• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade vs Kurtley

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Fair enough, I don't think speed is a absolute necessity playing 15, I don't know how fasthe is in comparison to other players though
I tend to think good awareness and field presence can make up for a lack of speed

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I tend to think that speed is a very important asset for a fullback. If Mark Gerard had pace he would be the OZ 15 easily.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Re: Quade v Kurtley

Lindommer said:
It was very, very disappointing to see that picture of a blown-up Beale and to read about his weight issues. If he's not motivated to get stuck into training and to watch his diet and general fitness to counter the opportunties Cooper received on the EOYT, well it doesn't look good for the future. Is he mentally tough enough? He was an outstanding schoolboy rugby player, one of the best I've seen; maybe it all came too easy for him.

Lindommer; Hangers taking the 10 jersey off Beale for a few games could be the kick up the arse that might help Beale. Beale needs some competition for the jersey - being handed the jersey at 18 and being fed plaudits on how good you are surely couldn't have been a solid grounding for the kid. I am hoping that he didn't read all the media articles on himself.

I'm just worried that if he does lose his jersey to Halangahu, and I think he probably will at some stage, that he might give up and head to league.

Has Beale even had the luxury of an elder, more experienced top flyhalf impart his hard earned knowledge into him?

Lindommer said:
Beale had a priceless chance to steal a march on all those rivals listed here with his start in Super rugby last year. His performances for the Tahs this year were a vital contribution to their success getting into the semis and he played well enough during his time on the paddock in the final against the Saders. But, gee, his defence still needs a lot of work.

I'd like to see Beale with a more creative 12 than Carter outside of him - and I might say the same for Horne too. I think we only saw the start of what Horne is capable of, but we didn't see plenty of the things Lee attributed to him as a schoolboy. Maybe because he was playing at 13. I was one of many who thought Carter was a waste at 12, a flat track bully, but he did much better than I expected and suited the Tahs gameplan well, despite being one dimensional. But he got away with being one dimensional because he did his role well.

Hopefully Horne can become more settled and comfortable, and Tahu given time at 12 and then we might see more from Beale. Remembering that Beale had a S14 rookie at 12 and a rookie at 13, and a rookie at 9 for half the season puts some perspective on his performances. Fortunately, he had a dominant forward pack to help him out.

Lindommer said:
Cooper's various brain snaps (poor disclipine, stupid kicks) are all fixable. It'd be good to see some older lag take him under his wing, and give him the occasional clip over the ear when required. He looks like an angry young man who doesn't have a clue why he's angry. Maybe a stint of something completely different, a Christmas spent helping the homeless on the streets of Brisbane, might make him realise how bloody lucky he is and give him a bit of inner contentment. When Cooper gets his mind in order he'll be a great rugby player.

I don't think Cooper had make it as a top fly half until he settles his attitude problem. That kind of niggle from a fly half, who is supposed to keep a level head and guide your team around the field, is not what you want. I like your suggestion - get him into some charity work with the underprivleged.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Ash said:
I don't think Cooper had make it as a top fly half until he settles his attitude problem. That kind of niggle from a fly half, who is supposed to keep a level head and guide your team around the field, is not what you want. I like your suggestion - get him into some charity work with the underprivleged.

Like Larkham v Spencer?

T

TOCC

short memories?
stephen-larkham-shows-carlos-spencer-whos-boss-dur1.jpg

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Oh come on, that was a one-off for Bernie. And he only pressed his fist into Los's face. Didn't swing. I agree that you need a level head for 10. You shouldn't have time to worry about anything but what's happening next.

T

TOCC

yes it was rare for him at international level, he got into a few push and shoves in the Super14 as well..

i was just showing that no player is immune from getting into scuffles

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Barnes is the best flyhalf in the nation & by some margin also, he is far more direct than the rest & he's 1st thoughts are to create for others which cannot be said about Cooper, Beale or Giteau.

I see the other 3 flyahlf contenders as elusive ball runners who create space by beating a man, which is handy in super 14 but much harder at test level & usually less effective.

Giteau at 12 & Barnes at 10 for me.

R

rugbywhisperer

disco said:
I think Barnes is the best flyhalf in the nation & by some margin also, he is far more direct than the rest & he's 1st thoughts are to create for others which cannot be said about Cooper, Beale or Giteau.
I see the other 3 flyahlf contenders as elusive ball runners who create space by beating a man, which is handy in super 14 but much harder at test level & usually less effective.
Giteau at 12 & Barnes at 10 for me.

I find it hard to think the powers that ne think otherwise - it seem like the obvious paring.
Maybe if Barnes had not come home we may have seen that combination on tour for the last few games.
It just opens up far more opportunities and room for whoever is at 13 - Morty or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

S

Spook

Noddy said:
Ash said:

Like Larkham v Spencer?

Larkham had won a world cup at that stage ;)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I find it hard to think the powers that ne think otherwise - it seem like the obvious paring.
Maybe if Barnes had not come home we may have seen that combination on tour for the last few games.
It just opens up far more opportunities and room for whoever is at 13 - Morty or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Almost definately. Although we have already seen in this year, when Barnes is meant to be playing 10 and Gits 12. They have swapped around a lot, particularly in the 2nd half of matches.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
TOCC said:
yes it was rare for him at international level, he got into a few push and shoves in the Super14 as well..

Getting into them is one thing - starting them through blatant idiocy and tough guy poser attitude is another.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TOCC said:
NTA said:
TOCC said:

Getting into them is one thing - starting them through blatant idiocy and tough guy poser attitude is another.
what a crock of shit, maybe watch the replay and dont watch it in slow motion..
so his the first Australian player to make a illegal tackle is he?
Tuqiri is getting in this sort of shit all the time for this sort of stuff, not to mention the rest of the forward pack..

if you want to watch a team full of pansies then good on you, but i want players to stick up for what they believe in

Dead right TOCC. I hope that if one of the aptly named Barbarians did say something disparaging about, for example, free speech or racial equality, Cooper really gave it to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.