them, although if this years QLD crop of centres is good enough to keep him out of the squad, that relief may be somewhat short lived.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
On the selection of Qld 1 & 2.

The Backs: I agree with a previous comment that the GPS 1 & GPS 2 deserve to take all the back positions. I think however, Halliday and Vary were extremely unlucky not to be selected. Halliday didn't really make a false move, delivered well and was smart. Whilst Vary scored a wonderful try, reminiscent of Hussey (Q2 last year) and was good with his pressure and defence. Pleasing to see Halliday got a run in CS.

In the forwards: Well this is a different proposition. The GPS 1 scrum was not good. It seems to be a technical issue. They were pushed backwards by both AIC and GPS 2 (more so by AIC). In addition I did not think that the GPS 3 scrum was as good as the AIC & GPS 2 scrum.

I think it's a tight 5 issue. They made most of the usual technical mistakes: they packed too high and their purpose (aim) to the oppositions chest was not there, their binding was too loose, heads weren't up , and absolutely no commitment to stopping their backward movement. Real problem for both Qld 1 & Qld 2. I think that here is where AIC could make a real difference. O'Toole, Adams and Wood seemed to have their set pieces under control, however probably Wood was the best around the ground compared to the others. (But you want 1 & 3 to be good at set pieces first right!?).

The line out were good for AIC, CSS and GPS 2, but there were no standout. Lineout were adequate without being outstanding. I think that AIC & GPS 2 actually had the best lineouts.

The back row I think lacks technical depth. I like to see at least one technician (good at the break-down, line-out jumper, cover defense and good amount of pressure on 9 & 10. usually the #7) and the other two a mixture of technical, ball runners and cover defenders (#6 & #8). I think they have picked too many runners and this may leave both teams venerable at the break-down. My combination would have been Qld 1 Meni, Farrell & Hewat with Macmillan and Qld 2 Allen, Zappala & Shelton (TGS?) with Schwenke. Zappala has got a run with CS but Shelton didn't. Shelton, I think is a big miss.

Murphys Law

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes, does anyone have info on Prichard? I would have thought he would have been a certain if we are looking for a strong, physical 12. Although I think the sigh of relief from all of the IC contenders would have come when Sua was scratched out due to his dark side commitments. Saw that he received MOM at the recent 18s state of origin encounter.

It is a worry with the amount of injury prone players in these Qld sides. There will be a lot of worried GPS coaches out there during the championships.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I really don't know about Prichard. He may just be Rugby'd out! Maybe he's concentrating on his last year of school and to perform well for Nudgee (God bless him!). He did sustain a head cut (and possible concession??) in the pre-trials through a head knock though.

I think there is a lot of worried rugby coaches out there and not just because of injury.

If I was NC, TSS, BBC and to a lesser extent Churhie, I would be very respectful of what the TGA guys did on the weekend. They all played a simple, but a tough type of rugby (the sort that I like and usually a pleasure to watch). Anyone venturing up the hill will be greeted with a surprise so watch-out BSHS, BBC, BGS & TSS. All other watch-out as well!

They are my dark horse for GPS Qld! I think they have the cattle and it's certainly not beyond them!

Murphys Law

Allen Oxlade (6)
Who did TGA play on the weekend. Any other results in trial games on the weekend? I know rep players were missing, but does give a slight indication on the depth of teams this year, should injury become a problem.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't think anyone played on the weekend (end of term plus Qld School trials). TGA had 11 or 12 and all acquitted themselves very well.

Depth is hard to gauge at this stage. I think the best barometer is the trails (GPS) held thus far, as a lot of first XV are probably rested (no one shows their full hand, just yet).

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I think he means Watson (#16 is a prop). I agree I think he was very unlucky, however is in the 23 for Qld 2, so he will get a run, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.