• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rays v Rams — Sun 28th Sept @ Brookvale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The game or the score line seemed to change when the halves combo changed, and when the Rams 23 came on, or something changed.

But at the same time the ref seemed hell bent on levelling the score board and a number of penalties seemed to flow Rams way - my seating couldn't give a good visual perspective they may have been warranted? ???? But the ref achieved a draw.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Strange game. Rays scrum was an embarassment at this level - the only scrums they could win cleanly was when Rams had 7 forwards. Lineout only marginally better - Roche from the Rams caught 3 overthrows with the Rays on hard attack, sometimes no-one jumped, got better when Gower and replacement hooker came on. Both sides looked disjointed - Rays at their most dangerous when the ball got to the centres, which was all too rare unfortunately. Holmes main involvements in the first half were ok, but he wasn't playing as a winger at these times, he was in the middle of things (as he is when he plays half). Rams scrum was awesome, but they lack penetration - which made it strange that Volavola spent 65 minutes on the bench.

Draw was probably a fair result - the Rays won't be threatening for the title on this performance.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Strange game. Rays scrum was an embarassment at this level - the only scrums they could win cleanly was when Rams had 7 forwards. Lineout only marginally better - Roche from the Rams caught 3 overthrows with the Rays on hard attack, sometimes no-one jumped, got better when Gower and replacement hooker came on. Both sides looked disjointed - Rays at their most dangerous when the ball got to the centres, which was all too rare unfortunately. Holmes main involvements in the first half were ok, but he wasn't playing as a winger at these times, he was in the middle of things (as he is when he plays half). Rams scrum was awesome, but they lack penetration - which made it strange that Volavola spent 65 minutes on the bench.

Draw was probably a fair result - the Rays won't be threatening for the title on this performance.
Poor tactics from the Rams.
They had total dominance in the set piece,and the only time they kicked it out, it either went dead in goal or out on the full,with no gain in territory.
IMO it was one of those matches that many players would be disappointed in their performance.
As should the coaches,the replacement strategy for both sides was poor I thought.
Had the Rams given the replacement 9, Henry S & Ben V more time,they would have won in a canter.I was dumbfounded when Ben V came on & he went to 12 & not 10. Despite scoring a try (sorry Dave,but wtf was Sef doing!) Ayoub was possibly the best player for the Rays.
As for the Rays,the replacement props are just not up to it, yet they continue to replace the starters as part of their strategy,not due to injuries.
They should have replaced Melrose with Gower, and Angus for Daruda 30 minutes before they did as well.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Despite scoring a try (sorry Dave,but wtf was Sef doing!) Ayoub was possibly the best player for the Rays.

He was part of the 24 - 0 scoreline before the halves changed. But I'm not putting it down to the halves changing, the penalties all of a sudden appeared to flow the Rams way at that time & score line, and the game changed flow as well - and it appeared a sudden change - was the ref wanting to balance it up?

Out muscled in the scrums, and yeah can't understand why Gower didn't start. Agree with regards to the props.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Poor tactics from the Rams.
They had total dominance in the set piece,and the only time they kicked it out, it either went dead in goal or out on the full,with no gain in territory.
IMO it was one of those matches that many players would be disappointed in their performance.
As should the coaches,the replacement strategy for both sides was poor I thought.
Had the Rams given the replacement 9, Henry S & Ben V more time,they would have won in a canter.I was dumbfounded when Ben V came on & he went to 12 & not 10. Despite scoring a try (sorry Dave,but wtf was Sef doing!) Ayoub was possibly the best player for the Rays.
As for the Rays,the replacement props are just not up to it, yet they continue to replace the starters as part of their strategy,not due to injuries.
They should have replaced Melrose with Gower, and Angus for Daruda 30 minutes before they did as well.

There seemed to be more kicking in this game than in other NRC games that I've watched - and most of it was poor at that. The replacement 9 for the Rams seemed to energise the whole side. I can't believe that Volavola isn't the first back picked in this team.

The Rays have a selection and replacement strategy?:)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Melrose has to stop with Ayoub and Swanepoel. They're awful.

Falealii is the key to unlocking pacy attack. How was the replacement hooker from Fiji? Man oh man he cut UP.

Those who reckon Greg Peterson is all that. Please give yourselves an uppercut. Pea-hearted guy who can't even dominate club rugby, and is doing about as well at this level.

If Skelton gets shit for not completing 80, then the Rays skipper can have a serve as well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Totally agree about the 9 & 10.
They absolutely stymied your guys today.
I thought Seavula was impressive in the little time he got as well.
Both Eastwood centres have been disappointing in Rams colours.
Seems to be a no brainier that he & Foketi start,with Ben V & the replacement 9 inside them.
Anyone know why Cohen Masson isn't getting a run?
Good player!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Were I to pick a Rams lineup with the personnel available right now:

1 Gillespie
2 Roach
3 Millar
4 Barry
5 Mafi
6 Perrett
7 Alcock
8 Holloway (c)
9 Falealii
10 Volavola
11 Chisholm
12 Seavalu
13 Foketi
14 McKenzie (how fucking good is this kid?)
15 Batger

That would be a pretty fast team with a fair bit of power in contact.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I thought that the 6 for the Rays had a very good game - Dempsey I think. He's one for the future, slotted in at this level without a problem. In fact all the backrow played well.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Melrose has to stop with Ayoub and Swanepoel. They're awful.

Falealii is the key to unlocking pacy attack. How was the replacement hooker from Fiji? Man oh man he cut UP.

Those who reckon Greg Peterson is all that. Please give yourselves an uppercut. Pea-hearted guy who can't even dominate club rugby, and is doing about as well at this level.

If Skelton gets shit for not completing 80, then the Rays skipper can have a serve as well.

Agree - Petersen is SS level. In fact the whole Rays tight 5 looked out of their depth. How we salvaged a draw when we could barely win a scrum or a lineout is anyone's guess.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A question for Pfitzy or some other front row guru out there. Does anyone teach teams how to win channel 1 ball off the hooker's heel anymore when they're being dominated?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
A question for Pfitzy or some other front row guru out there. Does anyone teach teams how to win channel 1 ball off the hooker's heel anymore when they're being dominated?

with the ref calling the feed it becomes a little difficult, that'd be why we sometimes see the ball sit in the tunnel and the dominant scrum push over. If the Hooker could call the feed with the hand tap he would be ready for that rake and channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.