• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Where's it been reported that Debbie's back?

First reference from Genia's press conference. It's up on the Rebels YouTube channel. Scroll towards the end, when he's asked who he'd like to partner in the halves. JD also made a reference on his IG feed that he had finished up in Japan.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Maddocks at flyhalf? That’s a massive ask of a young bloke who has no real history at playing flyhalf.

It’s incredible that for all the amazing depth the Rebels have they are so short of options at flyhalf.

Although with all the quality around him, they really only need someone to underplay their hand and let the others around them create the magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was on the tour that Wallabies assistant coach Steve Larkham urged him to make the switch from fullback to five-eighth. Famously, Larkham himself started 10 Tests at fullback for the Wallabies before Rod Macqueen converted him to five-eighth for the Test against England in Brisbane in 1998 — won 76-0 by Australia. It was the beginning of a journey that would make Larkham the first playmaker in history to appear in successive World Cup finals. “He actually was the one who suggested it, about training at 10,” Maddocks told The Australian. “He talked me through the plays but he didn’t want to put too much into my head and just talked about basic stuff such as touching the ball early.”

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
I agree on Debra , i saw him do some really clever stuff from 10 ,, he lost his way for some reason but under a canny coach we might see him reach full potential .
on all the other stuff re lists etc lets face it its a tried an tested Melbourne formula ,, go way over the salary cap , win a few premierships , tons of support ,future fixed ,, they take back the premierships but who cares no one remembers that

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I agree on Debra , i saw him do some really clever stuff from 10 ,, he lost his way for some reason but under a canny coach we might see him reach full potential .
on all the other stuff re lists etc lets face it its a tried an tested Melbourne formula ,, go way over the salary cap , win a few premierships , tons of support ,future fixed ,, they take back the premierships but who cares no one remembers that
Lol. Funny thing about the article is that Lance leaving will put the Rebels under salary cap.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I’m sure this gets rolled out every time someone challenges a positional change like this. There are few Wallabies fan who aren’t aware of Larkham past, I was there in 98 for the thrashing of England. So the 15-10 switch has worked once with great success in the past 20years, but the game was a different beast back then less technical and Larkham was comparatively more experienced at both Super Rugby and Test level.

The problem with Australian flyhalves is poor game control, playing to a script rather then the defensive patterns unfolding in front of them, that only comes with experience. Someone like Maddocks may make a very good flyhalf in the future, but he would be better served getting experience in his preferred position before making the move to a far more difficult one.

For 2018 I would rate the flyhalf options in the following order:

1. Lance
2. Hodge
3. Horwitz
4. Adams
5. Maddocks

Although there really isn’t much between Hodge, Horwitz and Adams at this point.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
But how can that be. According to some people on the internet, the Rebels are so far above the cap that it is almost criminal (apparently).

If it helps, some players may not be getting paid at all by the Rebels yet as they would have been paid out of their Force contracts then just moved down. Also, Japanese Marquee aren't included under salary cap (Mafi) and foreign marquee (Parling) are listed as a capped price that is actually quite low. Doesn't account for all necessarily but does explain how they could be affording depth.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
For 2018 I would rate the flyhalf options in the following order:

1. Lance
2. Hodge
3. Horwitz
4. Adams
5. Maddocks

Although there really isn’t much between Hodge, Horwitz and Adams at this point.

I would think 2 to 5 are currently much of a muchness at 10 today each has issues

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
We have a lot of people on our books that are on moderate salaries. Apart from Genia, Koroibete and Coleman i don't think anyone would be on incredible coin. DHP and Hodge might be on a good wicket but they wouldn't be on anywhere close to the top earners. Maddocks, Uelese, Phillip, Meakes, Naivalu etc through their performances in the last 12 months would give the illusion they are on alot, but are still travelling around on salaries that don't reflect their talent id suspect. The issue for the Rebels will be once these guys are up for their next contract and retaining them then

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If it helps, some players may not be getting paid at all by the Rebels yet as they would have been paid out of their Force contracts then just moved down. Also, Japanese Marquee aren't included under salary cap (Mafi) and foreign marquee (Parling) are listed as a capped price that is actually quite low. Doesn't account for all necessarily but does explain how they could be affording depth.
Are we saying that the likes of Ruru and Rangi aren't being counted against the salary cap, or just the likes of Cottrell and Koteka who've not been signed but are training with the squad, presumably before rejoining the Spirit in the NRC and then the Force for Twiggyball.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Are we saying that the likes of Ruru and Rangi aren't being counted against the salary cap, or just the likes of Cottrell and Koteka who've not been signed but are training with the squad, presumably before rejoining the Spirit in the NRC and then the Force for Twiggyball.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

the latter, Ruru and Rangi will be counted. Baden Stephenson keeps saying that even with the "44" they are not that much over the cap, so losing Lance may well put them under.
ps Adams is the player who is consistently the 10 in the "probables" team at Rebels training, he seems to be Wessels' first choice at this stage and if Lance goes, i'd be staggered if he is not the starting 10 come February, injury gods permitting.

T

TOCC

I would think 2 to 5 are currently much of a muchness at 10 today each has issues

Hodge at least has a few years of Super Rugby and Test experience, Adams and Horwitz at least have experience controlling a game from flyhallf at NRC and SS level. They are all my least preferred option behind Lance, Maddocks doesn't need to be thrown to the wolves. People seem to froth on young blokes getting shifted to new positions, i hate it. For a new bloke learning the game shifting them to fly-half is like blasting them in the face with a fire hydrant of information and expecting them to capture it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.