• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rams vs Rising, Sat 11 October @ Pirtek

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Looks like we've been WAY too busy in the Kurtley Beale thread to start a matchday thread for this one. i'll put down my pitchfork for on second and knock up a quick preview.

The Rising welcome back Jonah, Sean and Toby from team rehab. The bye came at a good time for the team. The Rams are coming off an impressive win against Brisvegas and would be looking to climb up the ladder with two rounds to go. Melbourne would be looking to cement a home final with a solid win against a team boasting a handful of Waratahs.

Match ups, err..no idea. Perhaps Volavola and Jack D will ahve a superboot battle. Can anyoner with half a clue about the Rams team give us the run-down on your team (Pfitzy I'm looking at you) ? I reckon Hugh Roach will be a handful if he gets a start, same for Alcock. i always say it will be a loose forwards battle, and I'm probably right again.

Rising preview is below. There's a nice little interview with Big Red.

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/round-8-preview-greater-sydney-rams-v-rising

Rising by 10...

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
With 1st place locked up will Rising do a Perth Spirit and try to give their local players a go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of players get a bit of gametime especially in case of injuries (Specifically Gus and Naufahu) but Hedger and the gang will probably be reluctant to tinker too much with a winning formula.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
With 1st place locked up will Rising do a Perth Spirit and try to give their local players a go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They risk their own destruction!!!!

In reality, the Rising pack probably has too many full time rugby players for this result to end and other way than a thrashing for the home team.

The Rams (team should be announced today) will likely be playing a few full time blokes of their own up front - Roach, Alcock, Mafi - being supported by some good semi pro players in Perrett, Sio and the two Eastwood props Gillespie and Millar + one other second rower.

We might put on a couple of good tries - watch for the speed of right winger Mackenzie in particular - but fatigue of our club guys versus full professional player will be the difference at minutes 30-40 and then again at 60-80.

Having said all that: Rams by 30!!!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Saw something on the NRC tweet feed that Fatcat and Benny A were playing for the Rams too.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Telusa misses with a hand injury, Sione, Fereti, Burgess and Imo out of the 23, Placid, McMahon, Toby, Meehan and Naufahu in.

1. Toby Smith (Melbourne Uni/Rebels)

2. Pat Leafa (Box Hill/Rebels) (Vice Captain)

3. Paul Alo-Emile (Power House/ Rebels)

4. Sam Jeffries (Melbourne Uni/Rebels)

5. Cadeyrn Neville (Foostcray/Rebels)

6. Luke Jones (Moorabbin/Rebels)

7. Sean McMahon (Endeavour Hills/Rebels)

8. Lopeti Timani (Footscray/Rebels)

9. Nic Stirzaker (Endeavour Hills/Rebels) (Captain)

10. Jack Debreczeni (Endeavour Hills/Rebels)

11. Joe Kamana (Moorabbin)

12. Mitch Inman (Southern Districts/Rebels) (Vice Captain)

13. Tom English (Melbourne Uni/Rebels)

14. Rennie Lautolo-Molimau (Endeavour Hills)

15. Jonah Placid (Rebels)

16. Tom Sexton (Power House/Rebels)

17. Tuiatua Tuia (Moorabbin)

18. Cruze Ah-Nau (Footscray/Rebels)

19. Pom Simona (Harlequin) (Vice Captain)

20. Reuben Rolleston (Endeavour Hills)

21. Ben Meehan (Box Hill/Rebels)

22. Lloyd Johansson (Harlequin)

23. Martin Naufahu (Foostcray)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Saw something on the NRC tweet feed that Fatcat and Benny A were playing for the Rams too.

That would be fucking awesome if so. And Rob Horne too.

Ideally, that would make the team:

1 Robinson
2 Roach
3 Alexander
4 Mafi
5 Sigg
6 Perrett
7 Alcock
8 Holloway (c)
9 Falealii
10 Volavola
11 Chisholm
12 Taefu
13 Seavula
14 Mackenzie
15 Batger

16 Ravai
17 Gillespie
18 Millar
19 Barry
20 Kovacic
21 Swanepoel
22 Ayoub
23 Horne

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rams announced:

1 Robinson
2 Ravai
3 Millar
4 Holloway
5 Sigg
6 Perrett (c)
7 Alcock
8 Sio
9 Swanepoel
10 Volavola
11 Hill
12 Taefu
13 Seavula
14 Mackenzie
15 Batger

16 Roach
17 Gillespie
18 Lolohea
19 Mafi
20 Kovacic
21 Ayoub
22 Latunipulu
23 Chisholm

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Rams announced:

1 Robinson
2 Ravai
3 Millar
4 Holloway
5 Sigg
6 Perrett (c)
7 Alcock
8 Sio
9 Swanepoel
10 Volavola
11 Hill
12 Taefu
13 Seavula
14 Mackenzie
15 Batger

16 Roach
17 Gillespie
18 Lolohea
19 Mafi
20 Kovacic
21 Ayoub
22 Latunipulu
23 Chisholm
Melrose has put a line through Chisholm's name,but continues to start Swanny?
Who would have picked T Hill to play mostly on the wing in this team?

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Rams announced:

1 Robinson
2 Ravai
3 Millar
4 Holloway
5 Sigg
6 Perrett (c)
7 Alcock
8 Sio
9 Swanepoel
10 Volavola
11 Hill
12 Taefu
13 Seavula
14 Mackenzie
15 Batger

16 Roach
17 Gillespie
18 Lolohea
19 Mafi
20 Kovacic
21 Ayoub
22 Latunipulu
23 Chisholm

No reserve halfback? Ayoub can play there I guess, but unless he's injured I would've expected Auvasa to get another run, he was pretty good last week.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Slightly disappointed that Alexander isn't playing. Would have loved to see Toby and PAE against Ben and Benn.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Have only seen Holloway play 8 up til now and has been outstanding. Choice between him and Sio at the back of the scrum must have been difficult.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I assume Mafi is being rested, or they don't want two makeshift second rowers, as Mafi has been very good.

Swanepoel hasn't been good, so the other halfback (forgot his name) who has been very good is a huge loss.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have only seen Holloway play 8 up til now and has been outstanding. Choice between him and Sio at the back of the scrum must have been difficult.

Last week I made the same observation after the game. Not to go all Growden on you, but the discussion basically came around to:

Holloway is in the Tahs squad.
Douglas isn't any more.
Cheika needs locks.
Join the dots.

Not that I think for a minute someone like Melrose would let anyone tell him how to run his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.