• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does he work much with the forwards? He's a league back by trade.

He seems to me to mostly run the team talks and drills revolving around D for both the forwards and backs.

Getting Ewen would be a clever trick but I wouldn't bet the barn on it.

Muggo was a forward for the Eels when they won three on the trot under the great Jack Gibson. Not a back. Not that it matters. Les Kiss was a Kangaroo winger and is the former defence coach and now current Ireland coach. At the Rebels Muggo does the D and that's it. Cockbain supposedly runs the forwards. Matt Tink the scrum and Nathan Grey the backs.

As for future coaches, there's no shortage. If not Johnson, then whoever out of Link and Deans doesn't get the Wallas job. Don't dismiss Link wanting to come back to his home town either.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I want whoever doesn't get the Wallabies job - so either Deans or McKenzie - and I want a decent skills coach. The hands of the players are just fucking appalling. We'd concede more turnovers than any other team in the competition by a huge margin.

T

Train Without a Station

i would endorse if it brought in an excellent attack coach to g alongside him
that said, i think the rebels are looking at Scott Johnson. word is that mckenzie isn't going to get the irish gig, schmidt will, so i think the rebels are pursuing johnson and mckenzie. (queue the why would mckenzie go to the rebels???) i think he would because if deans gets reappointed and mckenzie misses out on ireland, as it seems he will, then he has no other options and is out of a job, possibly for two years. he will want the wallabies job thereafter, and the best way to keep relevant to the ARU is to either coach another top international team (no spots available) or stick in super rugby.

Reds will accommodate Ewan undoubtedly if he was going for another Super Rugby gig, the departure is his choice, not theirs. There is zero chance of him coming to Melbourne. He is only leaving a successful role after proving himself to pursue an international gig. There's no way he is going to go from the penthouse to the shithouse, figuratively. Has nothing to gain by coaching the Rebels and plenty to lose. You got more chance of seeing him as CEO than coach.

If you or I left our job at a market leader on very good terms, to pursue higher roles, why then would we go to the bottom company in the market? The Reds would burn Graham before Ewan I imagine.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I'd do it if I was being paid an enormous amount and was confident in my ability to turn the under performing company around.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I want whoever doesn't get the Wallabies job - so either Deans or McKenzie - and I want a decent skills coach. The hands of the players are just fucking appalling. We'd concede more turnovers than any other team in the competition by a huge margin.

More than the Waratahs?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Wallabies coadch - Assistant wallabies coach of the 99 World Cup we won would have been a great fit with link.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd be very surprised if Link went back into Super Rugby.

ARU need to look very seriously at promoting one of our own coaches into that slot and mentor the buggery out of them to ensure success and to create homegrown depth. If that is a converted mungo coach, then so be it.

That being said, I'll throw my personal favourites hat in the ring for discussion, Todd Louden. Well worth considering for the reasons previously posted by myself and Bruce Ross.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
That being said, I'll throw my personal favourites hat in the ring for discussion, Todd Louden. Well worth considering for the reasons previously posted by myself and Bruce Ross.
How that man is languishing away up at Nelsons Bay is beyond me. But then we are in the alternative universe of Australian rugby where proven incompetents can have provinces bidding furiously against one another for their services, with the victor(?) signing them on a multi-year contract; the logic presumably being that if they're here for long enough they'll eventually get the hang of coaching winning teams.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Luke Burgess confirmed as signing a 3 year deal with the Rebels. He is expected back in Oz in May.

Rebels are advertising for 2014 Head Coach role and have told Damien Hill he is more than welcome to apply.

Confirmation that Steve Boland is departing from CEO role.

Sam Cordingley has been appointed to the new role of General Manager, Rugby.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The lure of returning home to lead his state side, as well as the blankest of blank cheques Victoria can provide?

But yeah, he'll wait until Deans is fired in August and take the Wallabies gig.

Doubt that going home or any amount of money are worth the chance the Rebel's playing group could screw him as he is on the cusp of an international coaching position.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
How that man is languishing away up at Nelsons Bay is beyond me. But then we are in the alternative universe of Australian rugby where proven incompetents can have provinces bidding furiously against one another for their services, with the victor(?) signing them on a multi-year contract; the logic presumably being that if they're here for long enough they'll eventually get the hang of coaching winning teams.

I read recently that he was enjoying his time away from top tier footy and that he had established a couple of businesses up that way. But your right Bruce, a talent unfulfilled and rated super highly by everyone who came in contact with him. I sincerely hope he's on the shopping list.

sammy3191

Bob McCowan (2)
I think the Rebels could do a whole lot worse than Robbie Deans, if he isn't reappointed with the Wallabies. You only have to look at his record with the Crusaders & the Canterbury NPC team to know he has got the coaching ability at this level.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the Rebels could do a whole lot worse than Robbie Deans, if he isn't reappointed with the Wallabies. You only have to look at his record with the Crusaders & the Canterbury NPC team to know he has got the coaching ability at this level.

Robbie thrived off of the Canterbury system of development and play (of which he was very much a part of, having been involved in various capacities across the years).

Coming to the Rebels with no such pathways, systems, or even the golden word "culture" exist would be very different and I don't think anybody could expect success from him.

Robbie can certainly be a great part of and even improve a club's systems, but he's sure as hell never created one. Ewen has (but we won't get him) and Macqueen has (yet us hiring him didn't work). It's a hard sell.

Maybe a bloke like Christini would be a good go? It's outlandish (very outlandish) but he's certainly turned a whole lot of clubs from zero to competitive very quickly.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
swingpass, It is Glen Christini who is a recent Gaggerland Citizen and would probably be too humble to write himself up publicly on here.

I also reckon he has certain contractual obligations to deliver to his current employer (Parramatta Two Blues), the GM of which is also active on these threads.

Glen has had great success in the ACT with the Vikings and Queanbeyan before coming to Sydney at the start of last season.

Proof of his ability to turn things around is evident in what the Two Blues have achieved recently, although much credit also needs to go the the volunteers and the GM, Belly who have created the environment for Glen to succeed.

I think he still has some unfinished business with the Two Blues before he would be looking onward and upward for new challenges.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Dear Dumbledore,

As a valued Member of our Club, we would like inform you first of any breaking news.

The Melbourne Rebels have appointed Rob Clarke as our interim CEO.

This will be communicated to the media shortly.

MELBOURNE REBELS APPOINT INTERIM CEO

The RaboDirect Rebels are pleased to announce the appointment of an interim CEO to replace Steve Boland, who has resigned from the Club effective May 3.

Rob Clarke, best known in Australian Rugby for his roles as CEO of the ACT Brumbies and COO of the ARU between 2003 and 2007, will formally take up the role on April 30.

RaboDirect Melbourne Rebel's Chairman, Harold Mitchell AC said, "on behalf of the Club, I am pleased to announce that Rob Clarke has agreed to accept the role of CEO to at least the end of the current season. Rob has agreed to continue beyond that time until a permanent appointment is confirmed.

"The Club is most fortunate to have obtained somebody of Rob's broad and successful experience in both rugby and commerce. I have known Rob for many years, particularly through his achievements in the advertising world. He will bring strong leadership and excellent communication skills to the Rebels during this important time for the Club."

Commenting on his appointment Clarke said, "I am delighted that this opportunity to support Rugby in Victoria has been presented to me. I have an association with Rugby in Victoria that goes back to my time as CEO of the Brumbies and ACT Rugby. I welcome the chance to play a part in positioning the Rebels to have a major impact on the national Rugby landscape. In my view, for our game to succeed nationally, Rugby in sports mad Melbourne must capture the hearts and minds of all Victorians.

"Much good work has been done over the last three years with the generous and tangible support of Harold Mitchell, in particular, other investors, stakeholders, members and fans. Working together we can take Rebel Rugby in Victoria to new heights."

Career summary
Rob Clarke, a student of the Shore School Sydney, was a member of the 1981 Australian Schoolboys team that toured the UK and USA undefeated in all 14 games. Rob had a successful career in advertising over 20 years, culminating as CEO (Australia and New Zealand) of the international advertising Agency, Leo Burnett. From 2003 to 2005 he was CEO of the ACT Brumbies, with the club winning the Super Rugby title in 2004. From 2006 to 2007, Rob was Chief Operating officer (COO) of the ARU. Since resigning from the ARU, Rob has operated in private equity markets and holds a number of non-executive board positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.