1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, May 9, 2019.

1. swingpass Jim Lenehan (48)

final count, 28 -17, "The A's have it, the A's have it" - apologies to former British parliament speaker, John Bercow, apt name actually.
    KevinO and Tex like this.
  2. molman Phil Hardcastle (33)

Silverado and wamberal like this.
  3. Wilson Bob Davidson (42)

Brisbane boy Michael Stolberg has been looking decent for the Sunwolves, would definitely be worth a look. Otherwise I think Hugh Pyle is in the last year of his contract at Stade, might be a good time to get him back for some good experience around an otherwise younger set of locks
  4. Rebelsfan Alfred Walker (16)

anyone know what happened to the Unicef sponsorship? I cant see their name on the kit tonight. Are they still committed to sending players to the Pacific Islands to work with Unicef on their projects in the region. Anyone know of any projects they worked with last year?
  5. molman Phil Hardcastle (33)

I made a similar comment in the Brumbies v. Sunwolves game thread. I thought he looked good in a somewhat disjointed team. Thought the Tah's lock stocks could do with an injection.

I haven't seen Hugh Pyle play in awhile. He must be getting on though. Isn't he like 32 or something?
  6. Dctarget John Thornett (49)

So Rebels have just beaten the Highlanders in NZ for the first time & also just won against the Lions for the first time ever! It’s not much but it’s something!
  7. Wilson Bob Davidson (42)

About that, you'd pick up Pyle to not stand in the way of a good young crop and to add some seniority and experience to help their development. I imagine you'd get one, maybe two seasons out of him at most though.
  8. Tex Ken Catchpole (46)

Rebs performed the triple threat over the weekend.

Big boys spanked the Lions, reserves beat the Brumbies A and the women's team finally got their maiden victory.

HQ must be buzzing!
    COX'S ROUTE likes this.
  9. Mr Wobbly John Solomon (38)

Have to say, these A team games have been a great innovation. Can't understand why the Reds haven't put in a side.
    molman and Silverado like this.
  10. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

I asked the question. They have committed to the NRC as their development program and they didn't want to take away from the clubs' preparations.

I also suspect both cost and the fact that other clubs have pillaged their players may be a factor too.
    molman likes this.
  11. qwerty51 Jason Little (69)

Pillaged their players? Huh? The A games are made up primarily of non-playing contracted members and guys in the extended squad and academies. What's the NRC development like from January-July ? Non-existent.
  12. Mr Wobbly John Solomon (38)

Thanks Reg, seems like a missed opportunity. There isn't much rugby on at the moment for the squadies.

Also, the pillaged players may have stayed home if they had a chance at a reds audition. Now some of them have tasted the good life in Melbourne and may not want to go back ;)
  13. VassMan Ward Prentice (10)

Can Meakes play 13? What do you guys think of shifting Toomua and Meakes out a spot to allow Deegan to play 10?
  14. Tex Ken Catchpole (46)

Yes but gents, if a bloke has gone through the Queensland pathways he should never ever consider a professional contract with a team other than the Reds.
  15. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

the club program is pretty good up here. I know it isn't necessarily so in other places.
    Bobby Sands and Purce like this.
  16. qwerty51 Jason Little (69)

Club rugby? How's that relevant to NRC or the other states?
  17. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

you asked what the NRC development was like from Jan to July, it's club rugby
    dru likes this.
  18. qwerty51 Jason Little (69)

But you used it as an excuse as to why the Reds don't have an A side.. it makes no sense - especially given club rugby hasn't started yet.
  19. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

I didn't. the QRU did.

Club rugby has started. Has had about 2 weeks of trials and pre-season started last year.

Personally I think its a cost thing.
  20. Adam84 Chilla Wilson (44)

Not sure if this has been shared, but for you Rebels fans, a man in his 50s with coronavirus attended the Rebels vs Lions game, if you sat near him maybe be prepared to be checked out?