• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep, the Rebels knocked the Brumbies off twice last year early and took a comfortable lead at the top of the conference. Did not mean anything come round 18.

Rebels have two really big sections of the season that they need to make sure they perform. Rounds 3-8, 4 home games a bye and trip to the Clan.

And 13-18, 4 home games, bye, trips to Sydney and Chiefs.

Well, I think it might have meant a lot to the Brumbies if not the Rebels. If I'm not mistaken, one win over the Rebels would (might) have secured second spot on the ladder and hence a home semi. What could've been.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Not surprising. Came back for a crack at the world cup and really didn't rise to the occasion

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
So did anyone else purchase a Rebels 10 year foundation member commemorative jersey? If so, have you heard any news of a delivery date? We are meant to have it before Friday night.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not surprising. Came back for a crack at the world cup and really didn't rise to the occasion
Yep last season he was on little more than a minimum contract. Sacrificed thousands to attempt to make it happen. I hadn’t heard he was leaving tho, will be a shame

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To'omua should be shifted to 12 and either Meakes at 10 (rebels looked way better when he shifted to 10) or deegan with To'omua possibly shifted to 12 or the bench. I think Louwrens should start at 9 with Lomani on the bench.

Positive was Ruan smith started off scratchy and being dominated at the scrum but came back.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Was interesting to hear Kearns diagnose Smith's technique flaw straight away, then have Wessels confirm it going into half time.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
To'omua should be shifted to 12 and either Meakes at 10 (rebels looked way better when he shifted to 10) or deegan with To'omua possibly shifted to 12 or the bench. I think Louwrens should start at 9 with Lomani on the bench.

Positive was Ruan smith started off scratchy and being dominated at the scrum but came back.

They oddly looked better with Louwrens though I'm struggling to put my finger on what it is about Lomani that isn't working. To'omua is a 12. I'd like to see Deegan given a honest stab at it (10). That said I rather like Meakes at 12, though I think he was better with the Quade partnership last year.

I think Kellaway has some potential that's not being realised. Some real gas that boy. He's trying too many solo things because the shape isnt giving him opportunities. Koroibete is likewise not being brought into the gameplan in a manner which utilises his strengths.

They almost look like a team that needs to pare it back to basics and rebuild from there. It was interesting to see Wessels admit that maybe some of his players were a little underdone, could have used some more trial game time, something a lot of us had commented on.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some crazy solutions I’d like to see would be DHP at 10, To'omua at 13 and Cottrell at 4 but way to late in their careers and the games mean to much to attempt these.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Some crazy solutions I’d like to see would be DHP at 10, To'omua at 13 and Cottrell at 4 but way to late in their careers and the games mean to much to attempt these.

Lol I never would have thought for one moment to put Meakes at 10 but lets face it Rebels looked way better when he was at 10 then To'omua. But yes logical changes are Deegan gets a run at 10, Louwrens as starting 9 (Lomani to the bench), and To'omua and Meakes to fight it out for 12.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Lol I never would have thought for one moment to put Meakes at 10 but lets face it Rebels looked way better when he was at 10 then To'omua. But yes logical changes are Deegan gets a run at 10, Louwrens as starting 9 (Lomani to the bench), and To'omua and Meakes to fight it out for 12.

Knew Meakes had the kicking game for 10, the kick pass to Maddocks last season and a few of the Rebels training videos show his actually really accurate out of hand. Passing game has always been solid so not surprised he went to 10.

Back row for this week HAS TO BE:

6: Wells
7: Hardwick
8: Naisarani

Anything else and we are not rewarding good performance. Cottrell scored a couple of trys but the back row had a lot of impact with this combo at the end. Plus need Hardwick to match Hooper for speed and disrupt his game as much as possible.

Finally a home game, god I hate starting a season on the road for a couple of weeks.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So did anyone else purchase a Rebels 10 year foundation member commemorative jersey? If so, have you heard any news of a delivery date? We are meant to have it before Friday night.

BLK sent out some comms aobut a week or so ago. THey've been delayed due to poor quality names printed on the front of jesery. As a "sorry we fucked up" gift, we're also receiving a 10 year commerative hat.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

He wasn't helped by some questionable scrum time calls from ba ba Berry. The first Scrum v Slipper was a good example.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
BLK sent out some comms aobut a week or so ago. THey've been delayed due to poor quality names printed on the front of jesery. As a "sorry we fucked up" gift, we're also receiving a 10 year commerative hat.

Thanks Tim. I didn't receive update from BLK (even checked my junk folder).

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

I'm still waiting on my member pack...!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'm still waiting on my member pack.!

You have to pick it up. Get down early on Friday and yo ucan collect, either from the merch tent at the north end, or maybe even the G paddock next door. Rebels recommend to get there early.