• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On the 24th March 2010, the Team barely existed. We had Harold Mitchell, the VRU, Brian Waldron, Rod McQueen, Damien Hill, Greg Harris, Danny Cipriani, Laurie Weeks and Gareth Delve.

On the 24th March 2016, the side has played, then had moved on, 75 players, with an additional 4 players recruited and moved on having never played a game (Chris Thomson, Jed Gillespie, Trent Dyer and Isaiah Mosese).

It's perhaps not a ludicrous amount of turnover, but we were starting a team from scratch. Can't help but feel that we should still have more boys around from "the early years", if we'd done some things better.

The Reds have used 95 in that same time. 8 of whom went to the Rebels and 2 had played for them.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Is that 95 total, or 95 who've all left, because that'll add the 38 players that are in this years squad, taking that total to an almighty 117 players who've been on the books between 2011 and 2016.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
95 from then to now who've played for the Reds. Includes current players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I count 107 then. 79 former players, 4 of which didn't get a game, 38 current players, of which 6 are yet to debut.

Still seems excessive IMO, but if it's really only 2 more players over 6 years, it can't be too bad.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
I count 107 then. 79 former players, 4 of which didn't get a game, 38 current players, of which 6 are yet to debut.

Still seems excessive IMO, but if it's really only 2 more players over 6 years, it can't be too bad.
Did you count Pauliasi Manu who was recruited but then failed a medical, barely even hitting the training paddock? Now listed with the chiefs.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

As long as you have a reasonably solid core of players, roster churn is a very good thing IMO. Make the players compete and if they're not up to it move them on. When you go back and look at some of the old teams there was some serious junk around.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Is that based on the Cam Clark rumours? I don't buy it. Kellaway is obviously a Golden Boy, but he's a bit light on for a McGahan outside back. Unless the recruitment department is on a different wavelength from what I can see.

T

TOCC

Really? That's a bit disappointing for the Seven's program.

Il be interested to see how Pama goes, he doesn't have a massive background in XV's rugby, he might find reading the play and a bit challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That does suck for 7s, but as I said on one of the Sevens threads when people were denigrating me for being into Fou and Clark for 15s, I reckon he could be a real good asset for us, in the mold of the rangy Argentine winger who's name escapes me.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
94 players have represented Rebels in Super Rugby. Inagaki player 85 (last debutant last year) plus 9 debutants this year (Hanson, Hodge, Thomson, Hawkins, Hagan, Matsushima, Moloney, Snowden, Tuipulotu)

From my count 61 of those players have moved on plus the four who didn't play a game.
Effectively there are 39 players in squad this year - 37 on website plus Matsushima and Moloney (given they have both played). Yes 6 of them haven't played a game yet.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It just feels a little sad IMO

As far as I can tell, it's only 7 players left from the Pre-McGahan era as of end of Season.

Laurie Weeks (2011)
Mitch Inman (2012)
Nic Stirzaker (2012)
Scott Fuglistaller (2013)
Cruze Ah-Nau (2013)
Tom English (2013)
Jordy Reid (2013)

The players still going professionally from that era?

Hugh Pyle (Stade Francais)
Luke Jones (Bordeaux)
Mark Gerrard (Suntory? Japan anyway)
Nick Phipps (Waratahs)
Peter Betham (Leicester)
Ged Robinson (Crusaders)
Gareth Delve (Ospreys)
Cooper Vuna (Worcestor)
Heath Tessman (Force)
Danny Cipriani (Sale)
Eddie Aholeilei (London Welsh)
Jono Owen (Aukland NPC)
Kurtley Beale (Waratahs)
James O'Connor (Toulon)
Paul Alo-Emile (Stade Francais)
Cadeyrn Neville (Reds)
Scott Higgenbotham (Japan)
Shota Horie (Sunwolves)
Bryce Hegarty (Waratahs)
Jason Woodward (Hurricanes)
Luke Burgess* (Zebre)

Now, some I wouldn't want back because they were never good enough with us, some because of other issues, and some couldn't because they're internationals.

But there's 4-5 I wouldn't mind still having in the squad.

Highlander35 Pat Leafa was also at Rebels in 2013 so he is pre-McGahan.

Also JP du Plessis who played 1 game for Rebels (well about 1 minute of 1 game) is playing for the Kings this year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pat was 2013? Must have missed that.

JP du Plessis huh? What a journeyman. Came over to play for the Roosters I think, then played with us, then I think he went to the Stormers, then bounced around Currie Cup sides. Back in Super Rugby now I guess. Good luck to him, but he deserves the journeyman mocker IMO.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Is Kellaway going to the Rebels?

I wish. Doubt McGahan would be interested though, unless they're thinking about him at 13? Love the Pama Fou pick up.

JP du Plessis is probably the worst player to wear Rebels colours. I still remember him in that first pre-season, utterly inept.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
That does suck for 7s, but as I said on one of the Sevens threads when people were denigrating me for being into Fou and Clark for 15s, I reckon he could be a real good asset for us, in the mold of the rangy Argentine winger who's name escapes me.

montero?

Status
Not open for further replies.