• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sorry mate not intended in that way, feel very much for the poor lad in hospital and hope he gets well as quick as possible. I was intending it in a way that a smaller and younger fella are not always the weakest link and can put on good shots jusr aswell. Mate I would never cheer an injured player.

Very glad to hear, as from all reports, Gunter is a great kid, really well liked by all. And not just the BBC boys, but the blokes he's played in rep sides with as well. And you're right, that's one of the best things about the game we love - The little bloke can be as dynamic as the big fella. A game for all sizes.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I thought I remembered the table going Nudgee, Southport, BBC, GT/Churchie, Ipswich, BSHS, TGS/BGS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I thought I remembered the table going Nudgee, Southport, BBC, GT/Churchie, Ipswich, BSHS, TGS/BGS

I'm afraid not King, tables is as follows:

1. NC 14pts
2. TSS 13pts
3. ACGS 11pts
4. BBC / GT 10pts
6. BSHS 6pts
7. IGS 4pts
8. BGS / TGS 2pts

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
New

Yesterday I was either going to watch St Peters v Ashgrove or BBC v State High. I'm pleased I went to Toowong. And excellent contest and the two teams ran themselves ragged.
Evenly poised at half time with State High up 3 tries to 2. Their fun stopped there with BBC running in four unanswered tries in the second half.
The opening phase of around 20 phases leading to a BBC try was excellent. There were many such phase sets during the match.
BBC 9 and 7 both stand outs. They used their width very well and State High couldn't match them out wide. The 12 and 8 sustained big injuries; ACL and broken sternum. One of their props finished with a broken hand too.
State High were led well around the field by their 10 and 7 was hard on the ball. Shame was State High played the last 10 men with 14 players as they ran short of reserves. Not a good sign during a trial period. Their fitness was questionable too and BBC cut them up easily in the second half.
Bugger all kicking, multiple phase play and nine tries. An excellent game overall.
Corne Uyc, Today at 2:20 PM Report
Congrats on a fair & accurate summary.BBC phase play very impressive.\BBC 7 was my man of match -but a lot of injuries. BBC 2 was on crutches after the match.\BBC looked much fitter.
BSHS 2nd xv were smashed-so depth looks bad.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
Great game. I can't recall any kicking at allWell Done to BBC 16A's they should be proud of them selves. Beating a state high team who had already played a full game in the B's (being nice and giving the BBC B's a game). then running on tired in the A game. Losing players due to 1st XV and injury at Half time (down to 11 players). and the BSHS A's still front up and give BBC a game, and all you can hear from the sideline is parents giving those boys crap. Disgusting display by BBC parents and players they should be ashamed of themselves. As for the First XV game BSHS had their Halfback out and their blindside flanker out two key players. and has anyone said that state high were wining at one stage against a imported team and school throwing countless amounts of dollars at their rugby program

Mr Magic
There is no magic in your post.
Was speaking to a wonderful parent from BSHS who said he had 2 boys in the 1st xv "both on scholarships" and that he used to teach at BBC and it was good to see the improvement in the BBC rugby program after decades in the doldrums(principally because they were the last to import)
You conveniently sidestep the real issue: what the hell is wrong with BSHS rugby when they cannot field more than 2 sides in each age and only ONE under 15 and ONE under 16 team.
It is the same in cricket & rowing & even worse in tennis.
The late great porky Morgan & Wally Lewis stepped in to save BSHS from getting kicked out of the GPS 15 years ago --but the jungle drums are beating again.

The only people at BBC who should be ashamed are the Board who refused to condone importing(other than Cmwth indigenous scholarships) for so bloody long.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
no Te-rupe in the all-star backline?

It was a tough call, 13 just had so many quality options. You can argue Nikau, Lanskey, Bender, Raeli, and Iosefa all deserved to be nominated for that 4th spot

Iosefa, Bender, and Lanskey were all good, but they couldn't lift their teams to win many games despite being individually great performers.

Raeli was good, and played a part for IGS, but wasn't a top 4 player in his position.

Nikau made a strong case for 4, but his decision making when one on one with the fullback was dreadful at times. He bombed quite a few tries by not backing his outside men to finish, which for me personally is a huge turn off.

By all accounts Wilkins was a phenomenonal player with very few flaws in his game, and was the closest to the Magnay/Fittock/Perese trio of superstars there was. For the 4th spot it came down to Wilkins, Lanskey, and Nikau in that order for me

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
what the hell is wrong with BSHS rugby when they cannot field more than 2 sides in each age and only ONE under 15 and ONE under 16 team.
The only people at BBC who should be ashamed are the Board who refused to condone importing(other than Cmwth indigenous scholarships) for so bloody long.

Mate if every schoolboard fully condoned importing like BBC, then it would just be getting out of control. Take your stuff over to the scholarships forum.

With the under 15's, State high in fact do have b's and it was actually an A's trial for them. They beat the ridiculous work of the BBC board 4 tries to nil. Stop going on when you don't know the facts.

On another note, Fraser McReight will be interesting to watch. First year 10 kid to play 1sts in the last few year who actually looks like a year 10 kid

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Mate if every schoolboard fully condoned importing like BBC, then it would just be getting out of control. Take your stuff over to the scholarships forum.

With the under 15's, State high in fact do have b's and it was actually an A's trial for them. They beat the ridiculous work of the BBC board 4 tries to nil. Stop going on when you don't know the facts.

On another note, Fraser McReight will be interesting to watch. First year 10 kid to play 1sts in the last few year who actually looks like a year 10 kid

Mate . That was the score when 15b of BBC. Played 15 A of BSHS .
My nephew was in BBC 15A team and that score was nil all . Get your facts right.
So BSHS will have 9 teams not 8. What a relief for the c and d teams for the other schools.

Nudgee Jackson Tame

Bob McCowan (2)
Surely the numbers will come up when the actual season starts. Maybe the state high students were unaware of the game last week due to block exams. May have caused a lack in communication between the boys, we'll just have to wait and see if this issue is resolved when around come round 1 of GPS rugby.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Mate . That was the score when 15b of BBC. Played 15 A of BSHS .
My nephew was in BBC 15A team and that score was nil all . Get your facts right.
So BSHS will have 9 teams not 8. What a relief for the c and d teams for the other schools.

I also knew that mate.
I was trying to support state high and emphasise that they were playing their a's and not bringing 2 teams.

Scott from Scotland

Bob McCowan (2)
Not going to bother quoting all the posts that this relates to so just go with it.

I am sick and tired of some the elitist attitudes that some people apart of the GPS, yes all schools are guilty of this. I was at BBC fields on Saturday too watch some quality rugby when I overheard what I could only presume to be a BBC mother say something along the lines of "Oh geez look at these state high boys.....Ive heard they can be rather rough. . . . I hope that they don't fight like they usually do. Why are they even in the GPS? I think I might be writing a letter to the GPS about them". Now where does this attitude have any place in our game of rugby or our competition in general. BSHS have produced some fantastic sporting stars something a lot of people forget rather quickly because of their "lesser" status.

As for the whole not fielding multiple teams in all age groups, I'm pretty confident there is
13 A-C
14 A-B maybe a C team not entirely sure. . .
15 A-B
16 A-B ( The poor showing on the weekend was due to the fact the school has a high expectation of the boys academically with the greater majority of the boys that play B's less inclined to put B's rugby ahead of their academics)
and the opens will obviously have their 1st XV and 2nd XV.

Yes BSHS do supply kids with "Sporting Merrits" however with the school reaching maximum capacity with over 2500 students the spaces for the sporting merit kids are being given to the more academically inclined students (not saying rugby boys or any sportsmen/women are not as smart as the next person) so the number of "scholarship" holding rugby players is diminishing each year.

The way the BSHS boys played in the First XV was excellent as was the way in which the BBC boys played. All I can say is I look forward to a great season of rugby!

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
I think tribalism is not limited to any school... in the meantime I'm looking forward to an exciting season and perhaps a broadening in the power base of GPS rugby, with both Ippy (though there is questions on their depth) and BBC looking like they could mount a serious challenge for the title.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from Todays TSS v TGS trial
(Album at https://www.flickr.com/photos/100900132@N02/sets/72157645184014305/ )

14238930499_d90afb6e38_b_d.jpg

14424397574_61e559cd5d_b_d.jpg

14238879390_57a8854b92_b_d.jpg

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
^The TSS jerseys look pretty slick. Any new jersey designs this year?
And will Churchie be once again donning the skin-tight jerseys that they have grown to love?

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

By that, I think you are saying he is the first u15 player from year 10 to be getting a run in a First XV for a while. Most other yr10 players in recent years have been u16. It would be interesting to know last couple of 15 year olds to get a run in any First XV. I can think of some from the 90's but that is ancient history.

Status
Not open for further replies.