• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quick question for those following the HC/T14

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
What's going on with George Smith in Toulon? Is he injured? I've barely heard a word spoken about him since his transfer there. It can't just be due to his side or due to the fact that he isn't qualified to play in the 6N, because I've heard plenty about his fellow Toulon backrower Joe Van Niekerk.

Is he off form, underappreciated, or does the European/Toulon game not suit a southern hemisphere fetcher? I've also heard little about "world's best prop" Carl Hayman, though that surprises me less given that props rarely shine unless they're playing the Wallabies.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
He played last week against Lirish, not the week before though. They have a big squad so he will probably get rested a fair bit.

Started against munster in the Heineken and played well.

Tbh not much news comes out of Toulon they just go about there business and you occasionally get an interview with Wilko done by the rugby club

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
So he's not injured, just not making the news? Is he having much of an impact on the games he plays?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
George has had some awesome games for Toulon in all 3 backrow positions, but game in game out for the last couple of years skipper JvN has been the iconic backrow star. Then there's Fernandez-Lobbe and other gents who know how to play in the backrow. They're not short of talent.

Top14 teams play 26 pool games in their season then the best teams get to play 6 pool games in the Heineken Cup. Add on finals games and you're looking at a possible 40 games. Squads have to be larger and players are rotated more. George Smith would be playing in those weeks when international players are training or playing for their countries so he'd get a bit of rest when they come back.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Understood, LG. But I guess my real question is: is he playing up to his usual standards? This ongoing lack of a mention in Toulon match reports (the ones I know he played in) is a little disappointing.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He's been going OK in the games I've seen though is not as big a standout as at the Brumbies because there are more top players in his team by comparison. I wouldn't have said that a couple of years ago about Toulon. The commentators often wank on about him.

I saw a lot more of him before the autumn tests started than I have since but when the Wallabies left on their trip I recall posting that of all the offshore Oz players only he and Lyons would be useful to the Oz squad on their EOYT. This was based on tour needs and form only, and ignoring the future. So I must have thought he was playing well. Lyno was too, by golly.

Status
Not open for further replies.