• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Very good dinner tonight I attended with Kiss, Wright and Ryan Smith talking on a panel.

Kiss especially was engaging as a speaker and motivator, made me want to run out this weekend. I’ve seen his emotion on some videos in the sheds and I definitely feel where that comes from.

A couple of interesting points

- made reference to wanting to make the blues v reds a recurring ANZAC game
- said the side this weekend against the Blues might surprise a few people (could be foxing)
- big emphasis on the end of year tour and generally wanting to engage in more rugby experience rich elements
- may have been misinterpreted but made reference to a second international game aside from Wales later this year

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Only issue I have with the next generation coming through Reg is, they're still built like boys coming up against Orcs. That goes for Taj, Tim and Flloyd. We're very light (both depth and weight) in the backs with Henry, Petaia, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Flook all out.
I guess this is the time to see if you can handle it. He's been floating around now for a while and he might get given a shot to show his worth long term.

I guess this might hush and interest from the Dragons. They don't need or want an always busted outside back. Especially after their Ronald Volkman debacle in the offseason and not doing their medical due diligence.

I thought Annan started to look pretty good in the 12 last year. Keep it simple and run hard.

Once again, love to see a loan system to support our Aus teams. I'm sure the Reds would at least suss out Wilson or Tuipulotu who are running around in Shute Shield every week now.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Once again, love to see a loan system to support our Aus teams. I'm sure the Reds would at least suss out Wilson or Tuipulotu who are running around in Shute Shield every week now.

I have watched a bit of Shute shield this year and it looks like a step down from QPR.

QPR seems to be played at more of a speed similar to Super rugby.

No thanks on the Waratahs rejects who are not good enough to make that bottom cellar dweller franchise… I’ll take my chances with the grassroot cattle up in here in QLD

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't think a loan system that would see Tuipuloto or Wilson come up to the Reds in a season where they have both started for the tahs is ever going to be possible. There was a bit of that during covid but I believe it was in season transfer rather than just a loan. There's some talk Wilson is looking to move on from the tahs though, he could always come home more permanently, where they already chant his name on the regular.

That's not to say I'm against a loan system, I think it would be a good addition to the landscape, it's just that anyone that gets up is more likely to involve EPS/WTS/Academy players being loaned, not full squad members. There's a whole lot that needs to change about our squads and how they're structured alongside it though, and I'm not sure that will come until there's more consistent rugby on the calendar for the super sides.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I agree and they were just 2 that came to mind as being valuable to a side who needs to keep winning to stay in finals and an academy player doesn't improve the situation. They are 2 that the Tahs may so no as they could be an injury away from starting them.

he could always come home more permanently, where they already chant his name on the regular.
He's ours now. Born in Sydney and schooled here. Dad looks mighty fine the Tahs cap as well... in the crowd these days. Interested to see where he ends up as he seems on the outer with Walton performing and Harrison seeming to come back well. He's a useful utility who reminds me of Jono Lance. Won't let you down.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
As a Wests man UTR, I would hate for Eloff to be sent over the Nullarbor and not play for the Dogs!
Hhaha of course! Would love to see him in Red also, but yeh just trying to be realistic. Priority is to keep him, gibbon, Kailea and Talakai (less so Thor - save the money and select for wallabies) in Super rugby. They are scrummaging really well, that fringe wallaby journeyman level which we tend to lose on masse which crushes our depth. Every team except the Brumbies is 'propped' up by foreign imports to fill the gaps (Ravai & HTS on the LH, and Medrano & JTA on the TH).

JTA & HTS are 2 year deals, but Ravai and Medrano are just 1, so opportunity there for strong replacements IF the rebels fold, and IF that is known and can be acted upon before the rebels players jump ship for self preservation

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think a loan system that would see Tuipuloto or Wilson come up to the Reds in a season where they have both started for the tahs is ever going to be possible. There was a bit of that during covid but I believe it was in season transfer rather than just a loan. There's some talk Wilson is looking to move on from the tahs though, he could always come home more permanently, where they already chant his name on the regular.

That's not to say I'm against a loan system, I think it would be a good addition to the landscape, it's just that anyone that gets up is more likely to involve EPS/WTS/Academy players being loaned, not full squad members. There's a whole lot that needs to change about our squads and how they're structured alongside it though, and I'm not sure that will come until there's more consistent rugby on the calendar for the super sides.
Last time I remember a loan system was Ben Whittaker and Nathan Charles going to the Force due to an injury crisis at hooker.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting interview with Werchon and an insight into Thorn's coaching, been dropped by Thorn for arriving 3 minutes late. Sounds like a hard lesson; but also admits he has changed his approach to rugby since that happened.
“Named to make his debut off the bench, Werchon's Mazda ute - complete with a plastic crown melted to the dashboard and The Goat number plate - was stuck in traffic.

He was three minutes late, renowned disciplinarian coach Brad Thorn pulling him aside at the captain's run soon after to tell him he'd been dropped.

"Thorny just said, 'not good enough, really', and told me to go to the gym," Werchon told AAP ahead of Saturday's clash with the red-hot Blues at Suncorp Stadium.

"The meeting hadn't even started ... it (to be dropped) was pretty brutal and I definitely thought it was a bit unfair.

"Now I'm not taking any chances. "I'm pretty sure I was two hours early all of last week.”

It's not all talk. Werchon was five minutes early for this interview and says his entire approach to football has changed as a result of that tardy morning.

"I've worked a lot harder and I'm taking my footy more seriously this year," he said.

"I still try and enjoy it as much as possible but have taken a step forward with my diet, my prep, recovery ... but I'd never cut my hair (to conform)."

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Interesting interview with Werchon and an insight into Thorn's coaching, been dropped by Thorn for arriving 3 minutes late. Sounds like a hard lesson; but also admits he has changed his approach to rugby since that happened.

I think that's probably I great example of why Thorn was great for the guys in their early twenties just starting out but started to wear on the older players.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’m not even so sure it was an age thing but also a longevity factor, which is kind of the same thing because players aged with Thorn.

Thorn was involved with a lot of the squad for a very long time. Player coach of QLD country NRC which fed a lot of good players to the Reds, Reds fitness coach and then head coach. It’s a long time to have the same voice telling you what to do, particularly someone with a fairly regimented mindset.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Credit to the Stan Sports guys for the ‘on the road’ show yesterday, the segments were good but I feel like they were pushing shit uphill at the Jubilee hotel.

Being there it wasn’t exactly a great crowd and the audio was horrible. Just watched the TV version and it audio was also pretty rough.

I’m a bit concerned about how much traction “The Jube” is going to get as official Reds HQ.

Edit: I should note my comments around audio are based around the Jube itself, I’ve found the acoustics pretty shitty there no matter what since the reno, definitely made filming a live audience show with regular patrons floating around hard I’m sure.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Credit to the Stan Sports guys for the ‘on the road’ show yesterday, the segments were good but I feel like they were pushing shit uphill at the Jubilee hotel.

Being there it wasn’t exactly a great crowd and the audio was horrible. Just watched the TV version and it audio was also pretty rough.

I’m a bit concerned about how much traction “The Jube” is going to get as official Reds HQ.

Edit: I should note my comments around audio are based around the Jube itself, I’ve found the acoustics pretty shitty there no matter what since the reno, definitely made filming a live audience show with regular patrons floating around hard I’m sure.
It almost sounds like they've recorded audio from the room, as opposed to direct feeds from the mics - would be pretty surprising if that is the case.

Also pleased to see the Anzac jersey looks better in natural lighting than it does in the studio pics.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I was thinking about this overnight. At what point do we cut our losses with him? Last nights loss can’t be placed solely at his feet - there were a few moments in that last 10 minutes where we lost our bundle - but Vunivalu’s positional and match awareness is as bad as when he first joined the Reds. I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt for a long time as I’ve seen him do feats of athletic freakishness out there, but the fundamentals of the game remain lost to him. Sotutu doesn’t waltz halfway up the field if anyone else is on that wing.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
I was thinking about this overnight. At what point do we cut our losses with him? Last nights loss can’t be placed solely at his feet - there were a few moments in that last 10 minutes where we lost our bundle - but Vunivalu’s positional and match awareness is as bad as when he first joined the Reds. I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt for a long time as I’ve seen him do feats of athletic freakishness out there, but the fundamentals of the game remain lost to him. Sotutu doesn’t waltz halfway up the field if anyone else is on that wing.
Yeah Kiss seems like a smart and reasonable coach so it must be something we're not privy to. It feels like Vunivalu is perpetually 2 steps behind unless the ball is in his hand and he's running at the opposition.

Directive from RA? Vunivalu looking like a monster in training when the cognitive load is lower and guys are only going 90% instead of full game speed? Sunk cost fallacy given his price tag? A prophecy delivered by an oracle in the forgotten catacombs of Myer Centre?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m interested how they are using him. He seems to spend a lot of time cleaning out and working in tight with the forwards. On the flip side how rarely do we see him on the end of a passing movement of the type that Ryan last night and Grealy regularly receive the ball from. I would’ve thought that would be bread and butter for such a powerful ball runner. And that’s not all on him. We’ve seen plenty of sweeping attacking movements where he plays the part of decoy or distributor and he’s played his role. But I recall very few when he is given space to take the defence on one on one.

There is obviously a reason for it, but I’m a bit lost on it.

But agree with much of the above He is getting caught in defence too much and dropping off too many tackles for my liking.

On the flip side gee Paisami has come on this year. Has really improved his game. Every part of it.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I think the Reds coaches feel they need some size in an otherwise very small backline, especially with no Petaia, so they pick Vunivalu. He isn't actually giving the backline any decent size given he only ever uses it in the pick and roll other than when he caught that amazing high ball but then he can't complete the score so it's worth zilch. So many almost amazing tries since we signed him.

Maybe he would have been a great 8 but that's not the way it happened and so we are carrying him at wing. I also think he should be dropped indefinitely at this point. He is just such a physical freak but it comes to nought so it shouldn't be valued for us. Perhaps they tell him he won't play again and invite him to explore options to free up space. Maybe it would change the way teams are playing against us if they don't see a big body but I think our backline is tough enough to see out the rest of this season without him.

We miss Daugunu.