• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
surely.
see my post before. what was the Inman - off sub....he was JUST beginning to bust tackles and find holes and he comes off so Roberts can roam the backline.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
surely.
see my post before. what was the Inman - off sub..he was JUST beginning to bust tackles and find holes and he comes off so Roberts can roam the backline.

I'm not a massive fan of Hill but it looked to me like he (Inman) was carrying a niggle, there was footage of him grabbing his elbow and/or shoulder. Let's remember he's been injured badly before.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Inman had smashed a shoulder it looked like at the ground. Wasn't moving properly at all.

What more is there to say at this point? It's the same problems every single fucking week with zero evidence of any improvement.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i've now rewatched the last 15 and can see now that Inman was injured.
JOC (James O'Connor) was floating in and our of 10 for a bit of that last stretch of play. at one point he was lined up at full back and roberts slotted into 10 and proceeded to kick the ball away - straight to the opposition.

The whole game though the backline looked very non-threatening. we spread it wide quick constantly but no one actually ran any lines or penetrated the defense. i thought we were very predictable. vuna needed to be more involved.

Woodward i thought was the only back that looked creative and in the first half almost all of our big breaks came off something he did.
his kick straight into touch was shocking, but that aside i thought he was pretty good again.
sidey doesn't offer much. he's not big enough to be effective running straight at the d, which is what he did regularly.
a great shame about inman as he is a top notch defender and was just beginning to find the gaps and wreak havoc.
JOC (James O'Connor) looked great running with the ball, but al that did was serve to convince me that he's probably a better 12 or 13 or that roving winger. he needs to be able to hit the line at angles which is tough for him to do playing 10.

dumbledore - i fully agree. it's really frustrating to have the same mistakes in the last 15 - 20 of every game. beale is a big loss, but some players have to be playing better. phipps has really fallen off this year and really since he announced his departure.

higgers himself makes a lot of dumb mistakes and seems to try to force the extra pass too much. he was better in that respect last night, but aah...those errors in the last 15....fuck. we were up by 10 and lost.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Frustrating game to be at. Couldn't belief that saffa kicked the ball away at 78 minutes. There I am saying dumbass you have given us the game only to see a rebel player spit the ball forward when we're playing with 14. Talk about coach killers, I think Hill copped about 4 in 6 minutes!

I saw a fair amount of pushed passes by our boys and all we seemed to have was spin it wide.

Have to say I was impressed with the kings halfback. He had some magic runs and seemed to play round the forwards well.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
"Meanwhile, the Rebels are set to confirm the resignation of chief executive Steve Boland on Monday and their interim replacement, with former Racing Victoria boss Rob Hines linked to the position."

yes. he's a rugby man

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
If Kingi's out, can we sign Burgess as an injury replacement and leave out Phipps for the rest of the year? Please?
i like your thinking highlander.

the short answer is yes, if he can be released from toulouse/toulon (i can never remember which one it is)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
i like your thinking highlander.

the short answer is yes, if he can be released from toulouse/toulon (i can never remember which one it is)

Probably a week or 2 too early. They're not going to let their sometimes 1st and sometimes 2nd choice halfback leave during the H-Cup finals.

sammy3191

Bob McCowan (2)
First time poster, long time reading of the forum.

How frustrating was the game on Saturday, the Rebels seem to lose the plot in the last 15-20 minutes. I've now into my 3rd season of frustrating rugby watching, the Rebels just don't seem to have the ability to close out games.
I did make comment on the Rebels Facebook page on Saturday night about Rebels management needing to convience me to renew my Platinum membership next year. I still stand by that comment, fans ive spoken to are feeling very let down by the club as we don't seem to be progressing as we should have.

Is it time to replace the coach with someone who has winning experience at super rugby level, someone to harden the team up.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
First time poster, long time reading of the forum.

How frustrating was the game on Saturday, the Rebels seem to lose the plot in the last 15-20 minutes. I've now into my 3rd season of frustrating rugby watching, the Rebels just don't seem to have the ability to close out games.
I did make comment on the Rebels Facebook page on Saturday night about Rebels management needing to convience me to renew my Platinum membership next year. I still stand by that comment, fans ive spoken to are feeling very let down by the club as we don't seem to be progressing as we should have.

Is it time to replace the coach with someone who has winning experience at super rugby level, someone to harden the team up.
welcome

as you will have read on the forum, this an oft debated question here. if someone appropriate is available then yes.

the biggest problem as i see it is not endeavour, or game plan, or decision making (which is often bad, but only experience will remedy that) but the execution of skills under pressure. the rebels need a coach who can improve their individual and group skillset. the set piece has been considerably better this year, i thought the forwards played well against a strong pack, but still on saturday there were costly errors at both attacking lineout and defensive scrums. the less said about the backline play the better.

if you look at the force experience, it clearly takes a long time to get the infrastructure and culture and playing roster right. the rebels have been hamstrung by the limitations of the initial squad.

hopefully a new CEO will put the club on the right path and give us supporters reason to fork out $$ again next year, but like you i am terribly frustrated at the slow progress and the same errors

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think we need to stop talking BS about bring blokes in from elsewhere and give Muggo the head coaching role.

The blokes a legend and is probably the most respected man on the Rebels' coaching staff by the other coaches and the players. It'd be a seamless change in personal but would no doubt bring a change of emphasis in what they are doing, rather than changing what they are doing all together. The Rebels don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, they just need to change the emphasis of what they are doing.

It's not all bad, for starters (and this is hard to fathom after this week) our scrum is 4-5 teams better than last year and our soft tissue injuries are down. We just need a few major tweaks.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I think we need to stop talking BS about bring blokes in from elsewhere and give Muggo the head coaching role.

If Ewen won't come, I endorse this highly.

He's done wonders with our forwards this year, and seems to be someone who won't tolerate dicking around.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i would endorse if it brought in an excellent attack coach to g alongside him
that said, i think the rebels are looking at Scott Johnson. word is that mckenzie isn't going to get the irish gig, schmidt will, so i think the rebels are pursuing johnson and mckenzie. (queue the why would mckenzie go to the rebels???) i think he would because if deans gets reappointed and mckenzie misses out on ireland, as it seems he will, then he has no other options and is out of a job, possibly for two years. he will want the wallabies job thereafter, and the best way to keep relevant to the ARU is to either coach another top international team (no spots available) or stick in super rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No need to fret guys, Beale is possibly back in the frame:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/rebels-put-beale-in-frame-20130414-2htnw.html

JOC (James O'Connor) reckons that's he's in a good head space, and no one could be a better judge of character than James O'Connor:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...eale-in-a-good-head-space-20130415-2hupu.html

Beale is reported to have said that he "can't wait to go out there this weekend and smash those c**nts!"......... and he looks forward to getting back onto the field the following week.........

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Ewen won't come, I endorse this highly.

He's done wonders with our forwards this year, and seems to be someone who won't tolerate dicking around.

Does he work much with the forwards? He's a league back by trade.

He seems to me to mostly run the team talks and drills revolving around D for both the forwards and backs.

Getting Ewen would be a clever trick but I wouldn't bet the barn on it.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If the Rebels are pursuing Johnson, then the Scotland head coach gig is open and Ewen would pursue that before considering coaching another Super Rugby team. But if Johnson stay put, and as you say Schmidt takes up the Ireland job, anything is possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.