• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Schools Rugby Merger Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
confirmed

understand GT are playing St Kevins from Melbourne in a friendly next week - might be a chance for a win there

i wouldn't be so sure, word from melbourne is that st kevin's is the team to beat down there this year.

then again, it is melbourne, they're too busy wasting their time on aussie rules

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
i wouldn't be so sure, word from melbourne is that st kevin's is the team to beat down there this year.

then again, it is melbourne, they're too busy wasting their time on aussie rules

I'd chance a guess that a few St.Kevs kids would be with the Vic U16/18 teams and a few would be away on holidays we well.

I'm sure the touring side will be under strength as well but I don't think you'd get much of a gauge of who is better, but a hit out is a hit out.

G

gecko

It's always funny when a few things go bad for a school or schools all these ideas come out.

Certainly a creative idea, but will not happen for a myriad of reasons, most described in post #2 with age groups changing each year.

The structure is clearly based on this year alone. Two years ago BGS would have struggled in the third tier. Last year GT came 4th in GPS and historically, as in last 4-5 years, have had the wood on BGS, BBC, TGS, IGS, heck even ACGS have probably lost as many as the won to GT over last 6 years. So if we started this for the 2010 season BGS and BBC would have to be in div 2 with GT in 1, or for 2011 ACGS, BBC, IGS would all be in division 2 before GT. There is too much variability.

Then if you look at the AIC schools, there is definite improvement and the NC/Marist games of late 90s were some rippers, but realistically when was the last time an AIC team beat a GPS team? Example using GPS easybeats GT. Marist haven't beat GT since 1993, not winning any of the past four games since 2006.

Not sure where you got that Ashgrove hasn't beaten GT since 93 but it isn't correct. I had a quick look through old year books. 1997 trials undefeated 171 points scored 29 against in trials vs DL, TGS, GT, IGS and ACGS. 98 undefeated 104-15 vs DL, TGS, IGS, GT. 99 undefeated 75-36 vs NC, TGS, IGS, GT.

I'm not aware of most of the trial results this year but wins are still a regular occurrence.

Knockers
This season TGS beat Ash 13-12. That makes the last decade a dismal 2-8 record for TGS in trials vs Ash. That'd be like saying the All blacks aren't up to the standard of the Wallabies after they lost the HongKong test.

Silverback,
I'm not seeing any decline in school rugby. For most of these schools rugby is the most defining sport culturally. Mummy not wanting little Billy to play rugby only goes so far. Little Billy when he hits his teenage years has other priorities.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
This season TGS beat Ash 13-12. That makes the last decade a dismal 2-8 record for TGS in trials vs Ash. That'd be like saying the All blacks aren't up to the standard of the Wallabies after they lost the HongKong test.

Not saying that they are going well this year because they aren't. Just pointing out that they have new talents coming in and are on the improve.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Not sure where you got that Ashgrove hasn't beaten GT since 93 but it isn't correct. I had a quick look through old year books. 1997 trials undefeated 171 points scored 29 against in trials vs DL, TGS, GT, IGS and ACGS. 98 undefeated 104-15 vs DL, TGS, IGS, GT. 99 undefeated 75-36 vs NC, TGS, IGS, GT.

I'm not aware of most of the trial results this year but wins are still a regular occurrence. .

Yep - Lauries have regularly beaten both BBC and GT over the past few years as a guide

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Regularly? have you got years & scores?

Sorry - as these were trials, no scores recorded. I was there in 2008, 2009 and 2010, when Lauries beat BBC and in 2008 and 2011 when they beat GT. Lauries also play BGS in trials and won in 2008 but not sure on other years.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
That is why this idea makes sense as many higher AIC teams would be able to beat lower GPS teams. And also Downlands needs to be in a competition as they can beat most of AIC and a few GPS schools.

P

philhood

RugbyInterest, Must have being lonely in the stands - Lauries did not play GT in 2011. Not too much can be read into trials -they are just that trials.
Much has being said about Downlands. Whilst Downlands has a strong rugby cuture (established by John Elders in the 80s & continued to this day) this doesn't always convert to success. Downlands is a small school in comparison with GPS schools & lacks the depth. They might be found wanting over 12 weeks (including trials) of competitive rugby.. Also many of their victories or near losses might be overshadowed by the fact that GPS schools rest key players in the GPS bye when they play Downlands. Perhaps Downlands should be in the AIC comp.

D

Doc

Sorry - as these were trials, no scores recorded. I was there in 2008, 2009 and 2010, when Lauries beat BBC and in 2008 and 2011 when they beat GT. Lauries also play BGS in trials and won in 2008 but not sure on other years.

You need to lay off what ever you are on RI, Terrace did not play SLC in 2011 and beat them in 2008.

Apparently they do keep score in the trials. You can't just make stuff up, esp when it takes about 5 seconds to check.

2005 27-0 GT
2006 More than 60 to 1 try GT
2007 10-7 SLC
2008 24-12 GT
2009 20-10 SLC
2010 20-5 GT

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Lauries did beat BGS in 2008. But BGS did play Iona and Villanova in trials this year. Beat Villa about 66-7 and Iona about 70-0

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
I think we are getting a little off topic in this thread. The purpose of this thread was to discuss a joint 1st XV competition not to try and say one school is better than another. Please also give suggestions on a new format. Remember this a fantasy thread and will never, ever actually come into existance (unfortunately.)

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
1. Schools are for education, not rugby. How many principal's would agree to the extra training and games on top of a senior student's workload?
2. The GPS schools would still win, just they'd have to trounce a few AIC teams to prove it. Great.

Firstly I'm pretty sure a lot of dad's send their schools not only for Education but for the Rugby culture as well. Just look at Nudgee, Marist, Terrace, Churchie, BBC, etc. These schools have strong Rugby cultures and this part of the reason parents send their kids there. And even if GPS schools would still win the quality of Rugby at these lower schools would improve due to the fact that to play in a high quality rugby competition players from SPC or Padua wouldn't have to leave and go to Nudgee and BBC and as such.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
RugbyInterest, Must have being lonely in the stands - Lauries did not play GT in 2011. Not too much can be read into trials -they are just that trials.
Much has being said about Downlands. Whilst Downlands has a strong rugby cuture (established by John Elders in the 80s & continued to this day) this doesn't always convert to success. Downlands is a small school in comparison with GPS schools & lacks the depth. They might be found wanting over 12 weeks (including trials) of competitive rugby.. Also many of their victories or near losses might be overshadowed by the fact that GPS schools rest key players in the GPS bye when they play Downlands. Perhaps Downlands should be in the AIC comp.

Sorry my error it was in 2007 and 2009 - all I meant was that these were non competition games where scores did not really matter and therefore I couldn't recall exact scores and the years as well obviously!! - I must be getting old

Agree that Downlands would be a good fit in AIC which would be a better measure of their rugby prowess

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
It will never ever happen regardless of all the speculation, all the poncho's in the gps will be very determined not to let anyone in because it will decrease their enrollments. i.e. downlands would be equal with toowoomba grammar, st peters equal with bbc, lauries equal with terrace etc etc. SO the GPS association just won't let them do it...

oldcoach

Frank Row (1)
Downlands & AIC

Downlands were invited to join AIC when it was formed in 1998 - ish. I believe they declined because they would have to field teams in all 9 sports and the "perceived" prestige of playing GPS schools. My personal view is that this was a very poor decision as the regular real competition would have been great for both Downlands and AIC. Also I don't see much "prestige" in playing GPS 1st XVs when they rest half their regular team (or more).

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
It will never ever happen regardless of all the speculation, all the poncho's in the gps will be very determined not to let anyone in because it will decrease their enrollments. i.e. downlands would be equal with toowoomba grammar, st peters equal with bbc, lauries equal with terrace etc etc. SO the GPS association just won't let them do it...

Enrolments will never be equal just because of the sporting competition they're in. I'm not so sure about TGS, but BBC and GT both vastly outperform both of those schools academically each year.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
BBC never used to be such an academically good school, st peters used to do better than they are now... then after some shocking results the school put the afterburners on and is right up there with grammar etc. , it's all dependant on the qcs (a few years back a whole lot of people abcd'd the test and it pulls everyone down, but it works the other way - my older brother got an op 2 last year and did no work, brilliant qcs score from the school dragged him up. but we can talk the op system elsewhere),the point is results change and the schools will never want to lose that edge they have over other schools in sporting offered.

T

The Chainsaw

Who cares - these are just a bunch of kids playing average Rugby and the majority will not continue playing Rugby. Schoolboy Rugby is overrated:puke:

Status
Not open for further replies.