• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
lol… why not have a fresh set of eyes? Looks to be working in rugby league with “the horse racing guy”

Whoever got the role would have a wealth of knowledge to lean on with Rugby Australia filled with rugby ppl.

if we keep with the same blinders on/narrow vision we will never pull ourselves out of this mess.
The "horse racing guy" grew up playing and loving rugby league in Wollongong. He has been a well known identity in the sport for ever and of course he has deep experience in other sports. I have not seen any new ideas from him, but he does have a lot of clout and very good connexions.

The question you really need to consider is, who would want our job, other than somebody from a rugby background who loves the sport?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
After watching the Reds trial, my primary concern this year I think is going to be lack of ‘star power’ for lack of a better term in the backline.

Very early days obviously but I feel the Reds are lacking that level head from the bloke who knows it’s time to roll the sleeves up and take things upon himself for a couple of phases when the game gets a bit scrappy. And also knows they can execute that. A couple of hero plays from blokes yesterday showed they lack that awareness, still.

Feels like a lot of the Reds backs are still unsure about their actual position and/or whether they even make the 23. Obviously competition for spots is great, but it’s always nice to have that bloke (or two) who are set in stone and reliable.

Tate probably the closest we have in terms of that player, unfortunately though being halfback he’s at the mercy of a decent forward platform to be influential.

I’ve got Flook pencilled in for the Wallabies this year but yesterday was a good reminder that he’s still young.

Edit: FWIW I feel like Hamish Stewart would be perfect in that role if he were still at the Reds.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
After watching the Reds trial, my primary concern this year I think is going to be lack of ‘star power’ for lack of a better term in the backline.

Very early days obviously but I feel the Reds are lacking that level head from the bloke who knows it’s time to roll the sleeves up and take things upon himself for a couple of phases when the game gets a bit scrappy. And also knows they can execute that. A couple of hero plays from blokes yesterday showed they lack that awareness, still.

Feels like a lot of the Reds backs are still unsure about their actual position and/or whether they even make the 23. Obviously competition for spots is great, but it’s always nice to have that bloke (or two) who are set in stone and reliable.

Tate probably the closest we have in terms of that player, unfortunately though being halfback he’s at the mercy of a decent forward platform to be influential.

I’ve got Flook pencilled in for the Wallabies this year but yesterday was a good reminder that he’s still young.

Watching the players warmum it’s interesting to see that Petaia is the only player with any real bulk in the backline, Vunivalu is a big unit and tall but not in the way that he will carry bodies over the advantage line.

If the Reds then play JOC (James O'Connor) and Paisami in the centres as rumoured, it starts looking like a pretty small backline. Which is fine if they have the style to reflect that, they aren’t going to be crashing through teams and need to use speed and ball movement better. I didn’t really see a whole lot of that in the trial yesterday(especially not with Lawson at 5/8), and if Petaia/Vunivalu are injured then the substitutes are Campbell/Ryan, smaller again.

Edit: i think i heard Annan will be in next week and given a decent amount of time, he might be one to help in this department

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Paisami is going to frustrate me this year again.

I can’t tell if he’s reach his ceiling or simply isn’t good at decision making.

I was pretty impressed when he first came onto the scene as a Diet-Kerevi, he even added a few strings to his bow the following year with a short kicking game and less rush defence. But I haven’t seen enough since then that makes me think he’s a lock to be starting at Super Rugby level.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The "horse racing guy" grew up playing and loving rugby league in Wollongong. He has been a well known identity in the sport for ever and of course he has deep experience in other sports. I have not seen any new ideas from him, but he does have a lot of clout and very good connexions.

The question you really need to consider is, who would want our job, other than somebody from a rugby background who loves the sport?

I agree - who would want the job?? If Phil was the only candidate - then so be it. Just would have assumed there was other candidates but no names really surfaced.

I assumed it was another McLennan captain pick to get someone to tow the company line after Andy Marinos seemed like the only sane guy in RA HQ

also FWIW - I think PVD is going to be a disaster when all is said and done. He currently has a war chest for expansion and player poaching - but I think a NRL team in PNG isnt in best interest of game and I think their 5 year deal with Las Vegas to host double header on opening round will also be a disaster. Think we will look back on those 2 instances and say that money could of been better spent propping up grassroots or building game inside Australia (not outside of it) if the greens / labor alliance get a second term I suspect national crackdown on pokies/sports betting which some RL communities survive on.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
This all seems incredibly irrelevant to Horwill's appointment as a player rep.

yeah my apologies.
I’m having a sook about Rugby Australia. I am on board with Big Kev… my original post a few responses back mentioned Horwill in the same sentence of “jobs for the boys” and fans having the right to speak up about this common practice in our game.
I’ll take my crying over to the rugby Australia thread going forward.. no need to bring the dark clouds over the reds after we’ve recently navigated out of the tough times of years recent.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Watching the players warmum it’s interesting to see that Petaia is the only player with any real bulk in the backline, Vunivalu is a big unit and tall but not in the way that he will carry bodies over the advantage line.

If the Reds then play JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Paisami in the centres as rumoured, it starts looking like a pretty small backline. Which is fine if they have the style to reflect that, they aren’t going to be crashing through teams and need to use speed and ball movement better. I didn’t really see a whole lot of that in the trial yesterday(especially not with Lawson at 5/8), and if Petaia/Vunivalu are injured then the substitutes are Campbell/Ryan, smaller again.

Edit: i think i heard Annan will be in next week and given a decent amount of time, he might be one to help in this department
Isaac Henry seems decent size on the TV. How And probably one of our more skillful backs and seems to run a good line. Whether he is overall good enough to force himself into the starting team remains to be seen. Thoughts on him?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Isaac Henry seems decent size on the TV. How And probably one of our more skillful backs and seems to run a good line. Whether he is overall good enough to force himself into the starting team remains to be seen. Thoughts on him?

he has big wraps every year… the issue is his health.

Last year preseason form indicated he was destined for wallabies bolter status.

I do agree - decent build for the 12 & 13. He’s built for super rugby.

also the other outside centre (Frankie Goldsborough) I think he is currently a brick shithouse and will be a even bigger unit once he sheds the teenager status in a couple years time.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Just can’t see Qld matching it with the top half of the comp
Agreed. The heat and humidity certainly appeared to take its toll and first round trials are rarely pretty but given the amount of pre-season work done I was hoping to see a better performance around the field. The breakdown and ball security is a concern and the lack of attacking flair remains for mine. This week against The Tahs in Roma will be a real test and it will be interesting to see how Les approaches the team selection/s. Lots of work to be done and lots of improvement required to give the fans some hope.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
but given the amount of pre-season work done I was hoping to see a better performance around the field
Without knowing specifics, who's to say the Reds had a heavy load leading up to the Force game knowing this week and next are the last opportunities to cram extras in before it gets too hard during the season?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
he has big wraps every year… the issue is his health.

Last year preseason form indicated he was destined for wallabies bolter status.

I do agree - decent build for the 12 & 13. He’s built for super rugby.

also the other outside centre (Frankie Goldsborough) I think he is currently a brick shithouse and will be a even bigger unit once he sheds the teenager status in a couple years time.
There's been some people on these forums get VERY defensive of Henry. Can only assume some family/friends.

He's a Super Rugby standard player right now but he has 2 guys in front of him who are just better as of right now. There might be a point where he and Hunter are a toss of a coin for the 12 jersey but you have to be fit and available.

Goldsborough is at least 2 years off. School Boy last year right? Play as much footy as possible, try and make the U20s and push on from there. Annan is the other guy who started to show some good signs as he settled into a position.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With Henry it may not be a straight shoot out between him & Paisami. I could see Vunivalu being under pressure to hold his spot with an option being to push Flook to the wing. If that is the case and if O’Connor is still hampered by injury then a centre pairing of Henry & Paisami may happen. Even if it doesn’t happen straight away it may be only two injuries away.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’m leaning towards

10 Lynagh
11 Petaia
12 Paisami
13 Flook
14 Vunivalu
15 Campbell

with O’Connor and Lawson off the bench.
I’d like to think Grealy is next in line because he was excellent for us late last year and is showing real development.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
I’m leaning towards

10 Lynagh
11 Petaia
12 Paisami
13 Flook
14 Vunivalu
15 Campbell

with O’Connor and Lawson off the bench.
I’d like to think Grealy is next in line because he was excellent for us late last year and is showing real development.
I think you are on the money with your comments here BUT would like to see HM-P get some more time this weekend at #10. I liked what I saw last weekend.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They might. Kiss is an experienced coach and it wouldn't surprise me to see him to give Creighton another chance to show his worth.

Sorry if it's been said already but is Lynagh available this week?