• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland XV v Canada - August 30 at Ballymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
QRU have announced that a "Queensland XV" will play against Canada on Tuesday night at Ballymore.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/4269/Default.aspx

A representative Queensland XV will give Canada one final hitout ahead of their Rugby World Cup campaign when the two clash in an opposed training session at Ballymore on Tuesday night from 6:00pm.

Canada is currently putting the finishing touches on their preparations for the World Cup and will compete in the opposed session just four days after their encounter with the Australian Barbarians at Skilled Park last night.

The Queensland XV will be headed by Strategic Airlines Queensland Premier Rugby coaches Pat Richards (Easts) and Matt Pini (GPS) and will include available 2012 St.George Queensland Reds squad members, QAS Reds Academy representatives and select Premier Rugby standouts.

A full squad list will be made available on Monday following the weekend representative and Premier Rugby encounters.

The session will be played in quarters over 80 minutes and will be the final appearance made by the Canadians before they travel to New Zealand for the commencement of the World Cup on September 9.

Entry to the session is free for the general public while limited parking is available.

Reds coach Ewen McKenzie said the affair would be a good opportunity for players and coaches to test themselves against an international opponent while also being a quality tune-up for the Canadians heading into Rugby’s biggest stage.

“The timing is difficult for the clubs but we appreciate their cooperation with the scheduling with the hitout a good opportunity to assess players in a different environment,” McKenzie said.

“It will be a difficult challenge for the players and coaches with Canada eager to put on a quality showing before the World Cup but it’s one they have embraced at short notice.”

Canada, who are part of Pool A alongside World Cup hosts New Zealand, France, Japan and Tonga, begin their World Cup campaign on September 14 against the Tongans.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
It's a game of Quaters. Because the IRB hasn't allowed Canada anymore official warm-up games ( or something along those lines).

Grasso (Souths), Mitch Felsman and Rota Setu are all in the backline from memory from who told me. I suspect alot of players would reject the offer though, similar to what happened in the City vs Country games

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Yeah not sure if it's exactly the best forum to push for higher honours - and you're likely to get belted in the process

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Yeah not sure if it's exactly the best forum to push for higher honours - and you're likely to get belted in the process

Don't like the sentiment here, and think it's a bit of a blight of the professional era. Rugby, at its heart, is still a game of mates going out and enjoying themselves. It was one of the reasons it held out so long as an amateur game. Every player I know (admittedly, we're talking club level with no hope in hell of higher honours) would still jump at the chance to go and play an international side - even if it had no bearing on promotion, or meant getting belted. It's why we love the game.

T

TOCC

I know a lot of first choice players who jumped at the chance to represent City in the City v Country match... this i imagine will be no different
no place for Prima Donnas who think they are above a representative game, its those sort of games reputations are built on.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Sorry, what I meant was, if you've already agreed to play for your club and that is who your commitment is to why do you put that in danger just so another country can have their blokes run at you for target practice? It's an opposed training sessions for the Canadians.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Sorry, what I meant was, if you've already agreed to play for your club and that is who your commitment is to why do you put that in danger just so another country can have their blokes run at you for target practice? It's an opposed training sessions for the Canadians.

So you can push for higher honours. The QRU obviously want to have a closer look at a few players.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
It's being called an "opposed training run" because the IRB stipulate that World Cup players can't play a game within a certain window before the World Cup. So for Canada to be able to have a run and finalize their squad, it has to be an "opposed training run" with a referee, 2 touch judges etc

And just an aside for those wondering: the Barbarians game was called a Barbarians game instead of an Aus A game because Aus A games attract much higher match payments for players involved. And also extra logistical support to go with it (eg camps with physios available at all times, extra medical staff on standby at the game etc). Barbarians is a neat little sidestep- the players were still looked after, just not to Aus A standards.

T

TOCC

Jake Shatz to captain the side

Queensland XV Squad

1. JP Smith (GPS)
2. Andrew Coady (Brothers)
3. Albert Anae (Sunnybank)
4. David McDuling (Uni)
5. Tim Buchanan (Uni)
6. Jarrad Butler (Gold Coast)
7. Jono Ellis (GPS)
8. Jake Schatz (c) (Sunnybank)
9. Nigel Genia (Wests)
10. Dallan Murphy (Brothers)
11. Dom Shipperley (Brothers)
12. Nathaniel Gendle (Brothers)
13. Con Foley (Uni)
14. Stephanus Van Der Walt (Stingrays)
15. Mitch Felsman (Brothers)

Reserves

Prop - Jack Kimmince (Gold Coast)
Prop - David Faeo (Souths)
Hooker - Mitch Wade (Uni)
Lock - Marius Botha (Souths)
Backrow – Mitch King (Stingrays)
Halfback - Luke Evans (Gold Coast)
Flyhalf - Cayden Matahaere (Gold Coast)
Centre - Fred Tuua (Norths)
Outside back - Rex Tapuai (Sunnybank)
Outside back - Rota Setu (Sunnybank)
Outside back - Dylan Simpson (Gold Coast)

T

tranquility

Hell yeah, some good prospects in that team and I mean apart from ones in the academy.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'm guessing there's no way this is going to be televised down in melbourne...........
anyone going keen to give a synopsis of it all?

I was very impressed with your outside centre Van Der Something. Sorry i have forgotten his name. Canada must move him closer to the action. I don't know if he is a 10 but definitely should be at 12 from what i saw against the Baa Baa's.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
It's being called an "opposed training run" because the IRB stipulate that World Cup players can't play a game within a certain window before the World Cup. So for Canada to be able to have a run and finalize their squad, it has to be an "opposed training run" with a referee, 2 touch judges etc

And just an aside for those wondering: the Barbarians game was called a Barbarians game instead of an Aus A game because Aus A games attract much higher match payments for players involved. And also extra logistical support to go with it (eg camps with physios available at all times, extra medical staff on standby at the game etc). Barbarians is a neat little sidestep- the players were still looked after, just not to Aus A standards.

That would seem to be a miserly point of view, especially with so many top line players involved

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
DTH Van De Merwe

very good player. plays for glasgow in the magners. was third or fourth in the league in try scoring. I would say he is the best back we've had since Morgan Williams and best inside back we've had in quite some time.
He usually plays wing for glasgow actually. Agree on him at 12 though I'm not sure who we have to shift to 13. A bit late at this stage of the game i'd say. A good centre pairing would do us a world of good.

T

tranquility

I really hope Canada snags a decent upset in the tournament, it would do the world of good to both the Canadian rugby community and the world cup itself.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
If anyone would oblige... for those of us south of the border with little knowledge of Brisbane club rugby could someone give us a rundown on the QLD XV players that are not the academy players we all know and love? I can look up height, weight, games played etc, but this never does justice to a players ability.

It would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.