• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD TEAMS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Any feedback on yesterday’s game. I did hear it wasn’t a training run, it was a practice game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some decent plays in there. Wonder if they are close to full strength sides for both teams.
Can also hear B.Thorn making comments in the background.

Seemed a bunch of fill ins.

And I am almost positive that is not Thorn’s voice you are hearing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any ma on when U19 teams announced?? Do they play same time/draw as the open team??

I believe they’ve been named but not announced. Nsw named their teams this week.

Draw is as follows.

Pool A: NSW Country, ACT, Brisbane City, Western Australia
Pool B: Sydney, Barbarians, Queensland Country, Victoria

Date Match Kick-Off Time
Saturday 29 September Sydney v Barbarians 1030
Queensland Country v Victoria 1230
Brisbane v Western Australia 1430
NSW Country v ACT 1630
Monday 1 October Queensland Country v Barbarians 1030
Brisbane v ACT 1230
Sydney v Victoria 1430
NSW Country v WA 1630
Wednesday 3 October Victoria v Barbarians 1030
ACT v Western Australia 1230
Sydney v Queensland Country 1430
Brisbane v NSW Country 1630
Friday 5 October Pool A (4th) v Pool B (4th) TBC
Pool A (3rd) v Pool B (3rd) TBC
Pool A (2nd) v Pool B (2nd) TBC
Pool A (1st) v Pool B (1st) TBC

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
View this email online

29/08/2018
QRU Media Release: Queensland squads and coaching staff announced for inaugural U19 Rugby Championship

Queensland Rugby Union today announced its squads and coaching staff for the inaugural U19s Rugby Championship.

QRU will field two teams in the tournament, Brisbane City U19s and Queensland Country U19s, which will take place in Canberra from September 28 to October 5.

The 25-man squads have been selected following the completion of the Queensland Premier Rugby season, with all nine clubs represented. 11 players from the Country side hail from Queensland’s regional pathways.

QRU has also chosen two development players for the Country U19s, with Caboolture’s Mathew Connor and Noosa’s Will Christie selected following strong performances for the Queensland Country Heelers U19s earlier this year. The pair will train with the squad in the lead up to the tournament.

Queensland Country will be coached by Bond University head coach Grant Anderson, supported by Norths’ Nick Fogarty and Sunnybank’s James McLaren.

Anderson said: “We’re really excited with the group of players we’ve got. A lot of them have played premier grade Rugby this year. We’ve got a talented forward pack and some strike power in the backline.

“I think the U19s will fill a gap in our pathway program between leaving school and the Junior Wallabies. It is a crucial stepping stone for those players looking to play rep footy as a Junior Wallaby next year.

“The tournament will be a big challenge, we’ve just got to do everything we can to make sure the players are ready to take on the best in Australia.”

Brisbane City will be coached by Sunnybank head coach Damon Virtue, who will be supported by assistants Kelevi Tuicolo of Brothers and Pat Byron from Wests.

Virtue said: “We’re happy with the squad we’ve pulled together. It is a pretty good reflection of the club competition. There’s a lot of combinations within the squad, so we’re hoping they’ll come together and click fairly quickly.

“It’s pretty exciting to take part in a new competition. It’s a much needed piece of the pathway and is really beneficial to have the guys coming from this competition into Junior Wallabies duties.

“We’re expecting tough opposition with strong teams across the board. It is going to be a great tournament.”

The U19s Rugby Championship (URC) was announced by Rugby Australia earlier this year, as a replacement for the Super U20s competition.

The inaugural tournament will feature the Western Force U19s, Melbourne Rebels U19s, Brumbies U19s, Sydney U19s, NSW Country Eagles U19s, Brisbane U19s, Queensland Country U19s and the Australian Barbarians U19s.

Queensland Country U19s – Squad and coaching staff
Head coach – Grant Anderson (Bond University)
Assistant coach – Nick Fogarty (Norths)
Assistant coach – James McLaren (Sunnybank)

Forwards
Brendan Bell – Brothers
Jack Butler – Bond University* - Gold Coast
Lachlan Connors – Bond University – Gold Coast
Will Dearden – Wests – Warwick
Theo Fourie – Souths - Rockhampton
Reno Gerrard – The Southport School – Gold Coast
Reagan Leslie – Souths – Toowoomba
Angus Lovelock – Brothers
Torah Moe – University of Queensland
Ollie Sheppard – Wests*
Egan Siggs – Brothers – Gold Coast
Alex Smit – Wests*
Laurence Tominiko – Sunnybank
Dane Zander – Norths
Matthew Connor – Caboolture Snakes (development player)

Backs
Max Dowd – Bond University – Gold Coast
Ilaisa Droasese – Wests
Isaac Henry – Wests
Elijah Kefu – Souths
Viliami Lea – Souths
Neal McNamara – Sunnybank
Lachlan Sperling – University of Queensland - Toowoomba
Isaac Tarabay – Brothers
Brad Twidale – University of Queensland – Bringalily (Darling Downs)
Joshua Walker – Bond University – Gold Coast
Cooper Whiteside – Wests
Will Christie – Noosa Dolphins (development player)
---

Brisbane City U19s – Squad and coaching staff
Head coach – Damon Virtue (Sunnybank)
Assistant coach – Kelevi Tuicolo (Brothers)
Assistant coach – Pat Byron (Wests)

Forwards
Jed Chapman – GPS
Joe Cotton – Wests
Angus Dean – Souths*
Ben Fox – Sunnybank
Elijah Kuilamu – Sunnybank
Nathan Marshall – Sunnybank
Matthew Munday – Brothers
Zac Munro – Souths
Flynn Noon – Wests*
Ben Paxton-Hall – University of Queensland
Prynce-Romeo Taugaele – Wests
Rhys Van Nek – Souths
Xavier Vela-Tupuhi – Souths
John Yates – University of Queensland

Backs
Nathan Carroll - Brothers
Hudson Creighton – Brothers
Isaac De Flavis – GPS
Will Feeney – Sunnybank
Henry Lennon – Brothers*
Liam Matenga – Easts
Liam Predagast – Norths*
Byron Ralston – Brothers
Billy Rutherford – Souths
Sam Samu - Sunnybank
Tristan Stanghon – Brothers

*NRC replacement player

Unavailable due to injury:
Liam Usher - Brothers (prop)
Lloyd Gorman - Sunnybank (prop)

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
Seemed a bunch of fill ins.

And I am almost positive that is not Thorn’s voice you are hearing.

Yeah most of the UQ and GPS players involved in the GF prior were not required for this hit out unless they wanted to. But the remaining squads were split across the two 30 min halves.

K Hunt played the full 60 I think, or thereabouts - good to see.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
View this email online

29/08/2018
QRU Media Release: Queensland squads and coaching staff announced for inaugural U19 Rugby Championship

Queensland Rugby Union today announced its squads and coaching staff for the inaugural U19s Rugby Championship.

QRU will field two teams in the tournament, Brisbane City U19s and Queensland Country U19s, which will take place in Canberra from September 28 to October 5.

The 25-man squads have been selected following the completion of the Queensland Premier Rugby season, with all nine clubs represented. 11 players from the Country side hail from Queensland’s regional pathways.

QRU has also chosen two development players for the Country U19s, with Caboolture’s Mathew Connor and Noosa’s Will Christie selected following strong performances for the Queensland Country Heelers U19s earlier this year. The pair will train with the squad in the lead up to the tournament.

Queensland Country will be coached by Bond University head coach Grant Anderson, supported by Norths’ Nick Fogarty and Sunnybank’s James McLaren.

Anderson said: “We’re really excited with the group of players we’ve got. A lot of them have played premier grade Rugby this year. We’ve got a talented forward pack and some strike power in the backline.

“I think the U19s will fill a gap in our pathway program between leaving school and the Junior Wallabies. It is a crucial stepping stone for those players looking to play rep footy as a Junior Wallaby next year.

“The tournament will be a big challenge, we’ve just got to do everything we can to make sure the players are ready to take on the best in Australia.”

Brisbane City will be coached by Sunnybank head coach Damon Virtue, who will be supported by assistants Kelevi Tuicolo of Brothers and Pat Byron from Wests.

Virtue said: “We’re happy with the squad we’ve pulled together. It is a pretty good reflection of the club competition. There’s a lot of combinations within the squad, so we’re hoping they’ll come together and click fairly quickly.

“It’s pretty exciting to take part in a new competition. It’s a much needed piece of the pathway and is really beneficial to have the guys coming from this competition into Junior Wallabies duties.

“We’re expecting tough opposition with strong teams across the board. It is going to be a great tournament.”

The U19s Rugby Championship (URC) was announced by Rugby Australia earlier this year, as a replacement for the Super U20s competition.

The inaugural tournament will feature the Western Force U19s, Melbourne Rebels U19s, Brumbies U19s, Sydney U19s, NSW Country Eagles U19s, Brisbane U19s, Queensland Country U19s and the Australian Barbarians U19s.

Queensland Country U19s – Squad and coaching staff
Head coach – Grant Anderson (Bond University)
Assistant coach – Nick Fogarty (Norths)
Assistant coach – James McLaren (Sunnybank)

Forwards
Brendan Bell – Brothers
Jack Butler – Bond University* - Gold Coast
Lachlan Connors – Bond University – Gold Coast
Will Dearden – Wests – Warwick
Theo Fourie – Souths - Rockhampton
Reno Gerrard – The Southport School – Gold Coast
Reagan Leslie – Souths – Toowoomba
Angus Lovelock – Brothers
Torah Moe – University of Queensland
Ollie Sheppard – Wests*
Egan Siggs – Brothers – Gold Coast
Alex Smit – Wests*
Laurence Tominiko – Sunnybank
Dane Zander – Norths
Matthew Connor – Caboolture Snakes (development player)

Backs
Max Dowd – Bond University – Gold Coast
Ilaisa Droasese – Wests
Isaac Henry – Wests
Elijah Kefu – Souths
Viliami Lea – Souths
Neal McNamara – Sunnybank
Lachlan Sperling – University of Queensland - Toowoomba
Isaac Tarabay – Brothers
Brad Twidale – University of Queensland – Bringalily (Darling Downs)
Joshua Walker – Bond University – Gold Coast
Cooper Whiteside – Wests
Will Christie – Noosa Dolphins (development player)
---

Brisbane City U19s – Squad and coaching staff
Head coach – Damon Virtue (Sunnybank)
Assistant coach – Kelevi Tuicolo (Brothers)
Assistant coach – Pat Byron (Wests)

Forwards
Jed Chapman – GPS
Joe Cotton – Wests
Angus Dean – Souths*
Ben Fox – Sunnybank
Elijah Kuilamu – Sunnybank
Nathan Marshall – Sunnybank
Matthew Munday – Brothers
Zac Munro – Souths
Flynn Noon – Wests*
Ben Paxton-Hall – University of Queensland
Prynce-Romeo Taugaele – Wests
Rhys Van Nek – Souths
Xavier Vela-Tupuhi – Souths
John Yates – University of Queensland

Backs
Nathan Carroll - Brothers
Hudson Creighton – Brothers
Isaac De Flavis – GPS
Will Feeney – Sunnybank
Henry Lennon – Brothers*
Liam Matenga – Easts
Liam Predagast – Norths*
Byron Ralston – Brothers
Billy Rutherford – Souths
Sam Samu - Sunnybank
Tristan Stanghon – Brothers

*NRC replacement player

Unavailable due to injury:
Liam Usher - Brothers (prop)
Lloyd Gorman - Sunnybank (prop)

I’m surprised there’s no spot for Finn McKee of Norths can play anywhere from 10-15 and got MOTM in Norths home win over Brothers in his first Prem grade game. Then he played the house down for Australian Stockmen vs Western Force U19s the other week.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Yes, I think he is the only Colts player who has been in a starting First Grade team this year who was not selected in any NRC team - Seniors or u19

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Could this have something to do with his Stockman commitments? Not sure. He should be playing. I've heard that Shea Lalagavesi is in line for Barbarians selection so hopefully the same goes for Finn

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Western Force look like they're the benchmark for the NRC.

They were just far too professional for Brisbane City yesterday.

I think BC have some improvement in them.

Great start for QC (Quade Cooper) inCanberra.

Reactions: dru

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Popped back home to see his family. Back now and we should see him soon enough.

It’s not like they need him tbh.

That country backline could give a lot of super rugby teams a run for their money.

A gluttony of talent but can’t wait to welcome him back.

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
Where has Daugunu been?

2 weeks in a row Country missing the 2017 NRC top try scorer

Only returned back to training this week from what I hear. But I think Reg is right, we'll likely see him soon enough (next week?).

I wonder who misses out when CFS returns from injury, if he does return for NRC.... ?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Surely if the Country backline could give super rugby teams a run for their money, the Reds would have.

Yeah I don’t think it’s that simple but I understand your point.

Perhaps it’s the reds forward pack being the issue or maybe the backline coach of the reds not being as effective as the country coach?

I just look at the country backline and see all the super rugby experience and see why they are the champs

Status
Not open for further replies.