• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I understand what you're trying to prove.

At the same time, having both Pone and Taniela there means, you've got two props the same age.

They'll both look to finish their careers roughly the same time, meaning no young tight head will develop down there as they simply don't get game time.

It's great from the Rebels perspective and it'll be interesting in the next round of contracting for their up and coming young stars and how the Rebels will fit everyone under the salary cap.

The Reds should sign Pone... ;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I 'm wondering if the Red's coaching selection panel have Joe Schmidt in their sites.
It appears he will not be in any ongoing role with the AB's after the world cup.
He is the coach that turned Ireland's fortunes around.
Of course he may not want to leave NZ.
Could do much worse but I don't think he wants to take any gig that takes him away from his fam. That was why he came home.

• Wow
Reactions: Ras

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
I imagine they all leave because it is better for them, this is what their manager is meant to do.

I have no inside knowledge and know nobody from the Brisbane Rugby scene but if my 7 year old turns out to be a great footballer I think I would choose NewStar as they seem to design their management practices around setting people up for life, not just getting into a winning team.
Yep agree, if my 35 year old motivates himself off the lounge I would push him to Newstar, Don King or Khoder Nasser. I reckon Newstar understand what each global competition and club value a certain player. Reds prefer to deal with hand selected agents who aren’t demanding market rate for their players.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
It hasn't gotten as much attention as White's contract situation, but it looks like the Brumbies are also struggling to hang onto Slipper with his contract up this year. I'd be very happy to see him back in QLD to round out his career and bolster our scrum.
The preposition of that article seems astounding. If there was a single player I'd have thought would definitely be offered a top up it would be White with Slipper not far behind. They are both in the leadership group after all. Neither are replaceable.

Perhaps a negotiating tactic?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The preposition of that article seems astounding. If there was a single player I'd have thought would definitely be offered a top up it would be White with Slipper not far behind. They are both in the leadership group after all. Neither are replaceable.

Perhaps a negotiating tactic?
I don't believe they're not being offered top-ups only that the top-ups on offer for them are shrinking, particularly compared to their last contracts. Both are into their 30's now (Slipper 33, White 32) and while still excellent players they are coming past the peak earning years of their careers with young and improving contenders having already signed long term deals. The issue is then compounded by the Brumbies list and their lack of wiggle room in the salary cap to make up any of that shortfall, particularly with their own forward planning to consider.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I don't believe they're not being offered top-ups only that the top-ups on offer for them are shrinking, particularly compared to their last contracts. Both are into their 30's now (Slipper 33, White 32) and while still excellent players they are coming past the peak earning years of their careers with young and improving contenders having already signed long term deals. The issue is then compounded by the Brumbies list and their lack of wiggle room in the salary cap to make up any of that shortfall, particularly with their own forward planning to consider.
This is a quote from that article: 'reports on Wednesday suggesting the Brumbies might not be able to meet White's financial demands on a new deal should head office not top up his deal'.

I'd also not believe a top up isn't forthcoming. Our team needs his experience and his balanced style. He has a better technique than Gordon and has a bit of pace and drive to his game, which only Tate otherwise has in Australia frankly.

Slipper also will likely be the most test capped prop ever by the end of this year if he stays fit. You can't buy that in younger players.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is a quote from that article: 'reports on Wednesday suggesting the Brumbies might not be able to meet White's financial demands on a new deal should head office not top up his deal'.

I'd also not believe a top up isn't forthcoming. Our team needs his experience and his balanced style. He has a better technique than Gordon and has a bit of pace and drive to his game, which only Tate otherwise has in Australia frankly.

Slipper also will likely be the most test capped prop ever by the end of this year if he stays fit. You can't buy that in younger players.
Yeah, I saw that, but aside from the fact that it's a rewording of Larkham's position (not RA's) it's a pretty ambiguous statement - "... not top up his deal" could mean no RA top up at all or it could just as easily mean no additional top up of funds beyond what has already been offered. Given Larkham goes on to say the players have ongoing negotiations with RA and it's between the players and RA it seems pretty likely it's the later - if there was no top up at all there wouldn't really be any negotiations left to have.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Any word on whether LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) are looking to return home?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Any word on whether LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) are looking to return home?
I think it was mentioned here that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was scoping out options, but unlikely to be at the Reds - that was pre-Thorn announcement though

Not sure if this is the case, but if ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is doing any component of his med degree over there as part of an exchange program, that could complicate things somewhat for him.

Reactions: Ged

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

At their age, I'd say both White & Slipper would be looking at their options in the overseas market for a nest egg before they pull the plug on their playing days.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
At their age, I'd say both White & Slipper would be looking at their options in the overseas market for a nest egg before they pull the plug on their playing days.
I'd think they both have overseas options, but I understand they both want to continue with the Brumbies at least until the BILT. White has certainly been vocal about his wish to remain on.

EDIT : sorry, not the right thread for this discussion.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Signings and re-signings have started.

This is for confirmed contracts, as much as possible. Let me know if I missed any.

Queensland Reds 2024 coaching staff

TBC – Head Coach
TBC – Assistant Coach (attack)
TBC – Assistant Coach (defense)
TBC – Assistant Coach

Hookers:
Richie Asiata -2024
Josh Nasser - 2024
Matt Faessler - 2025

Props:
Zane Nonggorr - 2024
Sef Fa'agase - 2024

Locks:
Ryan Smith - 2024
Luke Jones - 2025
Angus Blyth - 2025

Backrow:
Liam Wright - 2024
Connor Anderson - 2024
Fraser McReight - 2025
Seru Uru - 2025
Harry Wilson - 2025

Scrumhalf:
Tate McDermott - 2027
Kalani Thomas - 2025

Flyhalf:
Tom Lynagh - 2025
Lawson Creighton - 2024
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips - 2025

Centres:
Josh Flook - 2024
Jordan Petaia - 2024
Frankie Goldsbrough - 2024? (possible Academy)

Wings:

Fullback:
Jock Campbell - 2024

UNSIGNED:

George Blake - 2023
Harry Hoopert - 2023
Dane Zander - 2023
Phransis Sula-Siaosi - 2023
Peni Ravai - 2023
Lopeti Faifau - 2023
Connor Vest - 2023
Wilson Blyth - 2023
Keynan Tauakipulu -???
Spencer Jeans - 2023
James O'Connor - 2023
Hunter Paisami - 2023
Taj Annan - 2023
Isaac Henry - 2023
Filipo Daugunu - 2023
Suliasi Vunivalu - 2023
Mac Grealy - 2023
Floyd Aubrey - 2022

RUMOURED GONE:

CONFIRMED GONE:

Taniela Tupou - Melbourne Rebels
Any new contract signings or word on new coaches.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Any new contract signings or word on new coaches.

I suspect coaching searching / announcement happens until after super rugby season..

probably happens closer towards the end of RWC when a plethora of candidates become available.

im guessing they’ll wait til World Cup and any qld reds tours etc will be led by interim HC Mick Heenan

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting reading Michael Atkinson's article in the Brisbane times regarding the speculation of the Reds interest in Toutai Kefu as Head coach. I have to agree with Atkinson's thoughts, that the Reds can't get caught up in nostalgia and need to find a well credentialed 'Head' coach. Simply surrounding him with highly qualified technical assistants won't work. I love Kefu. He was one of my favourite players and is a great servant to the game, be it coaching Tonga or the U9 Souths team. However, what the Reds need now is a coach who can take the players to the next level. Challenge them and make them better players, as well as bring some smarts to the team. I know coaching options are limited, but I don't believe Kefu is the solution.