• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
One thing that stands out abut the Reds squad is the amount of versatility/flexibility in the backrowers and the backline. Can be a blessing or a curse depending on how it's used, but they'll be able to run a 6-2 pretty easily and I suspect they will do it often.
1. Ravai 2. Faessler 3. Nongorr
4. Smith 5. Blyth
6. Wright 7. McReight 8. Wilson
9. Tate
10. Lynagh
11. Vunivalu 12. Paisami 13. Flook 14. Petaia
15. Campbell

16. Nasser
17. Hodgman
18. Fa'agase
19. Daly
20. Uru
21. Thomas
22. HMP
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

Vunivalu is the back most likely to get dropped if he doesn't get some early good games in

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
My other question is whomever misses out from Lynagh or McLaughlin-Phillips, does the other ride the pine. Certainly in the early rounds that is relatively easy - but once club rugby starts would we rather them playing full games at club?

Of course club rugby is our breeding ground.

Play them 80 minutes.

there’s absolutely no need to rest anyone in cotton wool when we are 4 years away from next World Cup and argument can be made these players don’t get enough rugby.

Putmeoncoach

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone remember Grealy being more evasion and faster a few years back? I was hoping he’d burn the fullback and covering defender in his first line break.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
the faith in Lynagh being the starter is odd. Do you have any mail re: preseason form?

he hasn’t done anything relevant in almost 12 months.

I hope nepotism isn’t at play here simply because of his last name - HMP has the runs on the board when it comes to the younger of the 2 prospects showcasing their skills in actual games.
I’d have ..
9 McDermott
10 HM-P
11Flook
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Paisami
14 Petaia
15 Campbell

Not sure that Lynagh would be in as much talk and hype if he wasn’t Michael’s son? He’d be on the bench though. Good goal kicker to have at back end to ice a close game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Plenty of people saying the same thing about Tim Tszyu.

I feel like both of them will prove to be pretty capable in their own right.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Brisbane times has an interview with Vest about his injury and recovery:

I thought Vest was finally finding his feet towards the end of last season and I'm really glad to see him back on the field. I thought shifting from 6 to lock really suited him in particular, requiring a bit less speed and mobility and letting him focus on hard graft. I'm not sure how much game time he'll end up getting this year but it's great to have him fit and ready to go.

I was also really pleased to read that Sam Cane reached out to him, it must mean a lot to be able to talk to a player who has been through something similar and come out the other end.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Question for the room - where does a fit O’Connor fit into the mix at the moment.

I know the easy and logical response is that he comes back via the bench. But there is talk he is now back to being considered a 10. In recent years, when fit, I’d say he has been pretty good in that role. His reading of play, short passing and short kicking game is very good.

Interested in the broader view.
This will be an unpopular view, but I don't know if he is required for the team.

It is unlikely that in 2024 with a new coach we will be competing for a title, best in Oz is something to strive for.

I would be using younger players where possible, if the season is looking like a disaster we know he can step in at pretty much any backline position at the drop of a hat and will be good.

I would have him train and possible assist with coaching and only pick him if a starting 15 player is injured and he would start, this allows the younger bench guys to get a crack each week.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This will be an unpopular view, but I don't know if he is required for the team.

It is unlikely that in 2024 with a new coach we will be competing for a title, best in Oz is something to strive for.

I would be using younger players where possible, if the season is looking like a disaster we know he can step in at pretty much any backline position at the drop of a hat and will be good.

I would have him train and possible assist with coaching and only pick him if a starting 15 player is injured and he would start, this allows the younger bench guys to get a crack each week.

He's a great back up with considerable experience and maturity and the ability to play many positions. He should lock down all the game play and Coaching intentions. He could be fabulous for closing out a game. [If and only if his performance hits the right levels.]

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Do the Reds have a trial this week? I think I heard them say something about internal but they said the same for the Waratahs but I'm pretty sure they are playing a split trial v Shute Shield sides Manly & Warringah.

I ask because I think Lynagh deserves a go at starting at 10. HMP was great on the weekend but the game took a completely different direction in the second half with the score, fatigue, ref change etc. Don't think he got a great chance to show himself.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Do the Reds have a trial this week? I think I heard them say something about internal but they said the same for the Waratahs but I'm pretty sure they are playing a split trial v Shute Shield sides Manly & Warringah.

I ask because I think Lynagh deserves a go at starting at 10. HMP was great on the weekend but the game took a completely different direction in the second half with the score, fatigue, ref change etc. Don't think he got a great chance to show himself.
No one seems quite sure (Liam Wright included), but if there is one it'll likely be closed doors internal. They do have some Reds A/Reds Academy games booked against the clubs, but the first one of those listed is on the 24th.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Agree with this. Even though I’m camp HMP

hard to evaluate a trial when you not getting run with the 1’s.

also with the scoreline the way it was. The reds probably took their foot off the pedal and played a more conservative approach.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
HMP played well at Roma, behind a rampant pack in the first half.
However, Tom Lynagh was the incumbent 10 towards the end of last season which I thought he handled well enough. His defense was his only drawback, but that seems to be a common trait with flyhalves.
I think we'll see Lynagh as the starting 10 with HMP gaining experience in the last quarter of games.
It also would not surprise me to see Louis Werchon coming off the pine for Tate McDermot. He had a cracker of a trial game against the Western Force, whereas Kalani Thomas did not impress so much against the Waratahs in Roma.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Question for the room - where does a fit O’Connor fit into the mix at the moment.

I know the easy and logical response is that he comes back via the bench. But there is talk he is now back to being considered a 10. In recent years, when fit, I’d say he has been pretty good in that role. His reading of play, short passing and short kicking game is very good.

His skills do seem to still work very well at 12 in attack and he has better decision making than Paisami. But he has really lost his speed and gets caught out in defence.

As a bench/depth player he is pretty handy and I personally wouldn’t have an issue with that. What’s the general consensus?

My other question is whomever misses out from Lynagh or McLaughlin-Phillips, does the other ride the pine. Certainly in the early rounds that is relatively easy - but once club rugby starts would we rather them playing full games at club?

I also query the logic of sharing the duties too much. I’m trying to think of a successful team where the playmakers weren’t consistent. Plenty of good teams have a playmaker or two to bring spark from the bench - but I don’t think too many ‘share the role’. And I don’t think chopping and changing does either many favours either. So my thoughts are Kiss makes his decision and then the other one does most of his development in club and on the training paddock while we back the selection to the hilt. If the first picked is really struggling then of course changes should be made, but otherwise we given them time in the saddle.

Interested in the broader view.
Could fill a nice role as a finisher at 12. 60 minutes of Paisami battering the midfield and then putting on JOC (James O'Connor) to pick out passes and control possession might work, especially since working against tired legs hides speed or stamina issues on defense.

Barring injury issues, your point about consistency at 10 feels right. Every flyhalf plays slightly different and requires adjustment from the other backs, minimizing it to a depth chart of two probably makes things easier. Unsure which should be dropped to QPR to be honest, other people here might have a more definite opinion.

Reactions: dru

Putmeoncoach

Allen Oxlade (6)
HMP played well at Roma, behind a rampant pack in the first half.
However, Tom Lynagh was the incumbent 10 towards the end of last season which I thought he handled well enough. His defense was his only drawback, but that seems to be a common trait with flyhalves.
I think we'll see Lynagh as the starting 10 with HMP gaining experience in the last quarter of games.
It also would not surprise me to see Louis Werchon coming off the pine for Tate McDermot. He had a cracker of a trial game against the Western Force, whereas Kalani Thomas did not impress so much against the Waratahs in Roma.
I believe Werchon’s sister had a wedding or something similar.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I guess if you don’t want to play Tateyfor80 than bringing his clone on at the 60 minute mark isn’t a bad second option

Reactions: dru

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Interview with Les Kiss from Pick and Drive:

Really impressed with Les Kiss every time I hear him speak.
Highlights for me:
- New facilities mean they can integrate the academy training into the main squad a lot more, helping bring those guys through
- "Open door" for club and school coaches to visit and watch training, take part in coaching sessions, etc.
- Seems pretty honest and clear eyed about where the team is out - specifically mentions the breakdown not being good enough against the Force and how important it is to get right against the Kiwis
- Not entirely convinced with his answer around discipline, but it's good to hear they're very focused on body height at the tackle and integrating general metrics around penalties into the training

Feels like his relatively early arrival and the challenger series/Saitama game are going to a be a huge benefit to hitting the ground running this season.

Reds Rick

Stan Wickham (3)
Interview with Les Kiss from Pick and Drive:

Really impressed with Les Kiss every time I hear him speak.
Highlights for me:
- New facilities mean they can integrate the academy training into the main squad a lot more, helping bring those guys through
- "Open door" for club and school coaches to visit and watch training, take part in coaching sessions, etc.
- Seems pretty honest and clear eyed about where the team is out - specifically mentions the breakdown not being good enough against the Force and how important it is to get right against the Kiwis
- Not entirely convinced with his answer around discipline, but it's good to hear they're very focused on body height at the tackle and integrating general metrics around penalties into the training

Feels like his relatively early arrival and the challenger series/Saitama game are going to a be a huge benefit to hitting the ground running this season.
Listened to that as well, was a good podcast. Based off his comments and the trial games so far does anyone else get the sense he is implementing an Irish sort of style? Ie high possession with ruck and running fitness proficiency to support it, ambition to get the ball into space and emphasis of skill over power etc

Reactions: Ged

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Reds profit result. $450k EBITDA.
Not as good as the previous year, but a very solid result given Ballymore didn't re-open until the end of the financial year. I also wonder what effect taking two games to Townsville had in the end, though the State Government may have kicked in enough there to make up the difference. Look forward to seeing the full annual report.