• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD u/19 Squad 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Any news on the actual squad for this?

Was impressed with Conor Mitchell in Uni's Premier team on the weekend. Browning was also very good. I really hope they only use him as a back rower. Changing him to prop could mess him up.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Is there no interest in this game on Saturday. There is nothing about it on these forums - no teams, no discussion, nothing. Its interesting as I thought this game is a trial for National Academy and will contain a lot of players that will make up the U20's next year and as such some may have some opinion

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Qld u 19 side as per the Uni web site:

11 Heavies selected for QLD Under 19s
The University of Queensland has 11 players selected for Queensland ahead of Saturday’s ARU Under 19 Academy game against New South Wales.
Wakely, Sam Reiser, Conor Mitchell, Jamie Taulagi, Harry Parker, Elija Palupe, Ethan Brown, Terrin Walls, Scott Gale and Daniel Damen will all feature in the side.
Nick Malouf and Curtis Browning were also considered but are unavailable for the fixture.

NA Academy QLD Under 19 Team
Campbell
Wakely
University
Andrew
Ready
Easts
Phillip
Kite
GPS
Sam
Fattal
Easts
Sam
Reiser
University
Dean
Cooper
Breakers
Connor
Mitchell
University
Nuku
Swerling
Breakers
Scott
Malolua
GPS
Grant
Davies
Breakers
Jamie
Taulagi
University
Samu
Kerevi
GPS
Henry
Taefu
Sunnybank
Andy
Muirhead
Souths
Harry
Parker
University

RESERVES

LHP
Elija
Palupe
University
Hooker
Faa
Laafaitele
Easts
THP
Ethan
Brown
University
Lock
Terrin
Walls
University
Flanker
Tom
Vaessen
University

Hooker
Michael
Parker
QLD Country
THP
Feao
Fotuaika
Sunnybank

Scott
Gale
University
Tom
Lucas
Sunnybank
Outside
Daniel
Damen
University

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
For those interested NSW u19 defeated QLD u19 31-19 at Ballymore today. Good game with NSW controlling both forward exchanges and the open spaces. QLD tries came from 2 pickand drives and a maul near the lin

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
really surprised abotu terrin walls i though he was struggling for prem colt game time?

True- Terrin played between Colts 1 & Prems all year. I rate him as one of the hardest (ie: toughest & niggliest) colts I've seen in years. IMHO his game suits grades/non-colts - such as yesterday's game- more so than the speed of Prem colts.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
True- Terrin played between Colts 1 & Prems all year. I rate him as one of the hardest (ie: toughest & niggliest) colts I've seen in years. IMHO his game suits grades/non-colts - such as yesterday's game- more so than the speed of Prem colts.
Obviously uni didn't think so playing him in colts 1 majority of the year

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry rugbywatch I should've been clearer:

The Premier Colts game is super-fast. Faster than any open-grade going around. With the de-powered scrums and the modified lineouts (lifting off shorts, not legs) and the fact that you are playing against other players your age (rather than looking solely at skill level in grades) a greater premium is placed on speed and fitness, than on size and that mongrel factor.

There are a few players at Uni I can think of who aren't as fast as the players ahead of them in colts, whose skill sets are better suited to the somewhat slower but much harder-hitting and tougher grades environment - Keiran Fitzgibbon who also played Colts 1 most of the year but stood out in reserve grade also (his career highlight was winning a tighthead scrum on the 5m against GPS with 6 men vs 8, which saw one of the backs race away for a 95m match-winner) is one, and I think Terrin is in the same mould.

I hope that is clearer?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Firstly Terrin played 16 games in Prem colts with 11 of them starting plus a few more fresh on the bench so saying he played the majority in colts 1 is not right.

Secondly Terrin is a fantastic prospect with all the physical attributes – Fast, solid frame, great hand eye, explosive, physical (as Cat mentioned) – that you need in the top flight.

I assume he was chosen as a bit of a roughie for the QLD 19’s squad and obviously trained the house down to be picked in the final team. From all reports he went pretty well in the half he played.

Terrin will get another go in colts next year and I expect him to be one of the top players in the competition

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I respectfully disagree with your statements about Premier Colts being faster than grades. Maybe in 3rd grade and down but as someone who has experienced and been involved in both levels I find that like any competition there is fast games and slower games, some teams play expansive others up the middle. Terrin from what i have seen from schoolboys and colts is a solid player and teams would never say know to him, but i think to pick him in the best 22 out of qld is a stretch.

On the usbject of Fitzgibbon the kid has size and strenght i will give him that and his scrum isnt to shabby but his general play needs to change befor ei htink he can be considered a good prop. From the 2 or 3 game he can soemtimes go missing around the field.

P.s Also i dont know how lifting by the shorts makes the game faster? I always found that rule was neve rreally enforced at colts level and make life alot harder than it has to be.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Happy to disagree td about the speed of the game. My knowledge comes from watching close up, but unlike you I haven't had the experience of playing both.

Re: lifting off shorts - you're right. It's not enforced at all until the teams play at Ballymore on finals weekend. Then you can bet on those teams who have been lifting off legs all year getting a few pings against them as referees suddenly have touch judges too... I think it's a ridiculous rule, but the rationale behind my including it is that it can have the effect of leveling the playing field somewhat - those lanky kids with awesome jumps and crazy long legs can't really get up that much higher than those without. At least not enough to make a substantial difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.