• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Sometimes I forget the bubble I live in as a fan may be different to the one's players inhabit. For me, Wallabies are king and the ambition of all players must surely point towards a career in gold.

For them, they're in an industry that turns young bodies into pulp, occasionally brains into scrambled eggs and then spits them out after maybe 10 years max. If I was 25 and offered a 2x paycheck to live in Japan/France/UK/Ireland I'd jump at it too.

It makes less interesting speculation and undermines the 'traitor'/'mercenary' narrative that flows in the aussie exodus thread, but it's occam's razor imo.

(sean please come back, we miss you!)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
When is Wessels signed to? end of 2020?
I often forget that coaches are like players in that they grow, mature and will improve remarkably across their careers. Wessels is really young and in that sense I've been quite harsh on him. But really with the roster he had, he should've done more. I'm sure down the track he'll be a great coach, he's shown signs so far that he can. But as the Reds have taught me, super rugby isn't a place to let coaches leisurely grow into the role. Do we think Wessels is the coach for the Rebels or should they be looking elsewhere?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
When is Wessels signed to? end of 2020?
I often forget that coaches are like players in that they grow, mature and will improve remarkably across their careers. Wessels is really young and in that sense I've been quite harsh on him. But really with the roster he had, he should've done more. I'm sure down the track he'll be a great coach, he's shown signs so far that he can. But as the Reds have taught me, super rugby isn't a place to let coaches leisurely grow into the role. Do we think Wessels is the coach for the Rebels or should they be looking elsewhere?
It appears to be an institutional problem. There have been a few Rebels teams who have had very strong rosters and achieved little - though i agree this latest iteration has probably been the strongest.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
My biggest wish for 2020 is that we actually have a style/way we want to play, and implement in all areas from recruitment to selection to execution. There seems to be not much rhyme or reason the last couple of seasons, beyond getting the 23 "best available" players on the field and see what happens.

Particularly in the back row and outside backs, I want to see selections reflect the style of game we want to play. If that's putting pressure on the oppositions line out, I want to see a couple of good kickers in the outside backs and at least one very good jumper in the back row. If it's high mobility and aggressive defense, I want to see the likes of Wilkin/Hardwick play in the same side, and good structural defenders in the backline. If it's size and power we want, I expect to see more of the left field Cottrell or Leota at 7, and going out and recruiting at least one back who fits that mould.

I don't really care what it is, but I'd like more than this, predictable, almost schoolboy type set up where you just put your best players in and the team ends up being less than the sum of its parts.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i'd keep Wessels at least for another year or two, despite the results this year being underwhelming. i think he is still young and learning, next year he will have Stiles to help. the Rebels jettisoned their last young up and coming coach, just when things started to improve, and we three years of TT !!! agree with Highlander, i think having so many to choose from has actually hindered the clubs progress in some ways.

but i hope whoever is supposed to be doing defence is shunted because to me the D pattern is the worst in Super Rugby, "wide open spaces on the flanks to exploit."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
if Genia goes it's all back to square one anyway isn't it? Cooper pretty key to that as well as there isn't a back up 10.

Coleman and Korobiete. Shees. This was the year I'm afraid.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
if Genia goes it's all back to square one anyway isn't it? Cooper pretty key to that as well as there isn't a back up 10.

Coleman and Korobiete. Shees. This was the year I'm afraid.

Coleman has been pretty anonymous since he joined the Rebels. Genia has been incredibly hot and cold.

Koriobete would be a big loss. He has played really well for the second half of the season - after being anonymous for the first half of the season.

Really though, the fundamental problem is that the Rebels play well when they are given some space at the breakdown and run rampant. As soon as teams worked out their style, most are able to close them down and then the plan B for the Rebels is to mindlessly kick the ball.

I think the issue is strategy not personnel

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think you're trying to convince yourself with those arguments.

But if you think they're well placed for next year then good stuff.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Coleman has been pretty anonymous since he joined the Rebels. Genia has been incredibly hot and cold.

Koriobete would be a big loss. He has played really well for the second half of the season - after being anonymous for the first half of the season.

Really though, the fundamental problem is that the Rebels play well when they are given some space at the breakdown and run rampant. As soon as teams worked out their style, most are able to close them down and then the plan B for the Rebels is to mindlessly kick the ball.

I think the issue is strategy not personnel

Agreed, we don't have a playing identity yet. To'omua has just joined and will take a while to bed in, plus we don't have a view on who we're recruiting for next season. It's fair to assume WG, QC (Quade Cooper) & MK will leave but that gives others an opportunity, Tupou may come through

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I would like to see more "dog" in the pack though
Agreed, we don't have a playing identity yet. To'omua has just joined and will take a while to bed in, plus we don't have a view on who we're recruiting for next season. It's fair to assume WG, QC (Quade Cooper) & MK will leave but that gives others an opportunity, Tupou may come through

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I don't get this "lack of identity" discussion. The Rebels (currently) have the most distinctive game plan of just about any Super Rugby team.

Genia runs the play, looking for quick ball to his forward runners. Cooper hangs back in the pocket directing the backs and wating for an opportunity.

Your issue is going to be if or when Genia leaves, it requires a whole new game plan because there's no one else in the country that can direct play and offer his oiwn risks like he can. We've seen that since the KO.

The downside to having such a readily identifiable playing style is that it gets analyzed and it gets found out if you can't adapt.

Stop Genia (through borderline harassment holding back etc) or stop the fast ball from forward runners and you stop the Rebels.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I don't get this "lack of identity" discussion. The Rebels (currently) have the most distinctive game plan of just about any Super Rugby team.

Genia runs the play, looking for quick ball to his forward runners. Cooper hangs back in the pocket directing the backs and wating for an opportunity.

Your issue is going to be if or when Genia leaves, it requires a whole new game plan because there's no one else in the country that can direct play and offer his oiwn risks like he can. We've seen that since the KO.

The downside to having such a readily identifiable playing style is that it gets analyzed and it gets found out if you can't adapt.

Stop Genia (through borderline harassment holding back etc) or stop the fast ball from forward runners and you stop the Rebels.

Mmm, pretty limited, I'd like to see a style of play that is dependant on one player or two, see how Saracens are dominating Northern Hemisphere rugby even when their stars are away on international duty

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

And that is exactly our problem and what has happened this year.

We won the first 3 games against the Brumbies and the Highlanders before we could get analysed. Since then, we have only beaten the Sunwolves and the Reds twice - that is the bottom two teams in the whole competition. Every other team has been able to cover our Plan A and beat us.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
And that is exactly our problem and what has happened this year.

We won the first 3 games against the Brumbies and the Highlanders before we could get analysed. Since then, we have only beaten the Sunwolves and the Reds twice - that is the bottom two teams in the whole competition. Every other team has been able to cover our Plan A and beat us.

And that is also the reason we fail in attack, because we don't seem to be able to identify the weakness of the opponent and try to hold them back, we just keep doing the same thing

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
And that is also the reason we fail in attack, because we don't seem to be able to identify the weakness of the opponent and try to hold them back, we just keep doing the same thing
Really annoying when we have been able to steal so much line out this year and come away with nothing for it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
See ya Will.
99A3C925-EEFD-4377-A8FA-3E2E9F04BFB4.png