• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QRU loses $10.8 mill over 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...over-three-years/story-e6frepm6-1225852002830

THE full horror story of Queensland rugby's cash crisis was revealed yesterday as a loss of $3.1 million for 2009 which made a bailout essential.

The Queensland Rugby Union was on life support in cash terms because that dire figure was compounded by exhausting a bank line of credit of $2.6 million to pay for its operations.

The release of the QRU's financial statements shows there was no choice but to go cap-in-hand to the Australian Rugby Union last month to seek a rescue package.

Ouch. I knew things were rough but that's atrocious. Are the ARU going to have to take over ?

I have no idea how anyone's supposed to run a S14 franchise with just $436K in gate receipts.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Naza gate receipts were down $436K. I'm not sure how much gate taking were. The rumour is the need between 15 to 18 thousand people at Lang Park to break even.

C

chief

Jesssuusss christ. I think we will see, depending on the Reds season, half and half, half games at Ballymore like minor ones, and the rest at Suncorp. Speaking of which I wonder if they beat the Lions tonight, what the crowd will be like next week against the Bulls. As the Broncos aren't doing so well, we might see a few supporters less for Broncos games and more at the Reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
possibly, but the Lions are doing well and they are a more fasionable bandwagon to jump on.

I reckon we will still get less than 25,000. Am thinking 22,000 tops,

C

chief

Yeah 22,000-23,000 I reckon, helps that its on a Saturday night. The next game is on a Friday night against the Stormers so that won't attract a very decent crowd will be lucky to get 20k for that.

T

TOCC

Don't be fooled by the figures, that loss includes writedowns on the value of ballymore, a true indication would be the reds operating loss over that period

Status
Not open for further replies.