• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Floods

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
where does the money for the flood levy go to? I don't think it should go to people like me to be honest. People without flood insurance. I've received some money already from the govt, as much to do with me being unemployed and having another bub pre-christmas certainly proved a bonus. But if it the levy is to help rebuild the infrastructure - the city, roads, river cats, etc - then I think its fair enough.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Getting infrustructure back up. More about getting QLD up and running than the individual. The regional areas have some serious issues with the degridation of farmland and the coastal areas having the tourism sector pounded. With all the crap and soil washed out of the river systems one can only imagine the effects on the GBR. With the destruction that Yasi will bring I think it is more important to speed the money up more than ever. Personally I have no problem with the levy as it is in Australias best interest as a whole to get QLD functioning properly again.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would have preferred that the Federal Government would have chopped more expenditure to fund it before introducing a new levy myself. There are projects still going ahead like parts of the NBN and the car subsidy scheme that could have been chopped or delayed.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Isn't the levy too little and too late?

Too little, as it'll raise ~2bn or around 1/5th the cleanup costs
Too late, as it wont kick in until May 2011.

Seems to me the levy is more about looking like they're doing something to manage the cleanup while managing the budget.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Also, it's a levy to repair damage done when a levy broke, does that make it a levy levy?

More importantly, can you drive a chevy to a levy levy while drinking whisky and rye?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Also, it's a levy to repair damage done when a levy broke, does that make it a levy levy?

More importantly, can you drive a chevy to a levy levy while drinking whisky and rye?

ask Cam Shepherd, he is apparently an expert in things like this..

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think the levy levy would probably force you to sell your chevy, then you turn to whiskey and rye to ease the pain.

C

chief

The relief package is now before the parliament. Let's just see how many will cross the floor and support the package. I guess we will find out what is more important, the party or the electorates they are meant to represent.

No Libs will cross the floor. They are Tony Abbott's lap and attack dogs. A levy is a good idea, but I agree, cut the bullshit, Cash for Clunkers, GP Super Clinics, School Computers, I'm sure there's more. Keep on cutting.

Reactions: Ash

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tony Crook(sic?), the somewhat National MP (Moana Pasifika) that's not a National MP (Moana Pasifika), has already crossed the floor. The rest of the rank and file Libs and Nats probably won't. Abbott has to be careful, as he risks alienating a large part of Queensland - they are going to be parochial, and will not like to perceive anyone standing in the way of their rebuilding efforts. Pissing off Qld voters would not be a wise thing for the Libs/Nats, as they had a swing to them there last election.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You could be right Ash, but at the same time, there is a lot of popular anger in Australia about the levy. Whether or not that would translate into votes, I'm not sure.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I am yet to make my mind up about the levy. Parts of Australia do need re-building and money needs to be found. In one sense a levy for these sort of things is not a bad idea. But it needs to be better considered: it shouldn't be a one-off as that just leaves uncertainity about it...when is the next one-off levy coming. Though it is meant for infrastructure it needs to be implemented so that it doesn't adversely affect charities and the propensity for people to donate. It shouldn't be seen as a way of "nationalising" insurance. Probably some beter info about what is happening here.

And a few questions. Part of the rebuild is for the Queensland Rail. This was partially sold off and now a private company. Will it now get government money to get back on track? (sorry about that pun) How is the disjoint between public and private going to be settled here....

The federal government has found money by cutting into some budget items. A perennial bug bear for both parties here. If the government is going to put something into a budget surely it is important enough that it should stay there. I know circumstances change, but is that necessarily an excuse for just cutting something the government had previously thought was wonderful and necessary.... Perhaps if budgets were better structured and with more thought for contingencies they wouldn't need to cut. Or is some of this cutting and re-arranging funds just an acknowledgment that these budget items were crap in the first place.

Also the fact that this government is so hidebound in getting back to surplus in a specific time is ridiculous. Whether they have been fooled into this by Abbot on this is a mute point, but Abbot has not really stood out here - in his response to the floods and cyclone - and with his apparent increasingly more bizarre grasp of economics.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I heard it articulated well on the radio: when you donate voluntarily, you get an altruistic reward in feeling that you're helping people in need. When it's compulsory, it's a tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.