• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
i really like Meehan, i think he will ultimately be better than Stirzaker, because of his better kicking game.
i hope they go with Debreczeni at 10, although i think Hegarty has been pretty good for the Rebels in the past couple of years. His pop gun kicks limit his effectiveness at 10 and 15, i wonder whether he could make a real good 12, he can pass, can step and is a dynamic tackler.

I think Stirzaker's pass is better and really rate his sniping runs. But both are great options hope going ahead we can keep both.
I remember the game a few years ago when Hegarty played full back and had a huge game. I hope they give him a go there as i think he is more naturally suited to fullback. Maybe we could use the same system as the Reds 2011 with Debreczini dropping back in defense for a tactical kicking advantage.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Meehan's cameo last season was electric. He's a really zippy player and probably gasses both Stirzaker and Burgess by a country mile. Still raw but oodles of potential.

There's something about Stirzaker that stops me from really getting behind him. I think it's a hint of petulance that he's yet to work through. Spits the dummy and does silly stuff when frustrated. He needs to keep his head screwed on now that the pathway into the Wallabies is open to young understudies of Phipps.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Nah that just reeks of 'contract negotiation' to me. Lot's of players make that sort of noise when contracts are being renewed. Quade, Beale etc.

Fine player but not sure he would earn the sort of dollars being thrown at other wallabies at this stage in his career anyway.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah let's pile on and break out the pitchforks when a contract is actually signed.

Until then, lets keep them sharp...

God knows we've chased the eligible flyhalfs pretty hard. To'omua, Lilo and Foley all turned us down; Bieber and Beale were abject failures.

I say we learn our lessons and keep developing players, building a strong culture that entices blokes to stay in Melbourne and do it the hard way.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Rebels' leadership group was announced, with Weeks, Stirzaker, Leafa and Fuglistaller joining Higgers.

Should indicate the respective pecking order for those positions.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
one thing i am certain about after the last couple of years, is that the Rebels are a work in progress, longterm, slow, and probably with some false dawns and many disappointments along the way. we have to look at the Force experience as our reality check. they started with a lot more Australian talent available to them and still struggled. the rebels 2014 pre season built up, as it turned out, totally unrealistic expectations of how the season would pan out.
i agree with Tex the only way to build a sustainable franchise is to develop it from within and make players want to come and stay in Melbourne because of the rugby program and the lifestyle.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hopefully we can start bringing through some Vic youngsters too. I mean, fair enough, there weren't many, if any in 2011, and we've had few successes in leading Victorians home, but hopefully U20s and Schoolboys from the last few years have enough talent and potential so they can be full contributing members of the Super Squad.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels' leadership group was announced, with Weeks, Stirzaker, Leafa and Fuglistaller joining Higgers.

Should indicate the respective pecking order for those positions.

so from the 2014 leadership group, hugh pyle gone OS and tom english demoted. "thats a bit laxative"

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
so from the 2014 leadership group, hugh pyle gone OS and tom english demoted. "thats a bit laxative"

Think Tom English has more competition for his starting spot this is can only be a good thing for him.

Interesting with the competition in the forwards that four of them our in the leadership group. Would have prefer to have a second back in the mix.

Meehan's cameo last season was electric. He's a really zippy player and probably gasses both Stirzaker and Burgess by a country mile. Still raw but oodles of potential.

There's something about Stirzaker that stops me from really getting behind him. I think it's a hint of petulance that he's yet to work through. Spits the dummy and does silly stuff when frustrated. He needs to keep his head screwed on now that the pathway into the Wallabies is open to young understudies of Phipps.

Have to agree, thought Meehan was good off the bench at the start of 2014. Don't know why but I am not a big Stirzaker fan and think he sooks to much at times.

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
Touring Squad for the trial against the Reds
"Cruze Ah-Nau, Paul Alo-Emile, Luke Burgess, Cam Crawford, Steve Cummins, Jack Debreczeni, Tom English, Colby Fainga’a, Scott Fuglistaller, Mike Harris, Bryce Hegarty, Scott Higginbotham, Mitch Inman, Sam Jeffries, Luke Jones, Pat Leafa, Sean McMahon, Ben Meehan, Sefanaia Naivalu, Cadeyrn Neville, Jonah Placid, Jordy Reid, Tom Sexton, Dom Shipperley, Toby Smith, Nic Stirzaker, Telusa Veainu, Laurie Weeks"

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Amazed (excited) to see Dom Shipperley in the squad. I thought he was going to be out for a few more weeks if not months.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Rebels have a lot to prove this year , never really recovered momentum lost after the wholesale changes made before the Force match last year . There seems to be a lot of talent on the books with some exciting young players , I hope they and all the Aussie teams go well in 2015 , lets turn this ship around and give the RWC a real shake !

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So according to the leadership team announcement from last week a Captain was to be annoucedthis week. At the Super Rugby launch Higgers is running around filling the role as Captain. Can we infer from this he'll still be hold this job this season?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Are Timani and Kingston injured?

Looks like this is the Rebels Squad minus the Japanese contingent (Elison, Horie and Samo), the two Shute Shield props, Timani and Kingston. Can't see anyone else who isn't on that list?

If they are not injured I'd expect to see them get some game time down at Ashwood next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.