• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Drua

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Good win for the Rebels.

In Drua's hands to win that one but some ill discipline when it finally felt like they were creating some opportunities and chasing a game with 2 players in the bin after already having a player off for 10mins made things beyond challenging. The Rebels were already getting good pay from the scrum even before Tupou was on the field.

@Derpus Agree that Daugunu had a good game. Lancaster's showing highlights why the sevens program is such an asset. The footwork into contact and ability to beat the first (second and third) man was notable. Carter had a reasonable game, though he still needs to tighten up his off the tee kicking.

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
From the replay I thought he dropped it. Possibly a square up for the one he actually scored and Murphy didn't go upstairs for.
Agree. It looked suspect and the fact they didn't look more closely was as questionable as them not looking more closely at the earlier one which it looked that he got, but there was a bit of that game which I'm not sure Murphy was over.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just finished the first half. Was expecting it to be much worse than it was by the comments on here. Carter's kick under the bar was ugly but beyond that he was fine. Drua had a great break out try and converted possession better but Rebels still went in to HT only 5 points behind.

Angelo Smith was a stand out for me with ball in hand, made so many metres post contact. His tackling needs work though.
Him and the Rebels tight 5 kept them in the game. They had a dominant scrum and maul and Canham got a nice steal in there, so kudos to the front row for that. Gibbon & Talakai pretty industrious. Then Uelese had a good game in attack, nailed his throws and was the beneficiary of a great maul for his try. But he still had 5m to power over. His extra weight on Mafi shows. I think despite all the teeth gnashing he'll be around the Wallaby camp.

Daugunu typically good. But I love what I see from Darby Lancaster. Does so much off the ball as well. I hope he hangs around, I think he has a bright future. In one half, he won a turnover penalty, laid a dominant tackle then stole an intercept to prevent a try. Such a bonus having a winger do that, big upgrade on Anderson. Feluai and Jooste anonymous though.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
how good to have a rebels game im actually keen to watch.

Any strong performers? I see Glenny got two down?
In the immortal words of Noah: CARTER GORDON!

Absolutely fucked a couple important kicks but was fantastic. Strong defence, passing at the line, creative.

Ref missed some sitters too.

10/10 from this biased poster. Really enjoyed tonight, and huge respect to the Fijian brothers and sisters in the crowd. If we get zooted I'll be watching Drua as my team.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Absolutely fucked a couple important kicks but was fantastic. Strong defence, passing at the line, creative.
How good was that peach of a cut out by Carter to send Vaihu over in the corner, then he slotted it from the sideline. Then absolutely belts one of the Drua with a monster tackle to win a penalty, not a bad 2 minutes. What a weapon, I know we say everything else comes first for a 10 then defense but it's lovely not only not having to hide your 10 but their defense being a strength. Only a week ago his try saving tackle on Pietsch too.

edit: also just saw his lovely tap pass on to Vaihu for his 2nd (after Tupou's great run). Also laid a dominant tackle to disrupt the ball before Daugunu's slip n slide try. Two tackles leading to two turnovers from the flyhalf.

Last edited:

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Two red cards belied a pretty fair game. Put both down to the red mist, as bad as they were.

Not many cynical penalties, generally played in good spirits.

But there was a 10 minute period in the second half at the Rebels end where there was genuine spite and violence in contact, culminating in the headbut on Mafi. Hectic

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Expect to see Lomani have a long ban.
1712319493504.png

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

As good as he is, he still has a ways to go with his game management / ability to ‘boss it’. Rebels appeared rudderless through several periods of play which, while not all his fault, needed someone to step up and take charge. No doubt it’ll come with time

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Carter Gordan. I keep saying it. Toughest Aussie 10 I have seen maybe ever. Kicking to touch was unreal, playing making great, how many tackles did he make ? If he plays like that every week he has to start for the wallabies. makes the odd error but if he can get that out of his game it's a no brainer

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
FT thoughts.

Beyond Frank's RC, the tight 5 and their replacements won that. Dominant scrum, lineout and maul. Felt like the Drua hadn't studied the Rebels at all. Didn't attack our breakdown, their lineout defense sucked. Only a few games ago we lost nearly every lineout to the Brumbies, they read us like a book. Drua never threatened, had clean ball the whole time. Gibbon/Talakai to IAK/Tupou is great.

The sooner Proctor can replace Feliuai the better, his little cameo at the end was great.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Such a shame to see a Fiji side go back to how they used to be years ago. Dirty foul play. They are way better than that

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think Tupou might get pulled up for a high shot on Ravutaumada who failed his HIA.

Also fun fact tonight was the 1st and 2nd time that a full game red card has been given since the 20 minute ones were introduced.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What the fuck was that from the Drua and the reds? Absolute brain explosions, both of them. The thing that blew my mind was Lomani blowing up about his. Mate, you elbowed a bloke in the back of the head!!!

Aside from that, wild but entertaining footy. I thought the Rebels were superb in the second half, Carter in particular.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Carter Gordon and the whole pack were the standouts. Need better ball retention and fewer unnecessary offloads in close contact. Just too much spilt ball in great attacking positions in the first half.

Filipo was good in parts but his handling is still awful and he missed some fairly easy tackles. Did his good make up for the errors. I didn't think so. Also, I am left unimpressed with Darby Lancaster. I simply didn't see in him the performance some are talking up. Tupou continues to get better in open play too while his scrum work is so valuable.