• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 9: Auckland Blues v ACT Brumbies, Sat, April 20 2024

Favourite Rugby Manoeuvre:

• The Garry Owen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Seagull vs The Falcon

• The Basil Brush

• Total voters

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Easy to rinse the 9 when his pack is getting absolutely minced in front of him. Valetini fronted up again, Brown and Slipper had moments but they were totally outmuscled.
The whole team got minced except he looked like that pesky floater in the bowl that just wouldn't flush with the rest of the shite. He just kept popping up to the top, over and over again.

Neo

Stan Wickham (3)
Blues, Hurricanes and Chiefs are the best 3 teams in the comp. Brumbies are very average.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Blues, Hurricanes and Chiefs are the best 3 teams in the comp. Brumbies are very average.
Blues and Hurricanes are definitely top two and my prediction to play in the final. The Chiefs, however, have had some poor results: They lost to the Reds and the team coming stone motherless last - the Crusaders. They'll make the quarter finals and maybe the semi's, but I don't expect them to go any further. There's a logjam of teams - Brumbies, Rebels Chiefs, Waratahs, Reds, Drua who might fill positions 3 & 4 but it could be another month before we see who is going to emerge from the ruck. All those teams have had poor results at some stage this season and all could potentially explode out of that pack into a home quarter final place. Time will tell.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Larkham process driven games plans. Once its outside of the parameters the Brumbies have no script and no free thinking. I still don't know why they brought him back, let alone keep extending him.
Personality wise, is he a bit peculiar? Usually alone in the coaching box.

When he's addressing the troops in the locker room, he looks like a boring uni professor, delivering his sermon, yet avoiding eye contact. His pupils all silent, heads down, looking at the floor, anything to avoid eye contact with Voldemort.....

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Brumbies supporters very quiet on here!
Not really, easy for other fans to bitch when you play the to worse kiwi teams.. Wasn't great, we missed out early and suffered later.

Oneards though, Canes this week at home... Back on the horse and we will be fine.

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
We face the Blues next week.
Well I hope for Australia's sake you put up a better showing than that. Feels like the reverse of the second Super Rugby AU (2021?) season this year, with the Brumbies seemingly having the measure of the other Aus sides but the Reds being better set up to compete with the good Kiwi sides.

Yoda

Billy Sheehan (19)
Personality wise, is he a bit peculiar? Usually alone in the coaching box.

When he's addressing the troops in the locker room, he looks like a boring uni professor, delivering his sermon, yet avoiding eye contact. His pupils all silent, heads down, looking at the floor, anything to avoid eye contact with Voldemort.....
His nickname is Bernie from ‘A weekend at Bernies’. Bernie is a corpse!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not really, easy for other fans to bitch when you play the to worse kiwi teams.. Wasn't great, we missed out early and suffered later.

Oneards though, Canes this week at home... Back on the horse and we will be fine.
Exactly. These two games were always potential losses, one at the graveyard Eden park (which it proved to be again) and one against the high Flyers Hurricanes. Really though I fancy our chances against the Canes moreso than against the Blues.

For any other Aussie fans wanting to rub salt, just look at who's in 3rd spot on the ladder after all the byes and been done and dusted.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Their team performance was dictated by the extremely high error rate of the halves. The scrum was equal to the task and especially in the first half provided good steady ball but when the half back knocks it on in the process of extracting it from the No8's feet or fumbles it over the tryline to allow the Blues to score, or the No 10 kicks it straight to one of the strongest attacking sides in the competition, then there is an explanation for a first half possession stat of 77% to the Blues and 23% to the good guys.

Despite the scoreline, a few of the Brumbies still put in excellent shifts. Tom Wright was his usual spark at 15 though with few opportunities, Rob Valetini was strong in both attack and defence and Charlie Cale was exceptional around the park often covering the defence outside the winger.

What killed the Brumbies otherwise was their inability to stop the Blue's attack close to the line. Anyone who still believes bigger players are not more dangerous than those of smaller frame no matter the skill level just need to look at this game again.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Their team performance was dictated by the extremely high error rate of the halves. The scrum was equal to the task and especially in the first half provided good steady ball but when the half back knocks it on in the process of extracting it from the No8's feet or fumbles it over the tryline to allow the Blues to score, or the No 10 kicks it straight to one of the strongest attacking sides in the competition, then there is an explanation for a first half possession stat of 77% to the Blues and 23% to the good guys.

Despite the scoreline, a few of the Brumbies still put in excellent shifts. Tom Wright was his usual spark at 15 though with few opportunities, Rob Valetini was strong in both attack and defence and Charlie Cale was exceptional around the park often covering the defence outside the winger.

What killed the Brumbies otherwise was their inability to stop the Blue's attack close to the line. Anyone who still believes bigger players are more dangerous than those of smaller frame no matter the skill level just need to look at this game again.
Tom Wright put in some monster clearance kicks too well past half way..

I think we were dusted as soon as we couldn't convert a try at the start. We also tried to many trick lineouts in this part which was a mistake.

Once that happened Blues got there tails up we dropped a bit and it was a massacre.

But this idea that Brumbies fans are quiet about it.. whatever.. I'm glad the Reds and Force won, helps Oz rugby.

We will have a right crack at the Canes, and I still think we are a chance to knock them off.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Brumbies started well and their disruption/counter attacking of the Blues breakdown was a good tactic.

Unfortunately for Brumbies they blew a try when they had advantage before Funaki got binned and then were playing catch up all game when Blues went ahead. Turning down 3s was frankly dumb - especially against a team with the comp's best defence.

For the Blues well I'm very happy with Cotter as coach (and O'Halloran is back coaching the backs) - the forwards are very well drilled and the Blues halves of Funaki and Plummer were again great. The whole team runs direct - it is good to watch.

Quite a few Blues putting their case forward to Razor for higher honours.

Speaking of higher honours - Lolesio will give Schmidt serious pause with a game like that and RA must be happy they went with Schmidt over Larkham after watching a game like that.

One final point - why is Lonergan the captain and starting 9? His spot should be under pressure by Goddard.

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
I obviously don't understand the game. Lonergan and Lolesio both made one howling individual error each (Lonergan at the base of the ruck and Lolesio the dropout). Ryan's quick tap decision also stunk (though is a clear reflection, along with the trick plays, of the team's assesment of Pollard's throwing ability in those conditions).

Outside of that, they weren't throwing consistently poor passes. Other players were dropping them or having the ball dislodged in contact. In the conditions and with the team manifestly not skilled enough to maintain possession, what else would you have them do but try and kick it (in Lolesio's case often under huge pressure from slow ruck ball)? Similarly on the rare occassions we did hold the ball for multiple phases our carriers were getting slaughtered, with the exception of Valetini.

9 and 10 will both be disappointed with their performances but I think numbers 1-8 will enjoy watching the replay even less.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah you could tell immediately what kind of night it was going to be. The Blues did nothing but truck it up the guts with their first significant possession and they entered the 22 with consummate ease. Brumbies passive from the start.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm watching the replay. The first half was a slaughter. Should I continue watching the game?