• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Big step for HMP to go straight into Reds, would expect Creighton to start as the experienced campaigner (steady but not flashy and unlikely to break a game open) with Lynagh on the bench. There will be injuries in the first few weeks and HMP will get his shot but needs more big boy games under his belt before he gets the keys. As Reg said Lynagh has earned his shot first, was very good at the end.
I disagree. HMP has already played way more first grade games than Lynagh. He's played almost 2 years already for souths prems. Comparing him to Lynagh is apples and oranges. Do you want the 10 who manages the game and kicks well, or do you want the guy that will wins games on his own and is the most exciting prospect out of QLD since Petaia was coming through. Tbh though, would be ideal he waits another year but to say he's not ready and Lynagh was is blasphemy.

Granted, I say this with my souths hat on...

Wilson

David Codey (61)
This is looking more and more likely Reg;

So Lawson to cover 10, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) to cover 12, 13 and 15 with another outside back?
I'd probably only take one of Creighton or O'Connor on the bench. Probably Grealy the other back, but maybe Henry or Annan with Creighton if we're looking for more centre coverage.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is looking more and more likely Reg;

So Lawson to cover 10, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) to cover 12, 13 and 15 with another outside back?

don’t need extra back cover when you have Flook, Campbell and Petaia who cover multiple spots.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I disagree. HMP has already played way more first grade games than Lynagh. He's played almost 2 years already for souths prems. Comparing him to Lynagh is apples and oranges. Do you want the 10 who manages the game and kicks well, or do you want the guy that will wins games on his own and is the most exciting prospect out of QLD since Petaia was coming through. Tbh though, would be ideal he waits another year but to say he's not ready and Lynagh was is blasphemy.

Granted, I say this with my souths hat on...

I believe that last line was pretty much assumed.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
When it comes to these young playmakers, saying that one player should start ahead of another, isn’t always a reflection of potential, it’s equally about preventing players being thrown in too early, and too much pressure applied on them negatively impacting their development.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
When it comes to these young playmakers, saying that one player should start ahead of another, isn’t always a reflection of potential, it’s equally about preventing players being thrown in too early, and too much pressure applied on them negatively impacting their development.
I think it comes down to play style too, Lynagh has the sort of game that can translate really well to professional rugby straight off the bat, particularly his control and kicking game, something most young playmakers struggle with early on. For a guy like McLaughlin-Phillips whose strengths are more in his running game it's important he gets bought up to the pace and size of super rugby in a more measured way.

In saying that I still think we probably played Lynagh too much too soon last year as well, but with a solid year of super rugby under his belt he is in a much better place to play those regular minutes this year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Not a souths guy - so no bias.

I’ve seen what HMP can do.. Tom lynagh on the other hand - only had snippets… whilst Tom goal kicking is impressive there’s been lapses in defense which I think teams will target him.

I hope to see some improvement from him this weekend for the trial because he is a huge unknown in my eyes.

also another huge red flag to me is Tom has had like 1 or 2 starts in premier rugby (after spending all that time playing colts) where Dammers/Morgan threw HMP straight into the hellfire of qpr rugby. I can’t wait to see HMP first super rugby crack. He is going to be a star

Reds Rick

Stan Wickham (3)
Not a souths guy - so no bias.

I’ve seen what HMP can do.. Tom lynagh on the other hand - only had snippets… whilst Tom goal kicking is impressive there’s been lapses in defense which I think teams will target him.

I hope to see some improvement from him this weekend for the trial because he is a huge unknown in my eyes.

also another huge red flag to me is Tom has had like 1 or 2 starts in premier rugby (after spending all that time playing colts) where Dammers/Morgan threw HMP straight into the hellfire of qpr rugby. I can’t wait to see HMP first super rugby crack. He is going to be a star
Whichever way we look at it it’s a great problem to have. Only other thing I’ll add is that based off Les’s comments around wanting an aggressive, progressive style of attack that isn’t afraid to pull the trigger etc, HMP’s style to me best fits this philosophy.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Whichever way we look at it it’s a great problem to have. Only other thing I’ll add is that based off Les’s comments around wanting an aggressive, progressive style of attack that isn’t afraid to pull the trigger etc, HMP’s style to me best fits this philosophy.
Agreed that having that many options is a nice situation for the coach. Whatever way Les chooses to go, I would really like to see those not selected (that includes all squad members) week in /out back playing in QPR. There is no better training paddock than playing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Whats happening with Toomaga-Allen????????
Knee injury, "Looks way worse than it is" according to the man himself:

In summary his knee swelled up badly the night after training when everything was otherwise going well, he originally thought it was season ending when it first happened. Was much better after getting it drained and no surgery required. He talks about a 2-4 week recovery time.

This was the week prior to the media day where he was looking in good spirits and reasonably spry. Should be good around the start of the season on that time frame

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Les has some interesting decisions to make for our first game.

I’m pretty happy with most spots. A couple that I am already thinking differently to what I was thinking before the trials started.

At this stage my preferred team -

Ravai
Faessler
Nonggorr
Smith
Uru
Wright
McReight
Wilson
McDermott
Lynagh
Grealy
Paisami
Flook
Petaia
Campbell

Nasser
Hodgman
Fa’agase
Blyth/Daly
Bryant
Thomas
McLaughlin-Phillips
Vunivalu

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do we have another trial? Probably don’t need one but would be good to get some game time into Blyth, Nasser and Werchon at least.

I thought Josh looked very promising which is good news. I was disappointed in Thomas and thought he delivery was slow. Lynagh mixed. One bad kick early but composed after that.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Les has some interesting decisions to make for our first game.

I’m pretty happy with most spots. A couple that I am already thinking differently to what I was thinking before the trials started.

At this stage my preferred team -

Ravai
Faessler
Nonggorr
Smith
Uru
Wright
McReight
Wilson
McDermott
Lynagh
Grealy
Paisami
Flook
Petaia
Campbell

Nasser
Hodgman
Fa’agase
Blyth/Daly
Bryant
Thomas
McLaughlin-Phillips
Vunivalu
Just about my team too, but I'd probably start Hodgman over Ravai to bolster the scrum from the start, maybe even with Ravai on the tight head side. I expect the tahs will go hard at us there as it was their only advantage last night so of we can lock that down early it'll set us up to take the game away from them.