• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RC4 - Australia v Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But this is about being opportunistic and reading the play, not stationed on an outpost in the centres ala Mr Hooper.

Ah yes, Hooper's notorious seagulling, which saw him score a try on the weekend from....... a pick and drive next to the ruck.

B

Bobby Sands

Ah yes, Hooper's notorious seagulling, which saw him score a try on the weekend from... a pick and drive next to the ruck.

Seagulls love pick and go tries, what are you talking about?

Of course Hooper is a seagull, and hes pretty effective at it too.

But a seagull none the less.

Anyway let's see how the backrow goes without the legendary Michael Hooper.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It will go fine because it contains our best overall rugby player (Pocock) and two guys in good form (Tui and Samu).

Just like it has gone well the vast majority of the time with Hooper as one of our three backrowers because throughout his career he has consistently performed very well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Damn now if we beat Argentina we’ll never hear the end of how much better we are without Hooper in the side.

Not really UTG. It is not Hooper per se, but the combination of Hooper at 7 and Pocock at 8 that most criticise. I don't think anybody is suggesting that Hooper isn't our second best No 7 and a worthy player at test level. It is just the unnecessary doubling up of two No 7s that in many eyes is holding back the Wallabies.

I actually thought the Argies test would suit Hooper better than many others given the speed and width their forwards play at. But I am quite sure the pack will play more as an 8 man unit without both Pocock and Hooper on the field at the same time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No it will be exactly the same as it is for this test every year - Argies will throw everything at it and be in the game till the last 20 when they’ll run out of puff. Post game the usual pundits will be on here claiming the ABs would have beaten us by 80. There will be an added dynamic this time though, regardless of what the back row actually does there will be people saying that if Hooper played we would have lost.

As I suspect KOB that there are some who will be secretly hoping the Wallabies will lose so that they can say that had Hooper been playing they would have won.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
As I suspect KOB that there are some who will be secretly hoping the Wallabies will lose so that they can say that had Hooper been playing they would have won.
Really? I wouldn’t think that anyone with that attitude would be enough of a supporter to give a shit.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
KOB. By his comments above, Derpus must be close.

And why would you think others will say that we would have lost if Hooper had played. That is an extremely long bow. Whether the game is won or lost, I would think we will be analysing the game on the basis of the input of the players there, not those who didn't play.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don’t hope that we lose and nor do I hope samu plays badly. I think our best back row has our 2 best back rowers in it - hooper and pocock. I think we are still competitive by picking lesser players of a more traditional back row make up. We don’t have the depth to do that at the expense of one of our world class players though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
KOB. By his comments above, Derpus must be close.

And why would you think others will say that we would have lost if Hooper had played. That is an extremely long bow. Whether the game is won or lost, I would think we will be analysing the game on the basis of the input of the players there, not those who didn't play.
Nah nah if we play better without Hooper im fine with it, that was all about that Sandy bloke being rude.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If there's an upside to Hooper's absence it's that St David's ref management is streets ahead. Hooper somehow just comes across as a whiner & a bit sulky if he doesn't get his way: as I think I mentioned after B2 he's in danger of being ignored/ dismissed by NH refs in particular as SMoore so often was.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Seagulls love pick and go tries, what are you talking about?

Of course Hooper is a seagull, and hes pretty effective at it too.

But a seagull none the less.

He’s not your typical seagull as his work rate is exceptionally high, often topping the tackle count overall and carrying metres in the forwards.
I am not a Pooper enthusiast but Hooper is no seagull.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Its empty. Looks like a sub par super crowd. Why the hell is it on the gold coast?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I hope the Wallabies let it flow and play what’s in front of them. Bigger than any selection issues is that they try to play too structured, like robots. They’ve left a heap of points on the park this series for that reason. Hopefully it was just an experiment that’s been bushed now!

Status
Not open for further replies.