• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RA to bid for RWC2027

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pulver announced this today as part of the discussion around the new Women's comp and our intent to bid for the 2021 Womens RWC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems like South Africa will be favourites if they bid again particularly as they were World Rugby's choice for 2023.

I like that we're having a crack though.

I tend to think we're more likely to have to wait a couple more cycles though as South Africa will most likely be red hot favourites for 2027, back to the north in 2031 and then Australia a good chance in 2035.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It seems like South Africa will be favourites if they bid again particularly as they were World Rugby's choice for 2023.

I like that we're having a crack though.

I tend to think we're more likely to have to wait a couple more cycles though as South Africa will most likely be red hot favourites for 2027, back to the north in 2031 and then Australia a good chance in 2035.

I think France have shown you don't necessarily need to wait your turn. South Africa 2027 and Europe 2031 would mean 3 world cups in a row in that time zone. If the 2019 world cup is a success and the IPRC helps boost the game in Asia then having the 2027 tournament in the Asia-Pacific timezone may even be more lucrative.

T

TOCC

Given the planned upgrades of Sydney stadiums, new Townsville/Perth Stadiums, and other quality stadiums like AAMI Park and Suncorp, Australia will be well placed infrastructure wise to bid for the games and spread it across the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
France won because they guaranteed the biggest cash payment. If this is the new gold-plated standard for bidding then I suggest Australia will be wasting its time putting in a bid in the forseeable future. So too NZ. Southern Hemisphere leagues just don't have the money.

T

TOCC

It can't be done without some serious government support, I imagine RA will need to lobby not just the federal government but the state governments as well to provide guarantees for those profit figures. But I don't believe its an unattainable goal, and given Australia's success at hosting events we have history on our side:

Crowd attendance:
2015 RWC England: 2.22 million
2007 RWC France: 2.09 million
2003 RWC Australia: 1.88million
2011 RWC New Zealand: 1.47

Crowd wise Australia can compete, its whether the broadcasters and subsequently the sponsor can also come on board.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It'd be interesting to see where quarter finals would be played at a 2027 world cup in Australia.

In 2003 the quarters were held at Suncorp and Docklands, but the new Perth Stadium will have a capacity bigger than both of them (65k for rectangular sports).

Would be tempting to play a big match at the MCG if it was available.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It'd all come down to funding. As TOCC says the Feds would provide some and then the states would bid too.

That would dictate where the finals were played.

The Asian cup soccer received $30m from govts. About half from Feds and the rest from Qld, nsw and vic.

RWC worth a lot more obviously. But hard to justify that level.

Who sells the broadcast rights?

T

TOCC

World Rugby handles the broadcast rights and commercial aspect.

The host nation makes its revenue through match day revenue and travel packages.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It'd all come down to funding. As TOCC says the Feds would provide some and then the states would bid too.

That would dictate where the finals were played.

The Asian cup soccer received $30m from govts. About half from Feds and the rest from Qld, nsw and vic.

RWC worth a lot more obviously. But hard to justify that level.

Who sells the broadcast rights?

The amount they'd be willing to stump up would be determined by the projected visitor numbers and there predicted economic impact and the competitions overall reach. Which should in theory see them come up with more tham the $30m the Asian Cup managed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The amount they'd be willing to stump up would be determined by the projected visitor numbers and there predicted economic impact and the competitions overall reach. Which should in theory see them come up with more tham the $30m the Asian Cup managed.

Yep. Which is what I said.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It can be done and it is something that would get buy in from the Commonwealth and State governments if spread across the country. Marketed correctly the economic spinoffs will far exceed revenue on attendance. Work it in conjunction with our niche tourism market. Imagine a RWC game in the Red Centre in Alice Springs and in Darwin. Facilities in venues are of a good standard with both AFL and NRL played annually.

T

TOCC

If Australia hosts a RWC, the minimum standard for the stadiums would be something resembling Robina Stadium on the Gold Coast. Capacity no less then 20,000-25,000 of modern design and specs with reasonable protection from the weather.

Additionally for the finals matches preference will be given towards rectangular grounds, although as evidenced in Japan it’s not an absolute deal breaker, but that only occurred due to issues with the construction of the new Olympic Stadium.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Are there any plans for WC expansion post 2023?

Given that nobody outside of the Australia, NZ, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and Japan has ever qualified for the World Cup, seeing the debut of a Hong Kong, or another nation would be exciting, at least for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.