• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well the women finish the season with a win finally. But it’s arguable they deserved it. I think I forcast concerns about their pack and that proved true. We were pretty terrible upfront all season. Missing Parry big time plus Codey and Cheetham. Backs looked good at times but the whole team looked off. Like they just weren’t connected as a team.

Some really exciting young talent though. Hopefully more to come. particularly in the pack.
I assume that they are unlikely to be able to retain Sauaso, which is an enormous shame.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting.. are they playing 2 games against Bristol, or 1 against Bristol and another TBC?
Also is it really the first tour in 35 years? I'm scratching the back of my brain here but didn't the Reds tour Ireland back around 2009.

On a separate note, Hodgman and Fa'agase should be due back for Moana Pasifika correct?
I believe Fa’agase has one more game suspension. Haven’t heard an update on Hodgman.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It seems strange to just put aside the 2008 tour, though. Is there a reason they're excluding that tour or did they just forget?

I exchanged messages with Phil Mooney overnight who was coach of the 2008 team. He confirmed it was a deemed a development squad that was taken over. Perhaps that’s why.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The Reds are an example to the rest of the Super Rugby AUs team... Doing things right!

In the meantime, the Tahs will Play "half a trial game against Shute Shield club late Feb"
You're correct about "Doing things right". Reds have built a means to support this endeavour.

NSW do not right now and if they did it, it would be at the cost of something else which isn't acceptable in the current situation.

I also imagine Les has plenty of contacts throughout the UK/Ireland to give to QLD admin to tee up.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
You're correct about "Doing things right". Reds have built a means to support this endeavour.

NSW do not right now and if they did it, it would be at the cost of something else which isn't acceptable in the current situation.

I also imagine Les has plenty of contacts throughout the UK/Ireland to give to QLD admin to tee up.
They've been making these moves well before Les Kiss though, with the challenge series and Saitama games. Reds look to be doing it above and beyond the others right now but the Force, Rebels and Brumbies have also been doing plenty.

For whatever reason the tahs are well behind the 8 ball on extra-competition games, and it probably goes back as far as their failure to engage with the NRC.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Bloody awesome to see, fantastic for the younger members of the squad to get extra high level games under the belt in a tour environment.

Are we still doing the games against the Japanese teams? Would be great to see them play two games or so in Japan then jump over to the UK.
I can't see any reason they would end. Christmas/new year makes it a bit difficult to flow straight through though.

Looks like the calendar will be Challenger series September/October, Saitama game October/November, break for Christmas/New Year and then UK tour late January to kick off the pre-season. Means the challenger series and Saitama game are opportunities for club players to put their hand up for the next year and then the touring squad is as close as possible to the squad for the season of Super rugby coming.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I assume that they are unlikely to be able to retain Sauaso, which is an enormous shame.

Yep. Likely. She’s missing this week to play a league comp with mates. No issues from me of course. But I can’t see how we keep her. She’ll kill it in league.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Might not be workable until they're full time pros, but hopefully there's a plan for the women's side to tour alongside the men in the future. They're even more in need of the extra game time.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)

And to their credit, they hired a coach with actual experience who has connections and has coached at the top level, not someone who deserves a "crack" because he "could be" a good coach - Insert DC here at the Tahs.

I know it may seem like not much to some, but growing the brand internationally like that is gold, building meaningful relationships with OS teams in Japan and Europe.

Playing Shute Shield sides is ok, but ads no exposure other than your existing fans

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A half dozen Reds players heading to Marist Ashgrove this weekend to assist with their all ages ‘rugby camp’ which has been organised by rugby director Richard Graham. I’ve heard a couple of high profile rugby old boys also running some sessions.

The camp will be followed by Marist v Nudgee trials for 1sts and 2nds.

Has been mentioned by others but it’s good to see the schools getting some positive rugby exposure lately and having some current and legend players involved.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

This hopefully benefits the Jube as I feel like it needs some life. Since the big renovation it is a nice space, but seems very empty most of the time.

The Jube has always had an association with rugby, I’ve been to many Mad Mondays as part of GPS at the venue and we had to alternate years with Brothers for a time.

I find it interesting in the article they make mention about the venue being so close to Ballymore (still not exactly convenient to get between the two). Maybe hinting at some more back to Ballymore games from next year? The Jube doesn’t exactly scream pre or post match beers when you’re going to a game at Suncorp and have Caxton St handy.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
This hopefully benefits the Jube as I feel like it needs some life. Since the big renovation it is a nice space, but seems very empty most of the time.

The Jube has always had an association with rugby, I’ve been to many Mad Mondays as part of GPS at the venue and we had to alternate years with Brothers for a time.

I find it interesting in the article they make mention about the venue being so close to Ballymore (still not exactly convenient to get between the two). Maybe hinting at some more back to Ballymore games from next year? The Jube doesn’t exactly scream pre or post match beers when you’re going to a game at Suncorp and have Caxton St handy.
It's a very cool venue, the problem is that it's in a business oriented part of the valley that gets very little foot traffic outside of 9-5 M-F.

Saint Paul's Terrace has one or two nearby spaces where restaurants only last a couple months because they think they'll benefit from being close to the centre of the valley without realizing no one really turns the corner and goes past Netherworld after 5 pm unless it's specifically to go to that one rooftop bar Soko.

Some of it is due to the way roads and pedestrian crossings are laid out, some of it is due to the presence of some interesting characters from the nearby short stay hotels, and some of it just down to the main Valley strip being in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Also doesn't help they aren't actually showing any rugby.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's a very cool venue, the problem is that it's in a business oriented part of the valley that gets very little foot traffic outside of 9-5 M-F.

Saint Paul's Terrace has one or two nearby spaces where restaurants only last a couple months because they think they'll benefit from being close to the centre of the valley without realizing no one really turns the corner and goes past Netherworld after 5 pm unless it's specifically to go to that one rooftop bar Soko.

Some of it is due to the way roads and pedestrian crossings are laid out, some of it is due to the presence of some interesting characters from the nearby short stay hotels, and some of it just down to the main Valley strip being in the opposite direction.

Agree - it’s very much a destination part of Brisbane, as in you have to intentionally be heading there. Not many just stumble down to the Jube on a night out on a whim.