• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

REBELS v CHIEFS Round 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
First game against a Kiwi side in Melbourne this year. Australian teams with a good record over the Kiwi's this season.

Rebels with a good home record against the Kiwi's in Melbourne.

Anyone going to take a guess at a result for this one?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Rebels to win.

I'm the eternal optimist and think the harsh lessons from the Crusaders and Kings games must have sunk in by now.

Combinations are looking good, key players in sparkling form, coaching staff hopefully using better judgement with the bench, home crowd, and most importantly more composure at the death.

Their backline are a handful but if we can match the intensity of the middle 60 minutes from the weekend there'll be some champagne rugby on display.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The mark of the teams higher in the ladder (e.g. Brumbies, Reds) is that they are more consistent week to week, and still manage to be competitive in their poorer weeks (which happen infrequently).

Rebels and Force aren't there yet, they seem to be cometitive for a week or two, then give poor performances for a week or two.

Hoping that the Rebels and Force become more consistent, but going by recent results this Rebels team could either turn up or get blown off the park. Seeing as they turned up in a big way against the Crusaders, I am leaning towards a solid Chiefs victory.

That being said, I'd love to see the Rebels get up.

I hope Saffy gets another shot at a starting position as well.

Beale to the bench this week too?

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I'm the eternal optimist and think the harsh lessons from the Crusaders and Kings games must have sunk in by now.
They've been sinking in for 2+ seasons now.

Line in the sand game almost. As long as we fight for the 80 minutes, the rest is up to the so-called Rugby Gods. By that, I mean no more 60 minute performances.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He was hardly ever "in".
Gotta be the most injury prone All Black I have ever seen.
It's a shame, awesome player.

When you use your shoulders like a weapon week in and week out damage is bound to happen.

Speaking of defensive centers Inman laid some good hits in the 'Saders game but his lack of pace and agility cost the Rebs dearly a few times in attack during the match. Early on if he had been able to turn the corner on Crotty (I think it was) they would have had a good shot at a try.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
1. Pauliasi Manu,
2. Mahonri Schwalger,
3. Ben Tameifuna,
4. Craig Clarke (c)
5. Brodie Retallick,
6. Liam Messam,
7. Sam Cane,
8. Matt Vant Leven,
9. Brendon Leonard,
10. Aaron Cruden,
11. Asaeli Tikoirotuma,
12. Bundee Aki,
13. Tim Nanai-Williams,
14. Lelia Masaga,
15. Gareth Anscombe

Reserves:
16. Hika Elliot,
17. Toby Smith,
18. Michael Fitzgerald,
19. Tanerau Latimer,
20. Augustine Pulu,
21. Robbie Robinson,
22. Patrick Osborne

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting to see how Manu plays, after all he did fail the medical to join the Rebels.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Rebels:
15 Jason Woodward,
14 Tom English,
13 Mitch Inman,
12 Rory Sidey,
11 Cooper Vuna,
10 James O'Connor,
9 Nick Phipps,
8 Scott Higginbotham (c),
7 Scott Fuglistaller,
6 Jarrod Saffy,
5 Cadeyrn Neville,
4 Hugh Pyle,
3 Laurie Weeks,
2 Ged Robinson,
1 Nic Henderson.
Replacements:
16 Shota Horie,
17 Paul Alo-Emile,
18 Luke Jones,
19 Gareth Delve,
20 Nic Stirzaker,
21 Kurtley Beale,
22 Lachlan Mitchell.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
quite happy with that. aside from hooker and prop we have a very strong bench.
I'd like to see phipps off at 55-60 and Sidey off at 50 with beale coming on to play 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) slipping to 12
Mitchell on to the wing for the final 15
all depending on the game of course.
Fuglistaller off for Delve and higgers to 6 - not tooooo shabby

Rebels are going to win this.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Can't really give out about Robinson. He has been playing well and is our leading try scorer at the moment. Rather Sidey coming on for the last 20 than starting. Glad English is getting another game, thought he did pretty good last weekend for his first game.

Wonder how much say Robbie and the ARU are having keeping our captain on the bench?

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wonder how much say Robbie and the ARU are having keeping our captain on the bench?[/quote]
How about absolutely none !

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wonder how much say Robbie and the ARU are having keeping our captain on the bench?
How about absolutely none !

I agree, Hill may not be the greatest coach ever but giving Higgers the captaincy was a gamble that paid off, he's been in great form since. The added responsibility has lifted his game. The same with JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, I don't think he's best suited to to 10 and he's not captain material, but he's been playing really well since being given the responsibility of running the back line.

Delve has been quiet or injured this year and with him being gone next year making higgers captain now is a pretty astute move.

sammy3191

Bob McCowan (2)
Will be a close game, if the Rebels can play for 80 minutes then they have a good chance of winning on Friday, if they close down after 60mins like usual they'll end up coming 2nd.

Looking forward to going to the rugby seems like a long time since the last home match.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
So who is our development Aussie hooker?

Don't see the point in Shota Horie clogging up a foreign spot and wasting on the bench as well.

Good Ol' Ged won't be around forever and Tessman is the same age....

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
So who is our development Aussie hooker?

Don't see the point in Shota Horie clogging up a foreign spot and wasting on the bench as well.

Good Ol' Ged won't be around forever and Tessman is the same age..
They've got Tom Sexton from Leinster for next season who is Melbourne-born. He's 23 so not sure if he fits the "development" category.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Watched some of the G&GR highlights mashup videos and was reminded how slick Nanai-Williams can be on his feet. Inman will have his hands full stopping that outside gas.

Good to see KB (Kurtley Beale) back, hopefully his head is in the right place and he's moving in a positive direction with life and rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.