• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Hit a nerve? Completely over the top response........Here's the point: People like footballers are in the spotlight. Do stupid things (breaking and entering, constant niggling on the park, suspensions, drunken brawls with other players) and the majority of people will think you are a twat.....Quade Cooper does a great job of looking like a twat. Sorry.

1. A point of clarification and why, yes, a nerve was hit. You did not in your first post here - the one I objected to - call QC (Quade Cooper) 'a twat'. You stated he possessed 'the mentality of a 12 year old delinquent' as the defining description of him.

2. Persistent eye gouging is a bit heavier that the on-field incidents - the so-called 'cheap shots' upon HRH Richie (whom of course has been snow white in his own on field conduct over the years) - that QC (Quade Cooper) has been accused of by you and others. The alleged 'breaking and entering' in your list of Cooper transgressions was neither taken to court, nor proven, nor did QC (Quade Cooper) ever get to provide his version of events. Yes, a single suspension from the game, but that is not a 'low mentality' rarity in my book. And the 'constant niggling on the park' you refer to is hardly a 'constant' truth in Cooper's whole 2010 and 2011 seasons, 90% of it occurs wrt one player in one type of game only. What 'drunken brawl' (as you reference) was Cooper demonstrated to be in that the ARU has confirmed and objected to?

3. You have confidently asserted that, based upon your list, the 'majority of people' will 'think you (Cooper) are a twat'. That may be the case in your world; in much of mine here in Brisbane/SEQ, there are many, many that think he's a frikken hero of the modern game and hold him in good esteem. Many think the likes of Link, QC (Quade Cooper), Genia, Horwill, Ioane and small bundle of terrific others have recently rescued the game from near-certain disaster in this historical rugby heartland. And that's where a good portion of my 'loyalty' to this bloke comes from.

Over and out from me on this thread.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
QC (Quade Cooper) IMPRESSED at the press conference after the game on Saturday night. Reporter tried to bring Quade into the game being being all about QC (Quade Cooper). Quade didn't buy into and began his answer with 'The Team'. He is maturing all the time and I'm pleased he is. A great talent and his passion for the game is immense. Love the niggle with Richie. For all your going off about it - Richie lets it get under his skin and how long has he been around? How many times has Richie niggled palyers over his reign - and be honest. Cooper doesn't back down and he is certainly at a disadvantage size wise. Love it.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm not into forgiving someone their vices because they can do special things on a sports ground. Like it or not, they're role models as well as athletes. I don't want my kids thinking its okay to drop a knee into an opponents head (or for other kids to think its okay to drop a knee into my child's head).

I'll take a Pat Rafter over a Lleyton Hewitt (with apologies to Hewitt who I don't mind all that much) for those reasons. Until Cooper drops the rubbish, I'll be able to admire what he can do on the rugby pitch, but I won't like him. I'm sure he doesn't care about that and I don't know why anyone else should.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
What I find laughable is the idea that this spat - and QC (Quade Cooper) doesn't seem to specially have one with any other player - is obviously Quade's 'fault'

A lot's changed since I played some very middling openside flanker, but of all priorities, getting to the opposition 10 (especially when he's their backline talisman) is surely still at the top of an openside's wish list? I was happy to give away the odd penalty for the chance.

The idea that saint Richie McCaw is the victim in this whole saga is therefore fucking laughable. Even the same guys worshipping at his feet and 'protucting his honour' in all the various threads around this place (and anywhere else Kiwis post on the internet) would surely admit that rattling the eminently rattlable Quade Cooper would have to be even on Sir Richie's to do list of laws to be 'played to the edge of'. Not doing so would surely be dereliction of a 7s duty?

That Cooper has decided he won't be McCaws bitch has obviously disappointed the Richie accolytes, but in my opinion - thank fuck he hasn't!

We're not talking eye-gauging, choke holds or spear tackles here, we're talking a push and a tame knock with a knee (which was rightly cleared). From Richie we've had at least a kick in the nuts and slaps in the face.

Truth is, as a few have admitted, you just don't like Quade and this spat gives you an outlet for that. As a sporting decisions go - the two of them are equally "blamable" in this situation, just that it's another little excess that Saint Richie get's pardoned for.

In my opinion, as niggle spats go, it's 30-15 to Quade.

N

ncam

Sure he polarises people on a personal level; any objective skills based assessment must place Quade (aka "The Matador") as a great of the modern game and potentially an all time great. The fact threads like this exist is a testament to that.

Pro's
1. Best passing game in the business combines with great vision (typically at least one "miracle ball" example per game).
2. Fantastic with the ball in hand and on the counter attack
3. Supurb kicking in general play.
4. He sledges like Glen McGrath.

Con's
1. He has not been dubbed "The Matador" for nothing (mitigated through positioning)
2. He has the potential to be shown a red card at an inopportune time...

I'm sure the second con will not be an issue in the RWC. Quade would have been shitting himself when he found out that he could possibly miss a large proportion of the tournament as a result... he won't forget it that easily.

J

Jay

We're not talking eye-gauging, choke holds or spear tackles here, we're talking a push and a tame knock with a knee (which was rightly cleared). From Richie we've had at least a kick in the nuts and slaps in the face.

I think 'kick in the nuts' is bit much. If you're gonna point out that the knee was tame, you should also note the 'kick' was also pretty tame (and that it was partly provoked).

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
It was all provoked, that's the point.

Nothing serious is going on, just niggle and I honestly think that if Ritchie was getting under Quade's skin, the Aussies would be shitting themselves and the Kiwis would be pointing to how awesome ritchie is.

Fact it is the other way around makes it a matter of pride, for both sides.

J

Jay

It was all provoked, that's the point.

Nothing serious is going on, just niggle and I honestly think that if Ritchie was getting under Quade's skin, the Aussies would be shitting themselves and the Kiwis would be pointing to how awesome ritchie is.

Fact it is the other way around makes it a matter of pride, for both sides.

Nah, I reckon the main reason why Quade is getting shit for the niggle is that he doesn't back it up with any sort of physical play. There's other niggly bastards around who don't generate the same level of annoyance, but they're not complete turnstiles on defence.

He's like some annoying little shit who's poking a dog with a stick, safe in the knowledge that it's chained up.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Nah, I reckon the main reason why Quade is getting shit for the niggle is that he doesn't back it up with any sort of physical play. There's other niggly bastards around who don't generate the same level of annoyance, but they're not complete turnstiles on defence.

He's like some annoying little shit who's poking a dog with a stick, safe in the knowledge that it's chained up.

What a load of garbage. He's on the same paddock playing in the same game, often with the ball in hand attacking the line. If anyone was good enough to put a proper shot on him they could - but obviously can't.

Hat's off - I realised Quade's niggle had rattled McCaw - I didn't know it had spread even further!

J

Jay

What a load of garbage. He's on the same paddock playing in the same game, often with the ball in hand attacking the line. If anyone was good enough to put a proper shot on him they could - but obviously can't.

Hat's off - I realised Quade's niggle had rattled McCaw - I didn't know it had spread even further!

I dunno how good you'd have to be to put a shot on him when he was sitting on the ground after a try had been scored or on his back at the bottom of a ruck. I suspect if the AB's really wanted to, it'd be quite easy to do that.....

Anyway, I didn't actually say that's what I thought, I was meaning that's the general perception - obviously he's a professional rugby player and isn't a complete soft-on. But on a scale of Naas Botha to Buck Shelford, he's on the wussy end.

A

antipodean

Obvious bias is obvious.

Well they could, but the tackle would be penalised for being late after Quade threw the ball away...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The alleged 'breaking and entering' in your list of Cooper transgressions was neither taken to court, nor proven, nor did QC (Quade Cooper) ever get to provide his version of events.

A point of clarification
It WAS taken to court, QC (Quade Cooper) requested an adjournment and subsequently entered the justice mediation process, whereby you meet the victims,take responsability for your actions and make restitution where appropriate.If the mediation is completed to the satisfaction of all parties. The prosecutor then formally drops the charges at the next court hearing.
You cannot enter the mediation process without admitting guilt.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
From Richie we've had at least a kick in the nuts and slaps in the face.

Those 'slaps in the face' are technically called 'fends' and if QC (Quade Cooper) dropped his shoulder to actually try and put a decent hit on, his face wouldn't be in the way. :D

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
many ties in the last two years after quade has basically won a game on his own ive seen interviewers congratulate him on the game and suggest he had won it>>
everytime quade has deflected the praise and pointed towards teamwork and given credit to the forwards
he has his faults in defense but he is unmatched in the world in attack
its a give shit or get shit world out there> and im glad quades stayin on the front foot

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Quade should grow a curly moustache he can twirl at the stands in NZ. He might as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.