• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Cheetahs - Round 4 - Super Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
MELBOURNE REBELS v CENTRAL CHEETAHS
SUNDAY MARCH 18, 2012
AAMI PARK, MELBOURNE
RECORD - CENTRAL 1 MELBOURNE 0
LAST - CENTRAL 41 def MELBOURNE 21, 2011 R14, FREE STATE STADIUM
AAMI Park opens its doors on a Sunday for the first time in the Rebels' history, as the club is given a family-friendly timeslot to offer another option to the F1 Grand Prix happening over at Albert Park.​
The home team will need to capitalise on the ever-improving form they seem to be showing - the second half of their game against the Waratahs and an incredible defensive showing against the Reds only mustering them one competition point.​
They catch the vulnerable Cheetahs at the perfect time, with the visitors reaching the end of their first roadtrip with only two points under the belt, having given up winnable games against the Brumbies and Lions, and copping a pasting against the Bulls.​
A big, big game for both teams. The Cheetahs need a kick start to their season, the Rebels need a 5-pointer to prove they're not a flash in the pan.​

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
When was this flash they're talking about?

Last year the Rebs really struggled to put in 2 good performances back to back. If they've got that sorted they could well finish third in our conference and knock off a few good sides. Rebs by 12 if they can follow on from last week.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i don't know that I would change anything about the squad this week. will be great if we can throw out the same names and get a bit of consistency.

I thought kingi was, no suprises here, great at 9. while his passes might not be as crisp as phipps', his service is a lot faster and he offers more in general play.

Chamberlain - if he can play like that again! I'll be happy to see either Saffy or Davo start, though i suspect saffy will. However, i'll have to have a look over the cheetahs team as it might be good to keep davo in for another jumber...though i suppose we have pyle, jones and chamberlain.

the front row was great. weeks is finding form and henderson was solid as ever. big bad blake is proving an excellent front row sub.

i'm looking forward to having freier and ged compete for the 2 jersey.

i am liking the way the lineup worked yesterday and would suggest that old mortlock will have a tough time breaking in. i suspect he'll initially poach huxley's spot on the bench.

Mitch Inman, as a few of you have said before, is looking like an absolute gun recruit.

surprisingly i suppose, i thought gerrard actually looked really good on the wing for a guy with limited pace. he got in the right position and got up on his man.

gareth delve has an absurd work rate.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
oh...if we don't win this i'll be very very dissapointed. this is ours for the taking and we can leverage it into a second win in a row against the force in two weeks time.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Chamberlain was beyond abject against the Waratahs, one of the worst games I've ever seen from a professional. I'd be happy to see a Jones - Saffy - Delve backrow. We're going to have to be very switched on at the breakdown - Brussow will slay us otherwise. No silly penalties either, Goosen is too good with the boot for that.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
With the reputation that Brussow has, the Rebels would be insane NOT to play Saffy if he is fit. The guy is a constant pest at the breakdown, and tackles himself to a standstill in every game. Paired with Delve, it doesn't matter who you throw on the other side of the scrum, those guys will do the work of a whole pack between them.

Cipriani should get more protection from his backrow this week, which will relieve some of the pressure on blokes who defend outside of him. Will be an interesting game.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Chamberlain was beyond abject against the Waratahs, one of the worst games I've ever seen from a professional. I'd be happy to see a Jones - Saffy - Delve backrow. We're going to have to be very switched on at the breakdown - Brussow will slay us otherwise. No silly penalties either, Goosen is too good with the boot for that.

agreed. but he was superb against the reds. I'd back that "form"

suspect we will see saffy slip into a starting role and davo coming off the bench to play 6 probably for chamberlain and saffy switching to 7.

alternatively could put saffy at 7, chamberlain into the second row and bring jones back to 6.

i'm not sure which combination I would prefer...as long as saffy is getting a solid run i'm happy.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought he was fine against a poor Reds team, nothing too amazing. I agree we'll likely see Saffy - Chamberlain - Delve with Jones locking down with Pyle again. Providing there's no injuries during the week, this should be close to the best team the Rebels have ever put out.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Can anyone else remember a time the Rebels have been favourites?

I expect a comfortable win in this one.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
would be one of a few times we've been able to put out a full strength squad, especially if Ged is back..which he will be by the sounds of it.

only through the inclusion of lipman will we see this squad improve. keep it nice and soft at training boys.

very much looking forward to a sunday arvo fixture.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Two exciting things (for me) about this game:

- one, great to see the Rebels now really improving in 2012, especially a la the Reds game, this is nothing but a terrific trend line for Aus rugby as a whole, and you'd expect to see significant improvement in Year 2 of a new franchise.

- but, two, an acid test, will they sustain it with a solid win over the Cheetahs? (Interestingly, there were teams that took the Reds to or over the Reds' limit last year, but then could not sustain the impact or momentum in their following games, e.g., Brumbies at Suncorp, Hurricanes in NZ, Tahs at Suncorp.)

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
This really is an absolutely must-win game for the Rebels. If they're going to be taken at all seriously, they're going to have to start winning games - an 11-game losing streak is frankly pathetic. With an improved defence and the addition of JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale, games against bottom teams this year (Cheetahs, Brumbies, Force, Lions etc.) should all be penned in for four points.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
This really is an absolutely must-win game for the Rebels. If they're going to be taken at all seriously, they're going to have to start winning games - an 11-game losing streak is frankly pathetic. With an improved defence and the addition of JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale, games against bottom teams this year (Cheetahs, Brumbies, Force, Lions etc.) should all be penned in for four points.
So the Rebels have improved but all the other teams are static. Therefore the Rebels should be better. Makes perfect sense to me too.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
So the Rebels have improved but all the other teams are static. Therefore the Rebels should be better. Makes perfect sense to me too.

Boet, I think it's going to be a very, very close game - I won't be at all surprised if the Cheetahs win. They were excellent at times last year, and I really like the way they go about things. I just think if the Rebels are going to start getting wins on the board, it's games like these they have to target.

Very excited to see Goosen play by the way, I've been hearing about him for a couple of years now and he's looked good so far this year.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't think we should take the Cheetahs so lightly. Yes Sarel is a big loss, but don't forget the form they had towards the end of last year. they caused a few heart attacks amongst some quality opposition.
they still have some excellent attacking players and some great forwards in brussouw, strauss and oosthuizen. goosen is deadly accurate and le roux looks to be the goods.

this is by no means a 5 point bye (thank you greg growden).

and note on the lions - we play them away in jo'burg - no easy feat to get a win over there especially on the first leg of a south african tour.

T

tranquility

Kingi added so much to the Rebels attack, it's absurd that he has spent so much time on the wing.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
In 26 minutes last week, Saffy made 10 tackles. The highest for the game was Luke Jones with 19 from 71 minutes.

Saffy is a beast.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't think we should take the Cheetahs so lightly. Yes Sarel is a big loss, but don't forget the form they had towards the end of last year. they caused a few heart attacks amongst some quality opposition.
they still have some excellent attacking players and some great forwards in brussouw, strauss and oosthuizen. goosen is deadly accurate and le roux looks to be the goods.

this is by no means a 5 point bye.

I agree. The Rebels need to be a bit wary of this one. They seem to do better when no one gives them hope. The Reds game is a good example. Those that write off the Cheetahs do so at their own peril (just ask us Tahs supporters).

The Rebels will need to focus for the full 80 minutes plus some. I think it'll come down to the wire. Go Rebels!

Status
Not open for further replies.