• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds 25/03 @ AAMI

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
You'll be doing it without Sef - 3 week ban from the judiciary.
But yea, we will be without Reece too, so we're all a bit stuffed.
Assuming the cold Melbourne weather will slow down the Queenslanders, and we're in for a narrow 8 point win.
No worries at all, we've got plenty of front row depth to lean on. Reds by 40

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like wallabies player management is in full swing. i fear we could see no Gibbon, Pone, Tate, Fraser & Wilson
Not sure any of those guys would've been in the main set of wallabies requiring rest, maybe the props after the injuries to Tupou and Bell but that's a stretch. Brumbies situation is a bit different - Slipper, Valetini, Samu, White, Ikitau and Wright were all front line wallabies on big minutes last year and haven't missed a game yet.

The guys that would qualify from the Reds and Rebels are guys like Kellaway, Hodge, Petaia and Paisami all of whom are out injured or have already missed games this year.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

Sula-Siaosi in for Sef, Harry Wilson brings up 50 and Kalani gets a well earned start (with Tate on the bench as wallabies rest)

20230323_111757.jpg

20230323_111759.jpg

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Pretty strong team. I thought Kalani finished last season quite strongly so looking forward to seeing what he can do this weekend.

Hard not to see the Reds getting up by at least 60 here given we beat the Force by 50. And their fans are relatively passionate.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1 Matt Gibbon

2 Alex Mafi

3 Sam Talakai

4 Trevor Hosea

5 Tuaina Taii Tualima

6 Josh Kemeny

7 Brad Wilkin

8 Vaiolini Ekuasi

9 Ryan Louwrens

10 Carter Gordon

11 Monty Ioane

12 David Feliuai

13 Stacey Ili

14 Lachie Anderson

15 Joe Pincus

16 Anaru Rangi

17 Cabous Eloff

18 Pone Fa'amausili

19 Angelo Smith

20 Daniel Maiava

21 James Tuttle

22 Glen Vaihu

23 Nick Jooste

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Huge loss for the Rebels, Hardwick had been their best.

Ekuasi has potential, but I'm not sure he's played much 8. If he doesn't have the control at the back it could stop the rebels from making the most of any scrum dominance they get.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
"Tate on the bench as Wallaby rest".

How does that work?
From the article:
Thomas’ inclusion in the starting side sees skipper Tate McDermott drop to the bench, a planned rest week for the Wallaby scrumhalf.

I assume he is in the second category of Wallabies and the is on limited minutes this round rather than being required to have a complete rest. Not sure if that's a cumulative minutes thing or just rotation every x games.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interesting. IIRC the intention was that players would also be rested from training in the Wallaby rest week. Would be odd if there are two standards.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting. IIRC the intention was that players would also be rested from training in the Wallaby rest week. Would be odd if there are two standards.
I believe there are at least 3 standards depending on the player's game time with the wallabies last year and age/injury profile. It doesn't make sense to have a blanket policy and end up resting guys who would benefit more from game time.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Huge loss for the Rebels, Hardwick had been their best.

Ekuasi has potential, but I'm not sure he's played much 8. If he doesn't have the control at the back it could stop the rebels from making the most of any scrum dominance they get.
Hardwick's turnovers are good for one or two try savers a game